Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflicted about going Vegan.........Long Read.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now hear me out, I never in a million years would ever thought I would say the word Vegan. I'm not a tree or bunny hugger by any means. This is something I have stumbled across and has never crossed my mind. Yesterday I watched a documentary on Netflix titled Vegucated and what I saw was very eye opening. My wife and I are planning on staying away from the meats from grocery stores and fast food restaurants. I cannot go from the one day to the next from being a caveman with a turkey leg on each hand to eating the grass in my backyard. it will take time and for the most part im scared. This is a huge lifestyle change and im tired of just talking and talking about how I want a change, because I cant stick to any plan for any amount of time but I think this may be the change I need. I want to life a good healthy life for me and my family. I'm young but have sky high cholesterol and im not putting up with that anymore. I don't think Gods plan was eating these chickens pumped with so much steroids and hormones there breasts get so big they cant even walk because they are so top heavy. My 10yr son watched the documentary today and he was at a loss of words. Sorry this is a long read, don't beat me up too much on this as I'm not pushing this on anybody. This is a little confusing to me and I have a bunch of research to do. I would love your input because I believe the meat from animals I've harvested is very good to eat such as deer hogs and fish. its a quick kill and no suffering is involved and I want to continue to carry out these traditions and pass them down to my sons. So maybe going pure Vegan isn't the answer but all of the processed foods is something I should definitely stay away from.

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

The only vegetables I used to eat was corn and carrots. Then I took a nutrition class in college and watched a video on Netflix called Forks Over Knives and it was really eye opening as well. I forced myself to eat all kinds of vegetables and now I've acquired a taste for them. I love eating salads and stir frys with a variety of vegetables. I haven't gave up meat but that movie was a real eye opener for me as well

Comment

All those shows have a bias to them. Its easy to make it seem worse than what it is.

I could never go vegan. But I prefer farm eggs, venison and prime cuts of pork and beef.

get away from processed foods and you will see a huge difference in how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
        All those shows have a bias to them. Its easy to make it seem worse than what it is.

I could never go vegan. But I prefer farm eggs, venison and prime cuts of pork and beef.

get away from processed foods and you will see a huge difference in how you feel.
        I agree 100% ^^^^^

Comment

^^^ I agree with the above and I'm not a fan of protein sources vegans have to rely on.

There is plenty of "clean" meat, especially if you are a hunter.

Comment

It is my belief that God made us to be omnivores and we shouldn't go form one extreme to the other. Our physiology proves that we were meant to eat both meat AND vegetables...we have some teeth like a cow for grinding and some up front and to the side made for cutting meat like predators. I know we weren't meant to eat the diets most Americans have become accustomed to but I personally don't think Vegan is the way either.

Also I think true vegans don't use any animal products including dairy, eggs, wild game or utilize leather.

And for what it's worth my opinion is probably worthless. I am fat and out of shape so...
            Last edited by Cantcatch5; 07-19-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

no one on this forum will have a problem with vegetarians....in fact....most everything we eat is a vegetarian.

Comment

Just get away from processed food

Eat organic chicken. Eat grass fed beef. It's not a hard lifestyle change

Comment

IMO the problem is all the crap pumped into meat bought at the store. Be it fish, chicken, beef etc most store bought crap is just that...crap. We feed out a steer every 18 mo or so and might do two this year.

Comment

I'm a 2nd-hand vegetarian--animals eat grass and I eat them. I don't buy into all the scare-mongering such as you watched and has gotten your attention, but that is for you to decide for you.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post

^^^^^this^^^^^

Comment

That was a very fast response, thanks everybody. staying away from processed foods is a must. In the documentary it was proven even the packages that stated "Humane" or "free range" proved to be otherwise. there was a special here in Houston on Chan13 news last Thursday about how many families here in the Houston area are starting up their own farms in the Houston area suburbs and are 100% legit. I need to look into this. im happy to hear yalls thoughts, I love to hunt and eat what I kill. Now I can probably use this as an excuse to buy a new boat!!! afterall I want fresh fish right!! haha

Comment

Pretty sure I'm saw some statistics the other day that said the life span of a vegan is 7 years shorter on average.

No proof anywhere that supports your t being a better healther lifestyle

Comment

Thera are no steroids or growth hormones in chicken. It is illegal and it will have no benefit (no faster growth t justify adds cost). A chicken grows faster and bigger by selected breeding. No different that raising trophy deer. The problem with commercial poultry is the excessive medication. Stick to organic and you won't have to worry. on the other hand beef normally gets hormones, free rang bed is available almost everywhere... Just have to get used to the lower fat content...

Comment

There is a huge difference in eating clean food and going vegan. It sounds like you are more concerned with eating clean, unaltered foods.

Comment

Working...
                              X