Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #251
txbowkill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I find that very odd.
Do you think they should be ranked higher? Of the eight 8 one loss teams ranked higher than Kentucky, 3 have losses to unranked opponents, another has a loss to Kentucky.
txbowkill is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #252
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Ha!!

I like the dog with the tongue better!!
RLB is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #253
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
Why? They’re a very good football team.....and I’m just asking, not arguing your opinion.

Just based on the one game I watched them play, against your Aggies. The Aggies looked like they had a terrible game, UK looked likethey were a terrible football team. Their quarterback was awful that day though. The fact that they haven't lost three games yet leads me to believe the toughest part of their schedule is yet to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #254
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Ha!!

I like the dog with the tongue better!!

Libby is gonna be heartbroken
Smart is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #255
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
If you wanna **** and moan over SOS.

This is based on the formula the committee uses:

Playoff Committee SOS Ranks of P5 Conference Leaders:

7 #LSU #GeauxTigers
27 #NotreDame #GoIrish
28 #Oklahoma #Sooners
32 #Texas #HookEm
34 #Michigan #GoBlue
36 #Clemson #ALLIN
46 #Georgia #GoDawgs
66 #Miami #Canes
77 #Bama #RTR
87 #WestVirginia #HailWV
115 #Oregon #GoDucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Believe I said this of LSU a couple of weeks ago -- without statistical evidence. Either way, still have to keep winning.

Geaux Tigahs!
tradtiger is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #256
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

The Horns are the only state team that still has a "realistic" shot at the CFP. Of course, I think they will still stumble somewhere along the way, although the schedule sets up favorably with WV and ISU at home. I also don't think they would beat OU in a rematch. I think it will also take help in the form of a loss from ND or Clemson to open a spot.

As for the Ags, BAS reminds us that the Aggies' season really starts next week. A 5-2 record at the bye is probablly where most Ags realistically hoped to be when the season started. With ranked @MSU, @Auburn and LSU remaining (in addition to OM and a cupcake at home), the "success" of this season is still very much up in the air.

I'm curious what my fellow Aggies (and anybody else with a legitimate opinion) would expect for the last 5 games? What is the minimum you need to see to continue to feel good about the "direction" of the program? What would you consider yet another "collapse?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #257
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just based on the one game I watched them play, against your Aggies. The Aggies looked like they had a terrible game, UK looked likethey were a terrible football team. Their quarterback was awful that day though. The fact that they haven't lost three games yet leads me to believe the toughest part of their schedule is yet to come.

Welll they beat Florida in “The Swamp”, which I’m not sure they’ve ever done....they beat #22 MSU by three touchdowns. I agree, they have a couple tough games ahead with Georgia and Mizzu. Georgia being the big one.

They have 8 seniors on their starting defense and the #1 overall projected LB I’m the 2019 draft. They’re pretty salty, but lots of football left before they hand out the bowl game invites....we’ll see.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #258
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The Horns are the only state team that still has a "realistic" shot at the CFP. Of course, I think they will still stumble somewhere along the way, although the schedule sets up favorably with WV and ISU at home. I also don't think they would beat OU in a rematch. I think it will also take help in the form of a loss from ND or Clemson to open a spot.

As for the Ags, BAS reminds us that the Aggies' season really starts next week. A 5-2 record at the bye is probablly where most Ags realistically hoped to be when the season started. With ranked @MSU, @Auburn and LSU remaining (in addition to OM and a cupcake at home), the "success" of this season is still very much up in the air.

I'm curious what my fellow Aggies (and anybody else with a legitimate opinion) would expect for the last 5 games? What is the minimum you need to see to continue to feel good about the "direction" of the program? What would you consider yet another "collapse?"
Realistically 3-2.....with losses to MSU and LSU. Either way, we’re winning on the recruiting front, just by having the name Jimbo knocking on the doors.

4-1/5-0 is a huge long shot with Mond at the helm.....still not sold on him improving.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #259
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:

I’d feel pretty good now. While the big play defense numbers are actually worse than 2017, that unit is significantly better and they’ve made big strides under the new staff.

Chad C is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #260
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

A&M's defense has been way better than in many years past, especially way better than Sumlin, but their offense is to me still hit and miss. They should have rolled Kentucky and SC, but did not due to penalties and turnovers an not so good play by the secondary.
What I do like is their never quiet attitude and the fire that Fisher shows.
Time will tell on who has a good record at the end of the year, but A&M's schedule is not easy and Texas has some maybe tough teams left. some of the team that BOTH have played were way over ranked as I think both Texas and A&M are over ranked at this point in the season.
Bama is Bama and A&M should have beaten Clemson. TCU is not that good right now and OU has no defense. Losses ain't good anywhere, but if Sumlin would still have been around those losses to Bama and Clemson would have been way worse and I am not sure they would have beaten Arkansas or SC.
I do not Like TT nor Texas with a passion, but I will still buy rounds if Bob and I and I will have to add Smart in the mix if we can ever meet somewhere!

