No announcement yet.

A Few More East Texas Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not getting anything skewed from me. I'm giving you current info from our current biologist who currently heads the Texas turkey program...not old info from those who used to work on the project.

Don't know John Burk as well, but know Jason Isabel who is the now biologist in MO over their turkey program. He worked on this project for years as a grad student before moving to MO, and him along with Jason Hardin, and Scotty Parsons, who was our NWTF biologist at the time, used to come speak in detail on the subject at an educational event my chapter used to host at Bass Pro in Pear Land, TX back in 2010-11. Even back then there was an increase in the population around that particular release site in southeast Anderson county.

Also, not only do I have property in Anderson county and have recently heard them gobbling on our neighbors place in the extreme northeastern portion of the county, but am currently talking to a very large number of landowners all along the eastern portion of the county near the neches river while organizing another co-op. There is a large number of these people living there who are actually seeing more and more decent sized flocks of turkeys on a regular basis in area in the eastern portion of the county.

Also, in the southeastern portion of the county in areas near the that original release site you will see some pretty large winter flocks pretty similar to what you describe in Fannin. I've driven through Fannin often and I've never seen turkeys and I drive through hill country even more while going on turkey hunts and although I know there are lots of turkeys in those areas, I seldom see them while driving through until I get to the actual ranch to hunt...that is with the exception of this past spring when I saw a gobbler stop twice to watch for cars while crossing hw 90 between Brackettville and Uvalde.

That said, you can't gauge the number of turkeys or any animals in an area solely just by driving through often or what we think is the better habitat. Even though we've had some hiccups at first with getting them reestablished, turkeys are hardy birds. If an eastern can do well in areas that doesn't have contiguous forest cover like eastern/central south Dakota and some of the midwest states with lots of farm lands, they can definitely survive in some of the scattered forest and tree lined creeks surrounded by grassland or pastures in parts of central Anderson county. Well managed contiguous forested landscapes are just our starting point for birds to get a good start and expand into the other areas.

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
    Not really. I just don't like reading skewed info and people taking it at face value

Comment

Originally posted by GraceNmercy View Post
      You're not getting anything skewed from me. I'm giving you current info from our current biologist who currently heads the Texas turkey program...not old info from those who used to work on the project.

Don't know John Burk as well, but know Jason Isabel who is the now biologist in MO over their turkey program. He worked on this project for years as a grad student before moving to MO, and him along with Jason Hardin, and Scotty Parsons, who was our NWTF biologist at the time, used to come speak in detail on the subject at an educational event my chapter used to host at Bass Pro in Pear Land, TX back in 2010-11. Even back then there was an increase in the population around that particular release site in southeast Anderson county.

Also, not only do I have property in Anderson county and have recently heard them gobbling on our neighbors place in the extreme northeastern portion of the county, but am currently talking to a very large number of landowners all along the eastern portion of the county near the neches river while organizing another co-op. There is a large number of these people living there who are actually seeing more and more decent sized flocks of turkeys on a regular basis in area in the eastern portion of the county.

Also, in the southeastern portion of the county in areas near the that original release site you will see some pretty large winter flocks pretty similar to what you describe in Fannin. I've driven through Fannin often and I've never seen turkeys and I drive through hill country even more while going on turkey hunts and although I know there are lots of turkeys in those areas, I seldom see them while driving through until I get to the actual ranch to hunt...that is with the exception of this past spring when I saw a gobbler stop twice to watch for cars while crossing hw 90 between Brackettville and Uvalde.

That said, you can't gauge the number of turkeys or any animals in an area solely just by driving through often or what we think is the better habitat. Even though we've had some hiccups at first with getting them reestablished, turkeys are hardy birds. If an eastern can do well in areas that doesn't have contiguous forest cover like eastern/central south Dakota and some of the midwest states with lots of farm lands, they can definitely survive in some of the scattered forest and tree lined creeks surrounded by grassland or pastures in parts of central Anderson county. Well managed contiguous forested landscapes are just our starting point for birds to get a good start and expand into the other areas.
      OK good deal. Things must have really progressed down there that is great to hear. Good news on the turkey expansion front

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        OK good deal. Things must have really progressed down there that is great to hear. Good news on the turkey expansion front
        Hey.... a passionate discussion on Eastern Turkey!!!! Both you guys rock!

