Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef

Was wondering if anyone has put a heifer in the freezer instead of a steer? I am figuring they use a steer because you can put more weight on one quicker than you can a heifer?

Steer can't make you another bovine, but a heifer can for a small bull fee at the cheap route. So steers are also heavier and more tender than their uncasterated counterpart. I haven't ever heard of someone butchering a heifer they just breed it then cut the bull calf and eat him instead.

Comment

Feeding one out now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tens of thousands of heifers being fed all across the country right now. They’ll have the same adg as steers under a good feeding program.

Comment

They also spay heifers to help with ADG.

Comment

We've butchered several heifers in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
              We've butchered several heifers in the past.
              Have you ever noticed a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by 94sktr View Post
                Have you ever noticed a difference?
                Not at all, but we usually slaughtered at a low weight like 400-600#.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                  Not at all, but we usually slaughtered at a low weight like 400-600#.
                  ok cool. thats about what im looking at around 500 or so. do you pen it up and feed beef builder the last few months?

Comment

Originally posted by 94sktr View Post
                    ok cool. thats about what im looking at around 500 or so. do you pen it up and feed beef builder the last few months?
                    We never did, but decided to try it on a few and the costs were not worth it in my opinion. Our cattle were strictly grass fed and I actually preferred taking them straight from the pasture.

Comment

thanks

Comment

We feed heifers out all the time (or sell them to be fed out) no different as far as we've ever noticed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

We did it all the time. Butchered ~600#.
                          Couldn’t tell the difference in steaks. Can’t tell difference between red or black (Hereford or angus) when fed same.

Comment

The feed lots feed both steers and heifers. Heifers typically sell at a small discount as compared to their male counterparts. They'll taste the same. Grass fed beef will have a different flavor compared to grain fed beef. The marbling (fat) is where the good taste comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by GIL HUNTS View Post
                              The feed lots feed both steers and heifers. Heifers typically sell at a small discount as compared to their male counterparts. They'll taste the same. Grass fed beef will have a different flavor compared to grain fed beef. The marbling (fat) is where the good taste comes from.
                              What would be your suggestion? Grass or pen it up and feed? If feed what would you use? Will the marbling come from being grain fed? Havent ever put one in the freezer so looking for input. Thanks for all the responces. Good info on here from good people.

Comment

Working...
                              X