GO AGS!
Mudslinger is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #261
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Welll they beat Florida in “The Swamp”, which I’m not sure they’ve ever done....they beat #22 MSU by three touchdowns. I agree, they have a couple tough games ahead with Georgia and Mizzu. Georgia being the big one.

They have 8 seniors on their starting defense and the #1 overall projected LB I’m the 2019 draft. They’re pretty salty, but lots of football left before they hand out the bowl game invites....we’ll see.
Mizzou, lol
eradicator is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #262
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:

So the season was over before it started? I think I get what you are trying to say, but if most actually feel that way then this thread would run a lot smoother I hope they win them all!!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #263
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default 2018 College Football - Week 8

Mizzou is a joke, Florida is Hit or Miss, Tennessee is a Hot Mess, Vandy is Well Vandy and South Carlolina is nothing to worry about.

Kentucky should finish second in the East with ease since they beat UF. Maybe they’ll knock off the dawgs as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #264
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Realistically 3-2.....with losses to MSU and LSU. Either way, we’re winning on the recruiting front, just by having the name Jimbo knocking on the doors.

4-1/5-0 is a huge long shot with Mond at the helm.....still not sold on him improving.
I think this team is capable of winning all of them. Realistically, I think 3-2 is more likely. I'd be ecstatic if they can win their home games and split the two remaining on the road. Anything less than 3-2 would probably be disappointing, although winning the finale against LSU would lessen the sting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #265
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
My only argument for Bama losing one is it's HARD to go undefeated and it's been a while since they have done it. Have they already secured a spot in the trophy case for this years crystal?
I would have probably been OK with one loss. However, the way we have gone through the cupcakes so far has made it tough to not look ahead. It is still one game at a time. UT is next.

There is always room for one more. Since CNS is on the dotted line until a flexible 2025 it may be time to tell the contractor to get ready.
17ncs is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #266
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County
Default 2018 College Football - Week 8

I’d be happy with a 3-2 finish in these last 5. I think we can go 4-1 and that would be a huge for the program. Fisher would be well above the target in year one. But we can’t go 4-1 without beating Miss St next week. Until further notice I don’t think we are ready to beat L$U.

Pin Oak DXT is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #267
Sparzo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
I’d be happy with a 3-2 finish in these last 5. I think we can go 4-1 and that would be a huge for the program. Fisher would be well above the target in year one. But we can’t go 4-1 without beating Miss St next week. Until further notice I don’t think we are ready to beat L$U.

Agree.

Sparzo is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #268
Dave

Quote:

UK has a very good chance to finish with only one more loss. I think they looked bad because the A&M run defense took away their main two threats with the front 7 and their play action passing game couldn't get going because of it. Teams that will have to commit safeties to stop their run game will not do so well.
Dave is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #269
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
UK has a very good chance to finish with only one more loss. I think they looked bad because the A&M run defense took away their main two threats with the front 7 and their play action passing game couldn't get going because of it. Teams that will have to commit safeties to stop their run game will not do so well.

Very possible, I based everything on one game.

Dale Moser is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #270
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Very possible, I based everything on one game.

They’re one dimensional and it played into the Aggies Strength.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #271
Dave

Quote:
I think A&M can win out but none of them, except UAB, will be a blowout either way. LSU fits in a different category, they have a ton of confidence and are playing a very similar style of heavy run, field position football with a strong defense to back it up. That will be a strength on strength game that will be interesting to watch and a lot could and probably will change between now and then.

Ultimately 3-2 would be very possible but I think 4-1 is more likely.
Dave is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #272
Goodfellah
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co, Newton Co, Crystal City

Quote:

I semi agree with this. But, you are no different from the rest of them, A trained monkey beating a pot with a wooden spoon. Horns are better than I thought they would be, but without Sam, only winning 2 more games. Aggy is playing better defense under Jimbo, but we shall see, a decent passing offense will expose that secondary. Long ways until recruiting season is over, both schools are fairing very well.

Last edited by Goodfellah; 10-17-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Goodfellah is online now   Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #273
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Backyard

There are a lot of knocks on Mond and I was surprised to see he was 25/37 for 350 yds . . Not as bad as I thought . . Just sloppy . .
Sharecropper is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #274
Aggiehunter11
Four Point

Hunt In: Lohn, Fowlerton, Austin Co.