Comment

Hey ...I'm just a turkey junky...lol. A few of our biologist would probably tell you that I've been bugging the heck out of them for years trying to stay involved and up to date...lol. Turkeys are my favorite critter in the woods, and I'm like a sponge trying to learn and help out as much as I can to raise awareness. You rock yourself Sir...those funds raised through your hike will go a long way to helping with this project and I applaud you for it.

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          Hey.... a passionate discussion on Eastern Turkey!!!! Both you guys rock!

Comment

See...my last X-Ray shows that I have a serious problem. This is my brain about 95% of the time...lol
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. I would definitely like to hear more turkey sightings.
              I saw some last year at our place in Houston County in Weches a group of about 15 Hens and in Cherokee County at our place bordering the Davy Crockett National Forest was one big Tom.

Comment

I hunt in Polk county and told the guys at camp last year that I heard turkey when I was out hunting one day. The lease manager said they had not seen any in years and some guys said I was full of it. I talked to the lease manager today and the property owner said he saw several under a feeder near where I heard them last year.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
                  I hunt in Polk county and told the guys at camp last year that I heard turkey when I was out hunting one day. The lease manager said they had not seen any in years and some guys said I was full of it. I talked to the lease manager today and the property owner said he saw several under a feeder near where I heard them last year.
                  Good news!! Where about sin Polk County. My place is in Barnum and I am patiently waiting! There has been some in area in recent years.

Comment

Good news!! Where about sin Polk County. My place is in Barnum and I am patiently waiting! There has been some in area in recent years.
                    Seven oaks

Comment

Saw about 15 a few years ago in newton county.

Comment

Seven Oaks...very cool. Newton County... I want to say they are doing better the further east you go. I believe Newton County has some turkey.

Comment

We have a huntable number of eastern birds in northwest Polk County from US287 west of Corrigan south to FM 350 west of Moscow. These birds have been here at least since early ‘90’s and another stocking was done a few years ago. We have probably harvested 20-30 gobblers on our club since 1999 or so. Usually 1-3 per Spring season.

Our biggest issues are hog predation on nests and maintaining open corridors between various age timber stands that are either very young / open or mature hardwoods/ pine mixed stands that are open enough.

To address post just above:
                          It’s not legal nor advisable for individuals to privately attempt stocking per our TPWD biologists. Disease proliferation is one issue. Another issue is difficulty securing eastern birds that can survive here. Attempts to stick Rios, Merriams etc. have failed miserably in east Texas.
                          Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The Woodlands has some.
                            And 1488 near 45

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
                              We have a huntable number of eastern birds in northwest Polk County from US287 west of Corrigan south to FM 350 west of Moscow. These birds have been here at least since early ‘90’s and another stocking was done a few years ago. We have probably harvested 20-30 gobblers on our club since 1999 or so. Usually 1-3 per Spring season.

Our biggest issues are hog predation on nests and maintaining open corridors between various age timber stands that are either very young / open or mature hardwoods/ pine mixed stands that are open enough.

To address post just above:
                              It’s not legal nor advisable for individuals to privately attempt stocking per our TPWD biologists. Disease proliferation is one issue. Another issue is difficulty securing eastern birds that can survive here. Attempts to stick Rios, Merriams etc. have failed miserably in east Texas.
                              Paul... I know that area well . I personally have seen a flock of 25 on the south side of 287 right at the Trinity/Polk County line. without mentioning the club in which these birds reside on they have had turkey for many many many years and I sometimes wonder if these were stock birds if this was a group of birds from many many many years ago . In that immediate area there has never been stocking but then again it’s not that far from where you are talking about .

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                                The Woodlands has some.
                                And 1488 near 45
                                I want to say they did a super starting on the Mitchel Ranch somewhere is in Montgomery county several years ago ... but I don’t recall all the details . I’ve always thought that getting them a stab list and a bit more urban areas might help ... possibly less predators in that area. The reason why they haven’t done well in East Texas is nest Predation.... You name it and It will eat a turkey egg laying on the ground

Comment

Working...
                                X