Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pond Structure Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any thoughts on aeration ?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      How big of a pond are you working with. Im hoping mine will be 2 acres plus I hope.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      15 acres.... And 40ft deep at its deepest part. How deep is yours?
      Last edited by BrandonA; 03-20-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

In smaller ponds aeration makes a lot of since especially in the summer when oxygen gets low. Any thing to help circulate the water.

All of those pvc structures look great. It's been my experience that fish prefer wood over pvc but wood does have its disadvantages and will break down over time.
        Last edited by BrandonA; 03-20-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
          Ive got 4-5 good sized piles in the area that still has water. Thought about drilling a couple post holes and concreting in 6-8 pvc pipes of varying length come up and out of them.
          Jeff do y'all have some pretty big rocks nearby? With y'alls skid steer I would be creating rock piles, brush piles etc.... Like a new kid in a candy store. I prefer to use natural vs pvc although I have used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Best fish structure post ever! There’s so many ways to make your own.

Comment

I'm no expert, but have done several lakes. It's hard to beat 15 to 20 foot mesquite trees. Cut them at the base and drag them into lake with a truck and a long rope. I typically add 5 or so per year. They are typically good for around 5 years. As long as they are alive when you cut them, they will stay on the bottom and not float up.

Issue that I have seen with artificial structure, is that it typically comes apart over time and you have rubber tubes floating in your lake. If a limb breaks off and floats up, not that big of a deal. I just can't stand seeing trash on a property. I am sure many people make artificial structure that does not come apart over time. Plus, if you add up the cost and time to make artifical structure, mesquite trees are typcially easier and cheaper to get.

Comment

Im going to go the opposite direction. I used to fish about a 10 acre very clean/clear lake. The owners kept it clean for water skiing. There were two pine trees that had fallen into the water next to each other. I could anchor up on those trees and load the boat with bass, crappie and catfish. Sometimes less is more.

Comment

go to www.pondboss.com

all the pond and fish info you will ever need

Comment

We put one of these up about two months ago and it will pump pretty well. Just make sure that you use the right hose.. lol My dad tried to go the cheap route and it didnt work

Comment

We put one of these up about two months ago and it will pump pretty well. Just make sure that you use the right hose.. lol My dad tried to go the cheap route and it didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                        Im going to go the opposite direction. I used to fish about a 10 acre very clean/clear lake. The owners kept it clean for water skiing. There were two pine trees that had fallen into the water next to each other. I could anchor up on those trees and load the boat with bass, crappie and catfish. Sometimes less is more.
                        I see your point but for the overall health of fishery cover is essential for baitfish survival. Without ample baitfish you won't have a healthy fishery. And for me I love fishing different types of cover. For me it raises the excitement level.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                          I'm no expert, but have done several lakes. It's hard to beat 15 to 20 foot mesquite trees. Cut them at the base and drag them into lake with a truck and a long rope. I typically add 5 or so per year. They are typically good for around 5 years. As long as they are alive when you cut them, they will stay on the bottom and not float up.

Issue that I have seen with artificial structure, is that it typically comes apart over time and you have rubber tubes floating in your lake. If a limb breaks off and floats up, not that big of a deal. I just can't stand seeing trash on a property. I am sure many people make artificial structure that does not come apart over time. Plus, if you add up the cost and time to make artifical structure, mesquite trees are typcially easier and cheaper to get.

Anyone have any idea if cedar trees would be okay to dump into a lake as a structure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Go buy a bunch of those black plastic potting containers from a nursery and string them together randomly through the holes with rope or zip ties in a giant cluster and sink. Cheap, easy, and permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                              Anyone have any idea if cedar trees would be okay to dump into a lake as a structure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Absolutely they work fine. I just hate dealing with cedar. But they work great especially for baitfish and game fish fry because they are so thick and bushy

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                15 acres.... And 40ft deep at its deepest part. How deep is yours?
                                I dont know yet. I am saving up for it now. Hopefully start digging in a year or two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X