• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats...

Comment

Wow! Cool Stuff! Congrats!

Comment

I say you can't complain!!! LOL! I'm gonna start calling YOU Lucky 2, cause if he would have come in to me I'd be posting his LDP's.

I can't complain either, I'm happy with the wide nine I got....

Comment

Great shot on a beauty of a buck. Congrats!

I can't believe you switched from the Hammerhead to a Rage..... but I've done the same thing. I just haven't released an arrow with a Rage yet. Maybe next year.

Comment

Oh, I still have 3 in the quiver. LOL They've been a great broadhead for me. It's just hard to not send that Rage to do some damage with the entrance and exit wounds I get.

Comment

We put a steel tape on him in the field uder flashlight and he went just over 150. I imagine when I cable him he'll go 152ish. We were lucky to have him make it to this age with where he lived. We've had other deer that we thought were safe get shot. My original plan this year was to kill White Eyes, a really big, wide 8 with potential kickers and Lucky, who I passed last year at 8 yards. He was in the low to mid 50's last year. I thought they would both be safe, but both disappeared from view and cameras between Thanksgiving and Christmas. FYB was a good fill in. LOL Lucky 2 is now on RADAR.

Comment

Lucy 2's history.

I believe he was a buck that I saw one time two years ago. He ran does in the corridor that runs along the edge of my Road Feeders thick brush and the scattered mesquite. The frame is the same with long tines. I hunted that buck and set up a tree stand thinking I'd intercept him, but he never showed agan. Not on camera. Not eyes on.

Last year, he came in while Mailman was hunting Houdini. Matt was slobbering all over himself about this big 10 he saw. He didn't get video, but we did get him on TC. He had already broken a beam. We aged him at 4 1/2 and with the beam, we put him on the board. We don't shoot trophies that are broken up. A chipped or broken tine, maybe. Break a beam and you're safe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	L2 RF 07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	23861573

Name:	L2 at RF 07.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	23861574

He didn't stop with the breakage there. By the end of the season he was basicly a spik on one side and broken on the other. He did like protein, though.

Name:	L2 at protein.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	23861575

Name:	L2 at protein 2.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	23861576

Name:	L2 at protein 3.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	23861577

Name:	L2 broken.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	23861578

Name:	L2 full body.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	23861579

Name:	L2at protein.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	23861580

He spent his time between my protein feeder, my Road Feeder, my little brother's two feeders and Gold's Corner Post feeder. He lived in the core of our pasture, and we hoped he'd be safe.

Comment

Another awesome deer TD. Dang, I would hate to see those "slober-makers" you referred to. I am already drooling all over my keyboard over FYB. Congrats again and good luck in your hunt for Lucky 2 and your Junco buck. Can't wait to see the video.

Let me know when you head to Hempstead if you do. I might have to burn a day if I can and come spend the day with you and JT. I feel the need to drool a little more.

Comment

I had planned on killing White Eyes

Name:	WE IR.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	23861581

Name:	WE RF 3.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	23861582

And Lucky

Name:	rs.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	23861583

Name:	crop 5.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	23861584

with my two trophy tags this year. When they disappeared, my interest shifted. I hadn't posted pics of these bucks to try and keep the pressure off them. I thought they were in safe zones. Apparently not.

When Mailman and I had to leave Wednesday after his hunt, Lucky 2 was still kicking. I had planned on returning Friday morning after Thanksgiving, but with that size buck running around and running around in my country, I headed back up Thursday about 4 PM after dinner and my after my grandboys left for Tyler. Mailman had chauffered me home, so I was pretty rested. LOL.

The cows had really become a problem in my area. They had cost Mailman a chance at Lucky and their presence all over the scatter mesquite flat had kept movement at my feeder at a minimum. I spent most of my first couple mornings running them off with my paintball gun. Friday and Saturday had been fruitless. I really HATE cows. I knew if I were going to get this deer, I'd have to try something different.

As long as Matt and Tommy were hunting my feeder, I had refrained from feeding my tower blind. I didn't want to draw their deer off the feeder. Once Tommy got his hit list buck and Matt was finished, I decided to feed the tower and shift there. It was far enough from the semiopen flat of my feeder that I was behind the cows. I had confidence in the spot because early November, before coming home, I had positioned a camera across from my tower and corned it up. That day, I got this pic.

Name:	L2 at dry pond.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	23861585

I knew he knew where the corn was and that he would be there given time. After my Saturday "paint the cows" morning, I corned the tower. I was shifting areas.

Gold had a couple pics of him at her Corner Post and Dog had a pic of him Friday night. I knew it would be lucky for me if I got him. I really felt Gold would see him before I did.

Comment

Looks like your deer might be disappearing to death by fighting. That deer was broken up. Do yall have a lot of highway frontage for poaching? We just got a place down south and it has 2 miles of highway on one side and I am not a fan of that.

Comment

Great buck and write-up. Congrats

Comment

Saturday evening I was in my tower. I don't like hunting it as much in the evening because I don't like climbing out with any deer around. I have to wait until good dark and make coon squalls to run them off. If I have someone to drop me off, I'll have them walk in to get me and the deer will run from them, not me. I've had this tower up for 8 years and they've never busted me. It's my favorite place to hunt. No need to worry about the wind because they'll come from all directions. Saturday evening had a front rolling in and it was windy. I didn't see anything of note, but I was waiting form the following morning hunt. That's prime time in the tower.