I'd say one could argue that Mond is 2nd best qb in the SEC..
Aggiehunter11 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #275
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter11 View Post
I'd say one could argue that Mond is 2nd best qb in the SEC..
I saw a tweet this morning that ranked the SEC QB's and it has Mond as the 2nd ranked. Our favorite QB, Touchdown Tommy Wilson from UK was last.

I have no idea who the guy was that ranking them, but a retweet brought it into my feed.
Heath is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #276
JeffK
Ten Point

Yep I agree. I think Mond has played pretty darn good considering the amount of pass rush other teams have put on him. A lot of the ints were on the receivers.

9-3 would be a successful season in my books. 8-4 okay. Improve the red zone efficiency on offense and could possibly make it to at least 9-3. Otherwise, I see the remaining SEC games being close ones that could go either way.
JeffK is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #277
Aggiehunter11
Four Point

Hunt In: Lohn, Fowlerton, Austin Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I saw a tweet this morning that ranked the SEC QB's and it has Mond as the 2nd ranked. Our favorite QB, Touchdown Tommy Wilson from UK was last.

I have no idea who the guy was that ranking them, but a retweet brought it into my feed.

Wilson definitely has his struggles on 3rd down passing but I don't think I would put him that low on the list given what his scheme asks him to do.

They only ask him to throw less than 20 times per game on average so by design he isn't going to put up very gaudy numbers to bump up his ratings.

His yards per attempt is 6.22 - Completion is 9.37
Mond's YPA is 8.41 YPC is 13.63
Tua is at 14.3 per attempt! and a Ridiculous 20 yards per completion

For comparison

Ehlinger YPA - 7.41, YPC -11.27
Murray YPA -13.06, YPC 18.37
Aggiehunter11 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #278
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the big deer roam

Quote:
5-0. Errrgame by fiddy.
Chase This! is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #279
Heath
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter11 View Post
Wilson definitely has his struggles on 3rd down passing but I don't think I would put him that low on the list given what his scheme asks him to do.

They only ask him to throw less than 20 times per game on average so by design he isn't going to put up very gaudy numbers to bump up his ratings.

His yards per attempt is 6.22 - Completion is 9.37

Mond's YPA is 8.41 YPC is 13.63

Tua is at 14.3 per attempt! and a Ridiculous 20 yards per completion

For comparison

Ehlinger YPA - 7.41, YPC -11.27

Murray YPA -13.06, YPC 18.37

I’m going off watching him play and the thoughts of my buddy who is a UK grad.

Stats are great but are skewed by scheme / matchups.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #280
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

If both Texas and A&M go 3-2 they would both be great seasons and the recruiting battles will heat up.

What about Tech and TCU?

Texas can win em all. They have already proven they can win the tough, close games......even against a top 10 BLUE BLOOD.

In the discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 10-18-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #281
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

I'm officially not an Aggie but am married to one and the Dad of another, we attend many Aggie home games and thoroughly enjoy taking rv to tailgate (will be in poor folk lot c14 for ole miss, swing buy if in the area ) but because I openly pull for the Horns (even while tailgating in Aggie attire) my wife and daughter have deemed that I will never officially be considered an Aggie...

I think 4-1 is very realistic, 5-0 is not out of reach. There will not be a talent deficiency against any of the 5 including LSU. I've been thoroughly impressed with Elko's defense, just have to minimize big plays. That and how well the O can score will determine the last 5, they have moved the ball against everyone sporadically (including Bama) but have not been able to finish drives, that becomes a mental thing that I'm sure Jimbo has overcome in the past.

As an old coach and observer, I would think as long as they play with the tenacity they have and the recruiting continues to be strong, I would be very pleased with the direction of the program.
rvd is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #282
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

5-2 for the Aggies is where we HOPED to be at this point of the season. With Sumlin we would be 4-3 at best and be lucky finish at .500. Jimbo is making a huge difference in his first year and if he can keep his commits together, is putting together a top 5 class for next year.
Texas is no doubt improving but needs Ehlinger on the field as he is a much better motivator than the coach. I am not sure that OK can bet Texas in rematch if Texas can get everyone healthy. They did not seem to have an answer for the big, fast wide outs.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #283
rvd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
If both Texas and A&M go 3-2 they would both be great seasons and the recruiting battles will heat up.

What about Tech and TCU?

Texas can win em all. They have already proven they can win the tough, ckise games......even against a top 10 BLUE BLOOD.

