Smart, school me on ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart, school me on ribs

Okay Jason, post up how you prepare pork ribs. While I was buying pork butts on sale for $.99 a month or so back, they also had pork ribs at the same price. I figured this weekend would be a good time to cook 'em up. So post up your instructions. pretty please

Following. I've never been good at ribs.

Comment

3-2-1 method... Works well and 95% of people will love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
        This is pretty full proof. I will do 2-2-1 for St. Louis style.

Comment

Same here but I do a 2-2-1 method. They are wonderful every time.

Comment

I did 3-2-1 method last night on 2 racks of baby backs and they were awesome! Very easy.

Comment

Yep, but dont if they are baby backs thats too long. I did baby backs last weekend and tried 3-1-1 and I will never do them any other way.

Comment

Pork ribs are pretty easy. Beef ribs, now you will separate the men from the boys.

Comment

I'm not Jason

I'm not Jason ( I was gonna say I'm not Smart but that just didn't sound right! ), but I've cooked a rib or two! Here is my coveted award winning baby back rib recipe.

Come Back Baby-Back Ribs

Ingredients

2 to 3 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
                  Barbecue sauce of choice (I prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s)
                  Rib Rub (Recipe Below)

Rib Rub

2 cups of Brown Sugar
                  2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
                  2 Tbs. Onion Powder
                  1Tbs. Paprika
                  1 tsp. Powdered Thyme
                  1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
                  1/2 tsp. White Pepper
                  1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
                  1 Tbs. Kosher salt
                  1 tsp ground ginger

Directions

Mix the rib rub ingredients thoroughly, make sure to break down any clumps. Remove the thin membrane from the bone side of the ribs, rinse them and pat dry. Cover the ribs with the rub, front and back. I try to let them “marinate” in the refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours (overnight is great).

While you’re getting your fire going, put the ribs on the counter to allow them to lose the refrigerator chill. Prepare your fire for indirect heat (or smoking) at 225 to 250 degrees; I have used kettle grills and ceramic cookers with rib racks, and smokers. When your temperature is steady add your smoking wood (sometimes I soak it in water first, sometimes not). I prefer fruitwood for pork, usually apple. Put your ribs on and sit back and relax a while (about 3 hours). Keep an eye on the temp; I try to keep it at 225 degrees. Remember... low and slow!

Here is where there is a lot of debate in the BBQ world, but this is MY recipe so this is how I do it. Coat the ribs in barbecue sauce and wrap each rack individually in heavy-duty aluminum foil. At this point you can move them to an oven or put them back on the pit, at 225 degrees. Let them go another 2 hours.

Now remove them from the foil and check them for doneness. Visually the meat should appear to shrink and pull away from the bone, or an internal temp of 190 degrees. Finish them on the pit if needed (still at 225), shouldn’t need any more than an hour.
                  Last edited by Cazador; 06-29-2015, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Seems like everybody is consistent on the 3 hour smoke, but some variability in the 2nd and 3rd stage.

I guess Smart doesn't do ribs.

Comment

i'll post up my way later.

Comment

I'm pretty much the same way as most of these fellas above on the times....

I'll peel the membrane and trim off any excess fat...trim to St.Louis style ribs....then cover both sides in rub of your choice. You can use mustard or oil as a binder if you want.

I smoke at 250-275 for 2 hours (3 if pit is 225) and spritz at one hour and second hour.

I then double wrap pouring a half cup of apple juice in the bottom of the foil. If I want a sweet rib, I'll cover the top with liquid butter with a silicone brush and brown sugar as well as a light dusting of more rub. If a savory rib is the choice for the day, I add the squeeze butter and the light dusting of rub.

Put it back on the pit for another 2 hours....

If it is to be a dry rib, I open up the foil after the 2 hours above and let the bark set up for 45min -hour.

If it is a wet rib with BBQ sauce, I open to let it set up for 30 minutes, add BBQ sauce with a silicone brush and let that carmelize for another 30. For the BBQ sauce, I usually take some of the au jous from the foil and mix with Head Country or SBR Sweet and Spicy to cut it then glaze with a silicone brush.

I'll usually let them rest in the foil closed back up for 30 minutes while I prep the other food.... although resting for a thin cut of meat like ribs is not as important as a brisket or PB.

Flip over the rack so you can see the bone and cut accordingly. Cutting from the top is a guessing game..

This is what I do. It's probably a little OCD for some, but it works for me. There are a million ways to do it..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	24388462

Name:	AA ribs.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	24388458

Name:	AAARibs.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24388459

Name:	Big Smoker ribs 0.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	24388460

Name:	Big Smoker ribs 0a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	24388461

Comment

3-2-1 is where its at. I had some apple juice or beer in when I wrap them in foil. Don't always make the whole last hour, wife gets hungry and the feast begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I'm pretty much the same way as most of these fellas above on the times....

I'll peel the membrane and trim off any excess fat...trim to St.Louis style ribs....then cover both sides in rub of your choice. You can use mustard or oil as a binder if you want.

I smoke at 250-275 for 2 hours (3 if pit is 225) and spritz at one hour and second hour.

I then double wrap pouring a half cup of apple juice in the bottom of the foil. If I want a sweet rib, I'll cover the top with liquid butter with a silicone brush and brown sugar as well as a light dusting of more rub. If a savory rib is the choice for the day, I add the squeeze butter and the light dusting of rub.

Put it back on the pit for another 2 hours....

If it is to be a dry rib, I open up the foil after the 2 hours above and let the bark set up for 45min -hour.

If it is a wet rib with BBQ sauce, I open to let it set up for 30 minutes, add BBQ sauce with a silicone brush and let that carmelize for another 30. For the BBQ sauce, I usually take some of the au jous from the foil and mix with Head Country or SBR Sweet and Spicy to cut it then glaze with a silicone brush.

I'll usually let them rest in the foil closed back up for 30 minutes while I prep the other food.... although resting for a thin cut of meat like ribs is not as important as a brisket or PB.

Flip over the rack so you can see the bone and cut accordingly. Cutting from the top is a guessing game..

This is what I do. It's probably a little OCD for some, but it works for me. There are a million ways to do it..

[ATTACH]723539[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723535[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]723538[/ATTACH]

Long live the KING!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed post Smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X