Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
Ungawa
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County
Default No AC?

Just curious is there anyone on here that has no AC in the house they currently live in?

I just read a tread about someone asking what everyone sets their AC temp at and it got me to thinking about growing up with no AC. I'm pushing 50 now, when I was a kid and lived in town we had one window unit and it broke when I was about 7 years old and my Dad never had it fixed. We moved to the farm when I was 10 and never had any AC there. At school I never had AC until 9th grade.
Now, living in AC at the house and working in AC most of the day, I think I would probable die without it.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I have known a few older guys ( Im 42 ) that grew up with no a/c but dont know how they did it. ( I guess you just deal with it ). I would move. Its just too hot and humid here. I have been here my entire life and still just cant handle the heat. Its pathetic I know, but I run hot. "Winter" here is awesome, 30-40 degrees feels great to me. Anything above 85 or so is misery. For years I have been seriously thinking about rolling north around May thru Sept when I retire.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Even growing up in Dallas, we had no a/c except for one window unit in my parents room. It was closed off to the rest of the house. Schools would just open the windows and hope for a breeze. I didn't live with a/c until I was 14 and moved to Plano.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Jakesfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young, San Saba, Cass counties

I did 25 years as a body tech, I now could NOT do w/o a/c.... I keep mine set @ 71, I will pay the bill, but I will not sweat in my home.... I went to the lease this weekend and @ 102, my trailer was on BLAST to keep it desireable after being in the heat working.. Growing up, I remember no a/c, but we had a swamp cooler till I was about 12 years old... and got 2 window units....
Jakesfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Bigguy49
Four Point

Growing up in Dallas in the 50'sthe closest to ac we had was a swamp cooler .then we moved into a house with a attic fan that pulled air in from all directions , at night you closed windows in the house except the bedrooms and the draft pulled air through the room hopefully the night air was cooler than inside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Bigguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

It was probably easier back then before we had all this global warming.

On a serious. I've heard numerous stories of how people grew up without a/c, there is no way I could do it here in Texas.
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
Ungawa
Eight Point

I grew up in the 70's and 80', I remember being at school sweating so bad in class I would be dripping sweat on my papers when writing, it was miserable! I always said I could have been a rocket scientist if we would have had AC in our schools.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

Hail to the NO! Way more things to do without than AC.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

That's why older houses have larger overhanging eaves, bigger windows and positioned to take advantage of what breeze there was. The large porch on older homes served a purpose. It provided shade to the " living " portion of the house. Many older homes had a sleeping porch . The older dog trot homes were designed to keep the kitchen area separate from the sleeping area and also let a breeze blow through. Todays homes are designed to keep air out not let it in.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
Poppy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown,Clay&Eastland Co.

I remember swamp coolers was all we had at first
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
db@100
Eight Point

Didn't have a/c at home until I was a teenager and didn't have a/c in school until I was in high school.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Some folks can't even go camping with out AC.
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Grew up with an attic fan in the house. That was air conditioning to me. I didn't know any better at the time. I think AC has made people soft. Back in the day folks would work all day and come home to a house with windows open to "cool off". Like others have said, most of us nowadays couldn't live without it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I grew up without it as well. I work out in the heat all day and while it's not comfortable you can actually live without AC. Sometimes I drive home with the AC off in my vehicle with the windows down.

Ac in the house is set at 75 and is plenty cool compared to the Texas heat outside.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
stingerslinger
Four Point

No a/c until I bought my first house in 1971.
stingerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #16
TX_Phil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Yep, I know I'm not as tough as I used to be. I grew up in Victoria and as a kid I remember when we had central AC installed in our house, the whole neighborhood was over checking it out. I never saw a classroom with AC until I went off to college. Shoot, my first truck didn't have AC either. I've sure gotten soft in my old age, anything over 80 is down right hot now.
TX_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post

I'm one of them......that's why my "tent" is 38ft long with 3 A/C's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
kaizen
Eight Point

