leveling 2015 Chevy 2500HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leveling 2015 Chevy 2500HD

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 that I would like leveled. I got a quote for $400 installed with front-end alignment. I have heard you can adjust the torsion bars and accomplish the same thing and then go get it aligned.

How true is that last statement?

I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the truck..will that be affected?

I pull a 34' 5th wheel a few times a month to camp...will it screw with the hauling ability?

Any other pros or cons to doing this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by brandon123; 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM.

Adjusting just the torsion bars and keeping the shocks the same makes the truck ride like a tank. It'll be rough. At least get the leveling kit and shock extenders. Cognito is the best way to go in my opinion but more $$ up front.

Comment

Level it right! Use a kit that drops the differential and extends the Shock mounts..... Turning Torsion bars will do more damage that $400.... Ask me how I know.... 2011 GMC 2500HD I bought used drove (GHETTO LEVELED) from 28000 miles to 76000 miles. 1800.00 dollars later it drives like it should.

LWR2

Comment

Thats not a bad price if it includes a front end alignment. I had mine installed at Planet Pickup in SA and paid $375 I think and that was install, alignment, and mount/balance for new tires. The truck does right a little stiffer than stock but still a very good daily driver. I have a '15 GMC 2500.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
          Adjusting just the torsion bars and keeping the shocks the same makes the truck ride like a tank. It'll be rough. At least get the leveling kit and shock extenders. Cognito is the best way to go in my opinion but more $$ up front.
          Yep. Better wear a mouthpiece. It'll beat the teeth outta your head!

Comment

Originally posted by LWR2 View Post
            Level it right! Use a kit that drops the differential and extends the Shock mounts..... Turning Torsion bars will do more damage that $400.... Ask me how I know.... 2011 GMC 2500HD I bought used drove (GHETTO LEVELED) from 28000 miles to 76000 miles. 1800.00 dollars later it drives like it should.

LWR2
            You don't need to drop the diff for just a leveling kit.

I've been through this with 3 different trucks, about to be 4.

Get the cognito kit WITH the replacement upper A-arms, they will correct the ball joint geometry when you adjust the torsion bars. They will also change the bump stop clearance. The bump stops are what makes them ride so rough if you JUST adjust the torsion keys. New torsion keys are not usually necessary. I would also opt for the longer shocks, rather than shock extenders, I've just had better luck that way.

I achieved 2.5"-3" lift on my last 2 trucks AND kept factory ride quality by using the Cognito kit WITH the upper control arms, AND the longer shocks.

I'll be doing my new truck before too long.
            Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I also forgot to mention I plan to keep the same tires (good tread left) for quite a while. Here is how it sits now:

Keep the advice coming!

Comment

Tagged for down the road, jut got a 16 2500HD that will be getting a level and some new wheels and tires when the time comes

Comment

I leveled my '16 Sierra2500 4wd. Used the kit paid around the same $400. Mine did ride a little stiffer in the front and lost about 1.5 mpg

Comment

Anyone got any before/after pics?

Comment

Don’t do the torision keys, it will ride like a tank.

Comment

I plan to use shocks like Bilstein adjustables (or more expensive options) to level the front of mine. I have a 2014 LT Z71 and it has been riding worse lately so I want to replace the shocks anyway. My wife even commented how nice it rode when we first bought it with 8k miles compared to now. From what I read on GM forums the OEM spec Rancho's on these can wear out pretty fast. My truck only has 31k miles but it did spend 2.75 winters in PA (moved it to Texas 1/31) so the shock bodies are very rusty anyway. So I am killing 3 birds with one stone; a little more level, a little smoother ride, no ugly rusted out purple shocks (for some reason the uppers on mine has always looked purple not red).

Comment

I have a 14 2500HD Sierra and I used the rough Country torsion keys. Works great, I installed it by myself in about 45 minutes. Caveat is that you need the tool to loosen the torsion bar and release the key. i have a buddy that has the tool and it didn't cost me a dime.

Mine rides rough but it s a truck and I don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                            Don’t do the torision keys, it will ride like a tank.
                            Using aftermarket keys is no different than cranking the stock ones. There's no way around it. Ranchos suck. Do the bilsteins and the uca's

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                              Using aftermarket keys is no different than cranking the stock ones. There's no way around it. Ranchos suck. Do the bilsteins and the uca's

On some trucks the factory keys just won't crank up past "stock"as much as others, because they come see differently from truck to truck. The aftermarket keys are indexed differently to provide a little more for those trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X