New Guy Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy Questions

Howdy everyone, well I couldn't find a new guy introduction area so I figured I would do it here before I ask a few questions. My name is Matt, and I have just started shopping for my first bow. A couple of buddies have finally talked me into getting into bow-hunting and now I'm ate up with it already watching bow hunting you-tube videos in a lot of my free time. I hope to get a bow and start getting ready for this fall's hunting season. If you couldn't tell by my username I am also a big duck hunter and like turning Duck Calls when I have time. So since I am shopping for my first bow and there's more than a couple options out there I would like to ask y'all's help.

First, I am a south paw and I have already found once again the world hates us. I went to the local pro shop and was told I need a 28"DL. At this shop they have an old Mathews Creed XS that is still new and they never sold. The only problem is it is a 29" DL and they want me to pay an additional $60 to get the 28"module. They want $650 for bow only, $60 for new module, and said they can have me "fixed up" for ~$850+ tax.

I went to another shop up the road and they let me shoot the new Halon 32 and a Bowtech Knight I believe. They also told me that the Creed XS wasn't a horrible deal but the Creed XS was somewhat of a slower bow. Then they told me about the Mission brand and a Ballistic 2.0 that I could be set up new for about $750 + tax.

I usually buy quality when it comes to purchases like this (firearms, tools, etc...) and I would like for y'all to tell me what is my better option:

2014 Creed XS - $850ish
    2017 Ballistic 2.0 - $750ish
    2017 Halon 32 - $1300 all set up I think? (Is this really worth it for my first bow?)

Thanks Everyone

Welcome!

Subscribed....

Comment

I'll let the true bow experts chime in...there's plenty of them here.

But Welcome to the Fire sir!

Comment

Welcome to the fire

Comment

I have a Left handed Mathews No Cam 27.5 inch 60lbs I would let go of for $600

Comment

Welcome, it's addicting and not cheap so start loosening those purse strings!

I have no experience with any of the bows that you mentioned and there are far more knowledgeable people on the site to advise you. What I can tell you is to buy quality and buy from a pro shop, both of which you already seem to plan on doing. That being said, keep in mind that there are lots of other things you will need to be spending money on before the season. To name a few:

1. Blinds or tree stands
            2. Cold weather gear
            3. A safety harness and hunters safety system lifeline for each tree stand you plan to hunt from
            4. Range finder that compensates for shot angle (if you plan to hunt from an elevated position)
            5. Arrows, broadheads, tracer knocks

Welcome and good luck!

Comment

welcome
              great people on here

Comment

Welcome

And nobody can tell you what bow to get. Your best bet is to shoot them all and then pick the bow that feels the best to you, and speed isn't the biggest factor. Shot placement is key

Comment

Welcome!
                  Go to a pro shop,and shoot a bunch of em.You might be surprised what you settle on.I had a friend that was a diehard Mathews guy.He shot a bunch of different bows one day at a shop in Weatherford..Now it turns out he's a diehard Bowtech guy!lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will say that it may be your first bow, but in needs to be the Right bow. You should actually shoot a few of these bows and see how they feel to you. That should be a big factor for your purchase. I would say don't get real caught up in the "speed specs". Get something that feels good to shoot. If you are at a reputable bow shop then probably won't be sold a junk set up. Just my 2 cents.
                    Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Comment

My advice is to shoot several bows as already stated and then try to find a good used bow once you have found a general preference. Don't worry too much about speed, that's not what kills. A good broadhead, and a moderately heavy arrow ( over 400 gr. total weight ) out of a well tuned bow is much more important than speed. I'm betting you can find a good deal on a used lefty on Archery Talk in the next month. Those guys change bows regularly ! Just read the classifieds every day. Good luck !

Comment

Don't shoot based on dominant hand but rather dominant eye. I'm right handed but left eye dominant and made the mistake of buying a right hand bow. I shot a lefty and it was much better feel with my eyes. I now need to get a lefty bow but just no funds at moment. Find out your dominant eye. Google it if you don't know how. If you happen to be right eye dominant then try some right hand bows before you purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                          Welcome

And nobody can tell you what bow to get. Your best bet is to shoot them all and then pick the bow that feels the best to you, and speed isn't the biggest factor. Shot placement is key
                          This X2

Welcome to TBH

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                            Don't shoot based on dominant hand but rather dominant eye. I'm right handed but left eye dominant and made the mistake of buying a right hand bow. I shot a lefty and it was much better feel with my eyes. I now need to get a lefty bow but just no funds at moment. Find out your dominant eye. Google it if you don't know how. If you happen to be right eye dominant then try some right hand bows before you purchase.
                            Definitely left hand and left eye (Marine Corps shooting instructors tried very hard to have all rightys). Thanks for the input though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome and the Halon 32. No brainer based on the listed competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X