I went to Bass Pro yesterday and it was hot! A buddy and I was talking about surviving with no A/C. I grew up outside of Round Rock without A/C, not even a window unit. I didn't have A/C until I got my own place in 1994. We would open all the windows and doors and put box fans in the bed room windows. None of our cars had A/C either. The first cool mornings in September would feel like an artic blast. The flip side was we didn't have heat either except for a fireplace and propane heater in the living room and a small electric heater in the bathroom. Nothing in the bed rooms. I had bed side glass of water freeze before. I couldn't image my family living like that now but Dad built a home out of nothing with only persistence and determination and gave all his kids a head start that he didn't have. Really, I remember it occasionally being hot or cold but not that bad.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

The A/C hasn't worked in my truck for 8 years. I couldn't imagine a house without A/C. I dont mind sweating when I'm working, but not when I sleep.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Always had AC in my house growing up in the 70s and 80s thankfully. Did not have AC in my school until we moved from Taft, Texas the summer before my freshman year and my high school at Smithson Valley was air conditioned. Of course after we left, Taft ended up putting AC units in every classroom..

Honestly I don't remember it being a big issue...we were always outside anyway as kids and the coastal breeze wasn't too bad. I guess that's why they gave us a summer break though. 100 degrees in a classroom would be brutal.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #21
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

I know it does not get as hot or humid here, but we get a pretty good share of 90-100 degree days . And I did not have a/c growing up, none of our cars had a/c either ( still don't have a/c in two of my trucks) I did not have a/c until about five years after I started working in the hvac field. But man once we got it, we don't know how to this day we made it.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #22
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

My grandparents didn't have AC until I was probably a teenager. They did have an attic fan in the house and it kept it reasonably comfortable. I'm sure we were all more heat tolerant when we were younger too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Ha, some folks won't even hunt the early part of bow season with the modified coolers as a a/c unit.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #24
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default No AC?

I have a 77 year old uncle, who lives in Edna, that does not have A/C.
We did not have A/C in my childhood home until 1980. Attic Fan worked just fine.. Sleep by a window at night and wake up with your hair wet. It's humid down here on the coast. I can remember being woke up numerous times on foggy nights because the geese would be flying low and their honking would wake me up.....
I miss those days.. The geese are gone..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 07-31-2017 at 01:42 PM..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
Ungawa
Eight Point

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I have a 77 year old uncle, who lives in Edna, that does not have A/C.
We did not have A/C in my childhood home until 1980. Attic Fan worked just fine.. Sleep by a window at night and wake up with your hair wet. It's humid down here on the coast. I can remember being woke up numerous times on foggy nights because the geese would be flying low and their honking would wake me up.....
I miss those days.. The geese are gone..

Cool memory.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #26
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Always had AC in my house growing up in the 70s and 80s thankfully. Did not have AC in my school until we moved from Taft, Texas the summer before my freshman year and my high school at Smithson Valley was air conditioned. Of course after we left, Taft ended up putting AC units in every classroom..

Honestly I don't remember it being a big issue...we were always outside anyway as kids and the coastal breeze wasn't too bad. I guess that's why they gave us a summer break though. 100 degrees in a classroom would be brutal.
I don't remember it being an issue either. I guess if you don't have something from the day you're born, you don't know to miss it. And yes, we played outside all day and usually bare footed. In the summer time, shoes were for church.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #27
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Here is an interesting piece on how the invention of climate control is killing you

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/0...cold-exposure/

We always had Central AC growing up, but slept with the windows open and ac off. But it gets considerably more comfortable here at night on the Caprock. My house as an adult doesent even have windows that can open in the master bedroom
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #28
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
I don't remember it being an issue either. I guess if you don't have something from the day you're born, you don't know to miss it. And yes, we played outside all day and usually bare footed. In the summer time, shoes were for church.
Yep.. I don't remember it being bad at all.. When we did get A/C it was a window unit, for the living room only, and we kept doors closed..
As far as barefoot goes, I don't remember even wearing shoes to the grocery store until I was about 15 or so much less just running around outside... My feet soleswere extremely tough back then...
CAN YOU IMAGINE that today???????
Like I said, I miss that day and age..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #29
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iowa

I grew up without AC. College dorms didn't have it. My first place with it was in Augusta, GA after college was over.
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Bruiser
Ten Point

global warming
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #31
ladrones
Pope & Young

These days if the hvac system is down in the school they shut the school down till it is repaired.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #32
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

There are lots of folks that don't have A/C in their house. Most of them can't afford internet service and login to TBH to tell you about it though.

