Help me choose Reloading Rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCBS Rockchucker

I am 62. I still use the RCBS equipment I bought while in High School in 1972. I lived on property that had a 600 yd range beside my home and shot 100 - 200 custom rifle rounds a week. Never saw the need for high volume loaders. If I was shooting IPSC or other high volume pistol courses then a high volume loader would be great.

Welcome to the Reloading World. Now you can chase a smaller group like the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
      I am 62. I still use the RCBS equipment I bought while in High School in 1972. I lived on property that had a 600 yd range beside my home and shot 100 - 200 custom rifle rounds a week. Never saw the need for high volume loaders. If I was shooting IPSC or other high volume pistol courses then a high volume loader would be great.

Welcome to the Reloading World. Now you can chase a smaller group like the rest of us!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Coax or wilson hand dies.
        You can do precision with a Dillion 550 if you learn how.
        Thousands of rounds for the World Cup Palma match was loaded on a 550

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post
          Total budget is around $800

But that would be everything

I don't bulk shoot
          But enjoy precision shooting rifles AR's included

I won't be doing progressive reloading and I do not shoot often enough to justify that

The Forster Co-ax would be a great press for you. I found a great deal on a brand new one in the bargain cave at Cabela's. Also bought two of them on eBay. Redding makes some of the best dies. Stay away from Hornady dies. RCBS are decent.

I like electronic scales but do keep a balance beam on hand for back up. The RCBS charge master works great after a few modifications.

Wilson makes a really good case trimmer.

One of the best tools to buy is a concentricity gauge. You won't be able to judge how good your ammo is without one. RCBS makes a decent one.

Hornady One Shot works well for lubricating cases. Read the directions and follow them.

Lots of companies make decent brass tumblers. I use both vibratory and stainless pin ones. Frankfort Arsenal makes a good stainless pin kit.

Buy a funnel, several loading manuals, and a couple of loading blocks.

I use hand primers to prime all my rifle brass. The old Lee ones work great but they are no longer in production. They can still be found sometimes on Ebay, etc. The new version is worthless. The Hornady hand primer works good.

That should get you started.

Comment

I'd put the Redding Big Boss press in line with the Forster as far as quality goes. It is an "O" frame press, extremely heavy and rigid. It lines up perfectly.

I am buying Redding Premium series dies, they are a lot for the money.

I get less runout with them than the comparable RCBS and Hornady dies. I've never owned any other Forster or Wilson dies for comparison. I routinely get less than .003" runout in my ammo.

I have a Dillon now as well, and love it. It is a productive machine and makes quality ammo, but not match quality ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
              I'd put the Redding Big Boss press in line with the Forster as far as quality goes. It is an "O" frame press, extremely heavy and rigid. It lines up perfectly.

I am buying Redding Premium series dies, they are a lot for the money.

I get less runout with them than the comparable RCBS and Hornady dies. I've never owned any other Forster or Wilson dies for comparison. I routinely get less than .003" runout in my ammo.

I have a Dillon now as well, and love it. It is a productive machine and makes quality ammo, but not match quality ammo.

Thanks to all who responded

Super info

There are some decent kit packages out there and I admit I am a beginner

I'm leaning towards the Forster coax with Wilson dies

I like .308 and this is in my price range

Some tempting rock chucker kits out there

The T-7 is a no
              The Dillon is a no

I need to load a box or two of 6.8 spc

But a single stage press appears the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Skyjunky View Post
                Single stage RCBS Rock chucker
                X3

Comment

I love my T7. I can't speak to others but mine has ZERO alignment issues and I know a LOT of very accomplished LR and ELR shooters that use the T7. The Forster is a great press also. The Dillon is not nearly as good if you're wanting to produce precision loads. $800 is a very small budget to get started. If that's what you've got, though, I'd blow the bulk of it on a good press and some Redding Type S dies. The rest of the stuff you can upgrade later.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                    $800 is a very small budget to get started.

I disagree. I can load good quality ammo with Lee hand dies and a mallet for $50 or so. $800 if more than enough to get started. There is a lot of good used equipment at good prices out there. Expensive equipment doesn't necessarily make for better loads.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      I disagree. I can load good quality ammo with Lee hand dies and a mallet for $50 or so. $800 if more than enough to get started. There is a lot of good used equipment at good prices out there. Expensive equipment doesn't necessarily make for better loads.
                      Funny that I just uncovered the rest of my old Lee Loader hand set the other day. Caliber 30-06. Loaded many a round with that thing back in the late 60's early 70's. I still use the primer seating tool on occasion to check primer seating on some stuff that comes off my Auto Progressive.
                      I have seen bench shooters use these at the range with a balance beam for powder measure.

Comment

Forster Press - $275
                        Whidden dies - $150
                        RCBS Chargemaster - $275
                        Redding case trimmer until you get a Giraud.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          Funny that I just uncovered the rest of my old Lee Loader hand set the other day. Caliber 30-06. Loaded many a round with that thing back in the late 60's early 70's. I still use the primer seating tool on occasion to check primer seating on some stuff that comes off my Auto Progressive.
                          I have seen bench shooters use these at the range with a balance beam for powder measure.
                          I have 15 sets. Most purchased for $5 or less. They have their limitations but make excellent ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            The Forster Co-ax would be a great press for you. I found a great deal on a brand new one in the bargain cave at Cabela's. Also bought two of them on eBay. Redding makes some of the best dies. Stay away from Hornady dies. RCBS are decent.

I like electronic scales but do keep a balance beam on hand for back up. The RCBS charge master works great after a few modifications.

Wilson makes a really good case trimmer.

One of the best tools to buy is a concentricity gauge. You won't be able to judge how good your ammo is without one. RCBS makes a decent one.

Hornady One Shot works well for lubricating cases. Read the directions and follow them.

Lots of companies make decent brass tumblers. I use both vibratory and stainless pin ones. Frankfort Arsenal makes a good stainless pin kit.

Buy a funnel, several loading manuals, and a couple of loading blocks.

I use hand primers to prime all my rifle brass. The old Lee ones work great but they are no longer in production. They can still be found sometimes on Ebay, etc. The new version is worthless. The Hornady hand primer works good.

That should get you started.

I agree with everything stated here.

I also want to add that Forster dies are very good too. Most of my dies are Redding Competition series but I do have a few sets of Forster dies as well.

I wouldn't choose ANY other single stage press over my Forster Co-Ax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also don't forget about the search feature on here. Lot's of really good threads from a few years back about getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                I agree with everything stated here.

I also want to add that Forster dies are very good too. Most of my dies are Redding Competition series but I do have a few sets of Forster dies as well.

I wouldn't choose ANY other single stage press over my Forster Co-Ax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                ^^^^ X2 What Mike D said

Comment

Working...
                                X