Homebuilders, question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homebuilders, question....

As far as "minimum square footage required" goes for a neighborhood, say the minimum is 2400sqft, we are looking to stay around that number and we want a "gameroom/tv room."

I know there are tons of variables, but in general would it be cheaper to expand the footprint of the house and keep it all 1-story or put the extra room upstairs and keep the footprint around 2200sqft or so?

building up is always cheaper. Some people try and claim it's not but it is.

Comment

Depends

Comment

Originally posted by dhall View Post
        Depends
        Haha I knew that was coming

Comment

Call your local builder see what he has to say.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall View Post
            Call your local builder see what he has to say.
            But I like talking to you guys

Comment

Sometimes you gain some view building up that's worth it.

Comment

I asked a designer this the other day. He said it was cheaper to build out instead of up. I wish I was more help...I don't have any exact numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                  Sometimes you gain some view building up that's worth it.
                  This is what we are looking for, the lot is on a hill and would give a great view of a creek bottom from an upper window.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    I asked a designer this the other day. He said it was cheaper to build out instead of up. I wish I was more help...I don't have any exact numbers
                    Are you still hunting that spot we talked about a few years ago?

Comment

If it is a game room.....cheaper to put it up than down for sure. Slab and roof is already there.

Comment

Be sure to toss a mini bar/sink/half bath upstairs. At the very least a half bath.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          If it is a game room.....cheaper to put it up than down for sure. Slab and roof is already there.
                          My thoughts as well, would a .5 bath up there tip the scale?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            My thoughts as well, would a .5 bath up there tip the scale?
                            Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                              Be sure to toss a mini bar/sink/half bath upstairs. At the very least a half bath.
                              and since I'm rich (not at all) I'm thinking about some sort of small patio too!

Comment

Working...
                              X