No announcement yet.

1/2 known & 1/2 unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep this in mind when using your rangefinder.

Targets 1-15 are unknown distances
    Targets 16-30 are known distances

Often you will start shooting at some target other than #1 to stagger all the shooters. Let say you start at target #20 and shoot through to target #30. It is really easy to forget to put your rangefinder away when you go from target #30 to #1. I think last year there were a couple of people DQ'd for this very thing. I carried my rangefinder last year to some of the shoots, but for the most part I just left it in the truck. I did not have any issues using the range sheets for the known distance targets.

Comment

We have range officials (me most of the time) watching shooters on the unknown targets. I have not had to DQ anyone for using a range finder on the unknown....yet. We will DQ anyone that is seen using a range finder on the unknown distance targets. When you are not on the known distance targets keep your range finder out of sight.

We DQ shooters on speed every year so check your speeds and check them on the chrono at the shoot when you get to the range. BTW the host club normally sets targets 1-15 unknown and 16-30 known but its is up to the host club on which 15 are unkown and which 15 are known. We will of course announce which targets are known and which are unknown and give each group a yardage sheet with the known distance targets listed at sign in.

The known distance element has been very well recieved. It can jump up and bite you. Make sure you don't get complacent and forget to set your sights or use the wrong pin. It happens a LOT at every shoot. And...even if you know the distance you still gotta make the shot.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at Clifton.

Comment

Don't let the known distance fool ya. I actually shoot worse on knowns. I haven't really figured it out yet, but I think it is lack of concentration. When the distance is given, I don't think I concentrate hard enough on the shot.

Comment

When it is unknown you judge the distance, set your sight, hold on a spot and shoot. You hope that you hit the spot your holding on. If you hit where your aiming it was a good shot. Sometimes you may miss the yardage by 2 or 3 and still hit the 12. When it is known you follow the same routine except you now expect to hit the spot. There are now no excuses, you have the yardage. Known distance brings out the minor flaws in peoples shooting and there are no more lucky 12's. Focus, for me is the biggest difference in the two. Aim small, hit small. When practicing shoot at a spot that is smaller than the 12 so at the shoot the 12 looks big.

Comment

unknown

Comment

Working...
            X