GASTRO BYPASS..Who has had it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GASTRO BYPASS..Who has had it done?

I am considering this for health reasons. I would like to hear real world experiences please. The good, bad and ugly

My sister in law had the procedure where they cut away part of her stomach last year. She has been in the hospital most of the entire last year with leaks in her stomach and is now on a feeding tube. She is addicted to pain meds and is trying to kick those. She said it was the worst decision she ever made. I also know a few people that have had it done and they are doing great.

Comment

Which surgeon are you considering?

Your coming into SA for it?

(If you are that far into the process)

Comment

I haven't, but had 2 siblings and a husband whose kids I coach do it, and have seen them lose significant weight. 1 is half their original weight, and the other 2 have lost at least a third of their weight. This is after around 2 years...

Comment

There are several TBHers that have done it. Perhaps they will come along and respond when they see this.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Which surgeon are you considering?

Your coming into SA for it?

(If you are that far into the process)
            Dr Lloyd Stegemann, Corpus Christi.
            I am not opposed to traveling to SA though

Comment

I have had 4 personal friends do it. All 4 lost significant weight. 3 went back to eating like before and have gained all if not most the weight. 1 followed the regimen, eats healthy, works out etc.

It is life changing but also habitat changing, mind changing etc. It's not a gimme. One of them went back last yr to the same doc and asked for a second shot at the surgery. Doc said nope. He refused to follow his guidelines so no more.

Best of luck to you

Comment

2 coworkers had it and lost a ton of weight... And now have gained it all back. Seems like if you don't have will power to eat healthy and in moderation as well as exercise it isn't going to do anything for you.

Comment

My wife had the sleeve a year ago next week. The surgery and recovery went super smooth and she is down 115 lbs today. She is so much healthier, and I am very proud of her progress. That being said, a guy I work with almost died from complications. I did an extensive amount of research on it because I was not originally in favor of it. Go to a surgeon that specializes in these surgeries only. I will send you a PM.

Comment

My wife tried the lap-band and had problems, some they did try a sleeve, it was mildly successful. Then failed she didn't stick to the rules, her doctor wanted me to do it
                    I told him to call me whenever he has a successful patient

Comment

I did the sleeve 5 years ago this month and lost 170 lbs. I was 385 and got down to 215. I had an injury that slowed me down last year and I have gained back 50 and currently at 265. I am still only eating 1800-2000 calories a day but not working out has been my main issue. Your metabolism gets used to the low calorie intake after surgery and you really have to be disciplined. I had a smooth surgery and was back to work 5 days later. From what i have seen and read only about 1 in 4 are able to keep the weight off...you must change habits or it will be pointless.

Comment

Know if two people. One was years ago and looked terrible, constantly threw up, and was miserable. Have heard he gained most back but haven’t seen him. Current coworker had it done. Lost like 25lbs prior as a requirement to show his commitment. He wasn’t what most would consider obese just overweight but a solid guy with a lot of muscle. We honestly didn’t think he really needed it, and thought he could do it without surgery. He looked sick as hell at first, but is starting to look normal. He lost a ton of weight and gained enough back to look normal again. He is super committed, works out regularly and runs several miles without stopping a few times a week. At first he could eat very little and would get full. Now he can almost finish a kids meal before he gets full.

Comment

Have had several coworkers that have done the sleeve. I'll say this, if you love food and it's a big part of your life, it will be tough to keep it off. If food isn't that big of a deal and you can push away from the table you have a better shot at success.

Comment

I did it due to type 2 diabetic. Wasn't big enough so no insurance and paid out of pocket. I would recommend Dr Patel over the one your looking at. He visits corpus but does all surgery in San Antonio. PM me if you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

It is just a tool to help you lose weight. If you do not use the tool correctly, your results will be slim. No pun intended. I think. [emoji3]

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X