Smoker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Question

I have a gas smoker bought from Lowes that my wife and kids got me for Christmas. I have smoked about six briskets to date with some good and a few bad results. The question I have about this smoker is the wood box. It has a small wood box which burns all the wood chips up in about an hour. The box has a lid on it. Could I leave the lid off of the box and pile as much wood chips as possible in there, and be safe? If anyone has any experience with these, please advise. Thanks

Have you tried soaking the wood clips in water for a while before using them in the smoker?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
      Have you tried soaking the wood clips in water for a while before using them in the smoker?
      Yes I have, the one hour of smoke is before pre-soaking for 1 hour.

I'm going for it in the morning. I'm stuffing all the wood chips I can get in there. If ya'll see a big plume of smoke from up north, you will know it did not work.

Comment

if you stuff all you can in there and can't close the lid, you are just wasteing wood.

never worked with a gas smoker so I am not much help but if it ain't closed, you ain't smoking you are grilling.

Comment

If you're smoking briskets it may just be the fact of an extended time. You might just have to add a hand full of soaked wood chips every hour or so. When you smoke a brisket, do you ever wrap it in foil and put it back in there to keep cooking and get more tender? If so, using wood chips aren't necessary anymore. All you'll need is heat. Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like the same smoker I have. I never put the lid on. I soak the wood chips for a couple of hours the add as necessary during the smoking process. Work good for me.

Comment

It worked great. I did not stuff all the wood I could but I did remove the lid and was able to double the amount of wood that you can put in with the lid on the wood box. It smoked for about 3.5 to 4 hours. I even threw a few racks of baby backs on with the brisket. It was all very good.

Comment

Working...
              X