In the discussion.

Agree.

IMO Horns an Ags are both showing this year that if you are a top recruit in the state of Texas, you can go to either of these schools and have a chance to develop, compete at a high level (Horns are somewhat hampered by the b12 imo) and be in the hunt for the playoffs. I have not felt that way about either of them in several years, I really hate it when our best talent leaves the state.

I really hope OU loses a couple, I do not want Horns to have to play them again, hard to beat a good team twice.
rvd is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #284
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

I also believe that MSU is the swing game between 4-1 and 3-2. The defense is going to have to step up big time, as they have been for the most part, and Jimbo is going to have to convince Mond to play like every play like he's down 3 with a minute left. The young man only seems to get hot when the pressure is on.

My hopes in the preseason were that this might be the year to pull off a W on Thanksgiving weekend, not looking so good as Coach O seems to have put things together pretty well over there in BR.
flatlander is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #285
Chad C
Pope & Young

Kentucky ran all over MSU. Y'all got this.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #286
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Game day boys!! Just went wheels up heading towards the SD Pheasant Opener. Ill be driving across the prairie when the game starts. Hopefully there is cell service. I think we can beat a Stanford team in Tempe. They are not playing great ball and we are at home.
thegrouse is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #287
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Nice. Two good Thursday games in a row.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #288
Birddog66
Ten Point

I think Aggie should be thrilled if they only drop one more, but still happy and content if they drop 2. LSU is gonna be a tough, but Auburn doesn't look that scary right now. MSU should be a good game, but I don't see Aggie losing to all 3. Just me 2 cents.

LH's ?? Sheesh, I don't even want to speculate right now. Should be favored here on out, but what does that mean at the end of a bad game day. IF they can continue to improve throughout the 2nd half of the season and manage to bring their A game, or if not their B+ game every Saturday, we CAN exceed all expectations. I'm not scared of playing OU again. Bring it!

Wouldn't be surprised if both teams drop a game their not suppose too.
Birddog66 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #289
thegrouse
Ten Point

Sirius XM just added a Big 12 network. I enjoy the Pac 12 channel and the ESPN U channel. Highly recommend it if you have considered Sirius in the past. Key is to call every 6 months and get their best price. Set the date on your calendar and call. Ends up being $11 a month and it works in your vehicle and with app on the phone.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #290
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Sirius XM just added a Big 12 network. I enjoy the Pac 12 channel and the ESPN U channel. Highly recommend it if you have considered Sirius in the past. Key is to call every 6 months and get their best price. Set the date on your calendar and call. Ends up being $11 a month and it works in your vehicle and with app on the phone.
I do as you say and I think I'm at $7.50/month right now.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #291
thegrouse
Ten Point

Nice!! I got some high speed package including the app. It was the best price they had at the time and I have had Sirius for less than 2 years. Great for CFB season.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #292
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Game day boys!! Just went wheels up heading towards the SD Pheasant Opener. Ill be driving across the prairie when the game starts. Hopefully there is cell service. I think we can beat a Stanford team in Tempe. They are not playing great ball and we are at home.
Have fun chasing them ring necks!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #293
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Sirius/XM.

I can't live without it since 08.

Metal and sports.

They have always broadcasted Big 12 games.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #294
Chad C
Pope & Young

Still have lots of work to do, but looking forward...

Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #295
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Still have lots of work to do, but looking forward...

9-7-19
We comin!
Bayouboy is offline   Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #296
Heath
Pope & Young

Open weekends for Texas for Bow Season and Gun Season. Nice.

This year we had 3 straight weekends of home games which made it alot to get to Austin back to back to back during dove season. The tough decision is to skip La Tech for the Dove Opener or be in Austin.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #297
Birddog66
Ten Point

Coach em up Tom!
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #298
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
9-7-19
We comin!

We’ll be happy to have ya! Should be fun! Since I'm now without a hunting retreat, I'm jumping back in the season ticket game for a family of four in 2019.

Last edited by Chad C; 10-18-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #299
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
9-7-19
We comin!
Bring shrimp gumbo and boudin!

Trade you some of my backyard brisket and ribs!

Last edited by Birddog66; 10-18-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #300
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Open weekends for Texas for Bow Season and Gun Season. Nice.

This year we had 3 straight weekends of home games which made it alot to get to Austin back to back to back during dove season. The tough decision is to skip La Tech for the Dove Opener or be in Austin.
TCU gets a bye the second week....facepalm! Add in a Thursday and a Friday game(although I like the Black Friday games) Puke!
Closed Thread