Shade, water, and air circulation go a really long way. The worst part about power going out isn't just the A/C... it is not having power to run a fan.

In my hunting cabin... if it's hot, I just keep the two doors open and run a fan to force a breeze and I'll be fine.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #33
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Some sweaty mattresses back in the day!
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #34
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I grew up with no ac but had ceiling fans in most every room. Granted i grew up in HI so houses were built with windows to catch the trade winds and 95% of the year no ac was needed
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #35
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

It is remarkable how fast you get used to it. One of my sons used to spend a the month of July every summer as a counselor at a camp in central Texas with no AC. When he got home he couldn't stand to be in the house - too cold. For the first few days back he would set the upstairs thermostat where his room is at 80*
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #36
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

I stayed in a house in CO two weeks ago that didn't have AC. Even with the high only around 80 it was too dang hot. We had all the doors and windows open with fans circulating air all day and night.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #37
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.

I remember no AC in elementary school in the mid 1960's. Teachers always opened the windows and we had the big oscillating fans in the room. Fun times. NOT!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #38
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton & Young Counties

Those afternoons in the house in 100 degrees were more bearable because I had walked to and from school for five miles in the snow.

Actually, we had a couple of window units in our house in the 60's. My elementary school had no A/C. I can't imagine how the teachers kept our attention after lunch and PE and then we were sitting in classrooms in 90+ degrees.
I remember when we had central air installed in our house. I was probably 8 or 9. My brother and I went running through the house doing flips exclaiming "its cool in here, too!"
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #39
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

That is one of the main reasons we were never inside when we stayed at my grandparents. Swamp cooler and a fan is all they had, it was miserable inside. They've only had an AC in their bedroom for maybe 15 years now, AC in the living room for 10 or so.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #40
hog_down
Four Point

I guess I'm a little younger than most, but can someone explain to me what an attic fan is? I'm having a hard time visualizing it...
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #41
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
I guess I'm a little younger than most, but can someone explain to me what an attic fan is? I'm having a hard time visualizing it...
Big fan in the attic over a large (often 2'x4') vent in the ceiling. The fan sucks air out of the house and into the attic creating airflow, pulling air from outside through open windows.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #42
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Large front porch where even 100 degrees is comfortable with the breeze blowing through it.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #43
Ungawa
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Big fan in the attic over a large (often 2'x4') vent in the ceiling. The fan sucks air out of the house and into the attic creating airflow, pulling air from outside through open windows.
I believe it also pushes the cooler air from inside the house into the attic, which pushes the hot attic air out the room usually through the gable end vents.

There is also usually barometric dampers installed on the fan, so when the fan was off the living space was isolated from the attic, so to speak.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:05 PM   #44
CaptainDave
Ten Point

As previously stated, if you never had AC, you didn't know what you were missing.

My dad didn't have AC in his house growing up. They did have an attic fan and he remembers it being pretty comfortable at night. I'm sure he would think differently now.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #45
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Had a.c. at home but did not have in school until high school

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #46
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

I have 4 ac's in my house......cannot imagine living here without AC!!!
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #47
Ungawa
Eight Point

All I can say is it must have sucked for those that had to work night shift and have to sleep during the day without AC.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #48
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Been off work for almost a year. Just turned my window units on for the summer 3 weeks ago. Been using fans prior to that. And kept the house windows open. Sometimes it was cooler outside than inside. Now I got AC at the new job I started 3 weeks ago too.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-31-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #49
double bogey
Eight Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Didn't have a/c until high school. Remember sweating and waiting for the oscillating fan to turn your way. Got window units at home in about the 3rd grade or so. My grandparents that were in their 80's stayed with us and were too cold, and sat out on the porch a lot, and couldn't keep warm in the central heat in the winter, they were used to the Dearborn heaters at their house.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #50
Maxxed Outdoors
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palestine

I had to Google "swamp cooler"...
Maxxed Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top