Best egg producers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best egg producers

Going to get some laying hens this prong and seeing what are the best breeds for egg production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For highest production there are isa browns and production reds. They are however, hybreds and will not breed true. About the best heritage breed is the rhode island reds.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      For highest production there are isa browns and production reds. They are however, hybreds and will not breed true. About the best heritage breed is the rhode island reds.

Yep

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

No doubt Rhode Island Reds are supposed to be the best. My wife has had great luck this go round with White Leghorns.

Comment

White leghorns are good layers too. White eggs.

Comment

Rhode Island Reds, the best imo.

Comment

Hybrids, Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns are probably the top egg producers. I also have Australorps and they are good too!

Comment

I got some production 529 I think . They are great layers

Comment

Went over to help take care of over a hundred of the neighbors hens at times. The Rhode Island reds were always productive. I think if you have space and the will you could get a few different breeds of hens.

Comment

Rhode Island reds and White leghorns are our best.

Comment

Rhode Island reds. I like Amerucana cause of the different egg colors though. If you have younger kids I'd throw one in there. Pretty neat to see green and blue eggs.

Comment

We like the green eggs from Amerecuanas. Reds do good...theyre a bit pecky and dominant. White leghorns are easily identified and picked off by hawks...they die before weve had success. Brahamas....dark, white, etc do good. Barred Rocks have done good too. Im going to kill my 60 dome odd adult birds and have 26ish Ameruacana chicks for eggs and 26ish Buff Orphingtons chicks (2 cocks) for producing meat birds. We incubate mostly but sometimes buy fresh blood...like now.

Run a cock if you can....IMO. The ladies like to be mounted and have a male around. Two cocks will be fine...anymore is a no go. Fertilized eggs taste just the same as not.

Comment

I've had the best luck with black sexlinks.

Comment

bovan brown and saggitta look. up bald hill poultry on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X