Next morning was cold with a NW wind. That means the wind would be blowing down the dry pond to my feeder about 200 yards away. That's for you wind guys. It's not the best early morning spot. They usually hit the feeders and come through about sun up. I had a couple youngsters in early. First deer of interest that showed was Houdini. He gave me all kinds of shot opportunities. He had busted off a 4 and the beam below it. Looks like he'll make another year. I saw several more bucks that came and went with the morning. One big, sweeping beam 8 that I've watched for a couple years. Pencil horned, but his beams sweep out to about 19 to 20 inches and sweep out and forward and almost touch on the tips. If he ever gets any mass, he'll be a horse.

The deer came and went until about 8. I heard a commotion and looked to my right and a doe busted cover followed closely by Lucky 2. They busted through my corn and crashed away. He was in love. When he came out, I thought Tiffany and Lee would be behind him. He looked like an Iowa buck with those tall, white looking horns. He took my breath. I knew I was in the right place. I might have to hunt all day, every day, but I'd get him sooner or later.

At 9, the parade had continued. I had my camera set up on my right shooting hole. I can't move it around like in my ground blinds. I had only recorded what ate in that area of corn. Suddenly, all the deer looked back down the dry pond. I leaned forward and glassed the opening. There, on the left side, was Lucky 2 and his doe. They were standing there about 70 yards. Downwind for you play the wind guys. I wasn't worried. I smelled like an estrus doe from my buck bomb and corn from my hog bomb. earth spray added and layers of silver and Primos silver spray and I was confident he wouldn't wind me. All I prayed for was that mama was hungry after whatever they had been doing. She was.

The doe headed for my corn, with Lucky 2 in tow. They went directly to my left shooting hole. I have never shot a deer there. They like the right hole better and I usually just wait for them to move there. That's why my cam gets set up on that hole. They fed for about 10 minutes. The buck never really turned broadside. Quartering to as usual. I felt confidence they would go to the other hole and I'd shoot him there. This hole is 20 yards. That's as far as I shoot. My other hole has the corn 15 and under.

I raised my glasses to look at him and froze. I don't know if he got a glint off the glass or what, but he looked up at me and stared. I held my breath. Finally, he looked down, took two steps, turned slightly quartering away and started eating. Enough of this. I decided to kill him right there.

IF you look at the Nov 4 dry pond pic, you'll see that the deer is quartering away in front of my blind. That glob of netting is my tower.

It's narrower drawing my bow to shoot out that hole. I have to be careful to not lean forward and get my bow in the net or lean back and rustle the netting. MY 82nd makes that easy. I eased it back. This time with a 2 blade Rage. I settled in and released.

Comment

Unlike the other shot, I didn't get a pass through. The arrow looked like it didn't go in very far and first thing I thought was "I hope Chance LOve isn't right." The deer bolted and I heard crashing in the thick mesquite and then it was quiet. One buck never left the corn. I replayed the shot over and over in my mind and couldn't figure out what I saw. I've done this enough to know that what you think you see and what happened is usually different. that's why so many deer are lost with "perfect" shots. It's why I like to film my shots. The camera doesn't lie. After about 15 minutes and the deer piling back in, I eased to a stand in my tower and started glassing the thicket. I saw my arrow about 20 yards in the brush. The orange blazers and tigerstripe wraps glowed. I was hoping it was broken. If it was broken, that meant I got full penetration and lodged in the opposite shoulder.

I continued to glass. Looking through all the holes, but no buck. the crashing was definate. Did he go down or just make a lot of noise leaving. I saw a fox easing along like he was following a trail. I told him he could eat out the butt, but leave the cape alone. He finally disappeared. The shot was at 9:10. At about a quarter to 10, after the last deer left, I eased out of my blind.

I crossed the dry pond to see if there was any blood at the shot site, and then intended to go to camp and get my brother, gold and nephew and Cindy. When I got to the spot where he was standing, I knelt down and started glassing. I saw my arrow glowing. Looked broken. As I panned a little bit farther back, the first thing I saw was the giant gash in the deer's side. The bloody slit glowed in the brush. He was down. The crashing was him going down. I all but ran to him. He looked great. I laid hands on him and said my usual prayer of thanks.

It took us a while to get back to him. Gold had shot a wide, heavy 8 that morning and went to hers first. Here's a bunch of pics. Notice my lucky hat. I've killed 5 big bucks wearing that ugly thing. It didn't help Mailman though. LOL

Name:	L2 where he died.jpg
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	23861587

Name:	L2 close.jpg
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	23861588

Name:	Lucky 2 rage cut.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	23861589

Name:	L2 and me.jpg
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	23861590

Name:	L2 and me 2.jpg
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	23861591

Name:	L2 and me 3.jpg
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	23861592

Name:	L2 and me 4.jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	23861593

Comment

Last pics of Lucky 2. Again, if you don't like tailgate pics, close your eyes.

Name:	L2 in Ranger.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	23861594

Name:	L2 in Ranger 2.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	23861595

Name:	Lucky 2 LDP.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	23861596

Name:	Lucky 2 LDP 2.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	23861597

Name:	Lucky 2 LDP 3.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	23861598

Comment

Beautiful buck congrats. Got any pics of the heavy 8 I love them.

Comment

Working...
                                X