School me on OTC elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
    I would be completely happy just getting a cow. Of course a big bull would be great but for my first time there would be nothing wrong with a cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great way to think about it but I promise you that in an otc unit, seeing a cow would be a win. Killing one on your first hunt could happen but it rarely and I mean rarely ever does in Colorado. Most people I've hunted with or talked to put in 2-4 years learning a unit and the animals. They would dang near rather give you their first born than give you info on their spot. So saying a cow would be nice for your first time in an otc unit is about like saying I want Margot Robbie, but I guess I'll settle for Cameron Diaz. Not saying it won't happen, BUT ITS TOUGH.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      No offense, but if you want to be spoon fed public land hunting is probably not going to be a success for you.

Who said anything about being spoon fed?
      I just want to learn how to do it.
      For me success would be just going on the trip.

Last edited by Shurshot; 10-01-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Looks like I got a lot of homework and research to to.

How does everyone camp on public land? Are y’all setting up camp with a tent where y’all are hunting or traveling back and forth to a hotel?

Oh my sweet baby Jesus!! Camp, as far in and as far away from people as you can get. It's not a leisurely stroll in the woods, it's busting your butt super early and hiking back to camp way after dark. Driving to a hotel would be a waste of time for sure. Be as light and mobile as you can in my opinion. It's one of those things that beats you down physically to the point where when it's over you are ready to go home, but as soon as you get a couple of days of rest you can't wait to do it again. And again, and again. Please don't think you will be able to drive up to a trailhead from the hotel, jump out and be all alone, hike up the trail and shoot an elk. These things get pressured and are educated in the ways of flatlander.

Comment

Starting a thread with all your questions for people to answer is like a baby bird squawking in the nest with its mouth open waiting for mom to come by and feed it.
          Search and read... there's an OCEAN of information even just on this website waiting to be read.
          If you get a cow on your first trip you will have beat the odds. Look at success rates... many of them single digits, and set your expectations accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
            I dont mean to hi jack, but might help us both kinda question.

I have access to private land that backs up to public Gila National Forest. Can the NM land owner give me tags without me drawing? Or do I have to draw regardless?

He sends me pics of huge Elk in his yard. It's in NM unit 16 B.

I tried looking on line and it was confusing to me lol
            Yes if he is entered into the program. If he gets unit wide tags it opens his Land up to the general public hunting it though. Ranch only tags are just that

Comment

I'm interested in doing a elk hunt next year either in Colorado or New Mecico. I know nothing about public land hunting for elk. How do you get your info on hunting different units and locations? Where to you apply or buy tags, online?? how did you guys start doing these hunts? Did you tag along with someone for the first time? Any help and information is appreciated. Thanks

Both state web sites break down hunter success statistics and do a great job also laying out draw odds.

Although NM is draw only, there are units if you search well, you have good chance of drawing statistically. With that said make sure those units have accessible public land.

My advice is just go, don’t over think it. CO and NM by majority are pretty mild backcountry, not to many places you cant hike out of in a day.

Comment

I just want to learn how to do it.
                For me success would be just going on the trip.

Don't let those that can't get it done get you down.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                  Don't let those that can't get it done get you down.

Not trying to get him down or talk down to him, just don't want him to go in blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Both state web sites break down hunter success statistics and do a great job also laying out draw odds.

Although NM is draw only, there are units if you search well, you have good chance of drawing statistically. With that said make sure those units have accessible public land.

My advice is just go, don’t over think it. CO and NM by majority are pretty mild backcountry, not to many places you cant hike out of in a day.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                      Not trying to get him down or talk down to him, just don't want him to go in blind.
                      You have given very good advice. Reference statistics.
                      Last edited by ladrones; 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Feel free to PM me.

My advice, start an active lifestyle and include your family.

Second don’t be scare, just do it. There is no right or wrong way to hunt, only your way because it’s your experience.

Internet is full of great western hunting hacks, with that said remember we almost eliminated vast majority of Wildlife in the US with cap and ball ML and pull on boots. Not saying go hunt in cowboy boots but you get my drift.

Comment

Would be useful to go on a guided hunt first to get your feet wet, but not a dang thing wrong with DIY OTC to start. Thats how I started. I'd suggest Colorado because there are a ton of OTC tags and areas to hunt. IF you're going archery, the tags are either sex, so you dont have to limit yourself to a cow or bull.

A quick how to;

1. Find a general area to hunt (lots of units in Colorado). Colorado Big game booklet
                          Go to pg. 35 and you can see all the units that have OTC tags. You can throw a dart and pick one, or do some online research on units. Picking a unit west of I25 is better due to private land. Using Gohunt will also help you narrow down a unit.

2. Find spots using google earth within the unit. Plenty of info online about how to do this, but to sum it up, Look for cover, feed and water and a lack of roads. Randy Newberg has a good video on e-scouting.

3. Decide on basecamp or backcountry hunt. I'd start with a basecamp and spike camp if you get into elk. Basecamp can be as fancy or bare bones as you want. Camping in Colorado is not much different than camping anywhere else. A cot and cot pad with a good warm sleeping bag is a big plus as good sleep helps you hunt harder. Other than that, its just camping for a week.

4. Hike your *** off starting now. The better shape you are in the more ground you can cover. The more ground you can cover the better your chances of killing an elk. That's not to say you just need to hike all day to find elk, as you can and will blow them out. But if you hear or see elk far off, being in good shape will pay huge dividends.

5. Start watching youtube videos and listening to podcasts about hunting elk. Calling, scouting, techniques, etc is all much different than hunting in Texas.

6. Go hunt. Remember to enjoy the hunt whether or not you kill. Success rates hover around 10%, so dont go thinking the only way to have a good time is to kill. Its gorgeous country and chasing elk is like nothing else

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            You have given very good advice.

I know I don’t k ow anything, but I gotta start somewhere.

Comment

So has anyone on here done a hunt like this without going with someone who has been before?

Comment

So has anyone on here done a hunt like this without going with someone who has been before?

Yeah man I started going three years ago...went with me and another dude neither of us had been before...

Comment

Working...
                                X