No announcement yet.

Protein Intake STX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from Mexico Sunday and it is green as ever. We put out our first ton of cottenseed and topped off the protien. I am not planning on putting out any more protien till the middle of next month. The brush is in great shape and I know that is better for them right now rather they want the protien or not. Other than that they started slacking off on hitting the pens last week from what we could tell.

Comment

5 weeks ago we topped off the feeders (Bell county). They had been filled 6 weeks before that and they were still 2/3 full when we topped them off. Checked them Saturday (after the latest 5 weeks) and they are bone dry.

Comment

We have one feeder that is going thru 20 lbs/day, over 1000 pictures every 3 days but other feeders not so much. Average probably 10lbs/day right now in Hardin Co.

Comment

Nice & green - gonna delay for another couple weeks...

Any other reports??

Comment

I know it's not stx, but at our place in Taylor county they're hitting it pretty hard. Emptied one 2000#'er in a little less than a month. Didn't feel like filling it up all the way and put 700#s in it last tuesday, by the following monday it was bone dry. Going to fill up this next week and actually put a camera on it. 100#/day just sounds crazy.

Comment

We are seeing an increase in consumption over the past week or two. Based on a estimated population of 150 adult deer, we are feeding 7,000 lbs per month. That equates to about 1.5 lbs per adult deer, per day. This is up about 30% since April when the brush was in full bloom with lots of Spring forbes.

Comment

Protein feeders are getting worked over in Dewitt. Also noticed the deer are working on the partridge peas that are blooming.

Comment

Was at the lease in Zavala county last Thursday. Protein is being hit really hard despite the green range conditions.

Comment

heading down to top off/refill pro-feeders this weekend...
                    getting reports from ranch owner that its as green as he's ever seen it... doing lotsa roll choppin..

Comment

I am going to hold off on Protien This month due to the green up. Two yrs ago we had 70ins of rain that yr on the lease and the deer never let up on Protien. For the amount of Protien fed that yr I was disapointed with the horns come season. Sence then I have been trying to cut the protien off when I know the brush is better for them and then hit them hard early and late when they need it most. Anyone else try this or seen there deer getting to dependent to Protien?

Comment

Our deer won't touch protien when it's green but they dont eat a lot any way. This is only the second year our deer have ever had protein so they aren't accustomed to eating it yet. I would be surprised if we even have to refill them more than once this year at the rate we are going. This is good news of course.
                        Last edited by KactusKiller; 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                          I am going to hold off on Protien This month due to the green up. Two yrs ago we had 70ins of rain that yr on the lease and the deer never let up on Protien. For the amount of Protien fed that yr I was disapointed with the horns come season. Sence then I have been trying to cut the protien off when I know the brush is better for them and then hit them hard early and late when they need it most. Anyone else try this or seen there deer getting to dependent to Protien?
                          Never seen them get dependent on protein. My buddy is running a deer every 4 acres, he packs the protein to them year around. When it greens up his deer back off and hit the browse on there own. My place is the same way and I have a deer for about every 16 acres. I wouldn't think it would be worth the time and money in fuel to go back and fourth to shut them off, and back on again.

Comment

I will be back at the lease this weekend. I will be curious to see what they have eaten in 9 days.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG D View Post
                              I will be back at the lease this weekend. I will be curious to see what they have eaten in 9 days.
                              I have approx. 1 deer per 8 acres. Eating about 150# per feeder per week and about 1/4 of a cottonseed basket per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx625 View Post
                                Never seen them get dependent on protein. My buddy is running a deer every 4 acres, he packs the protein to them year around. When it greens up his deer back off and hit the browse on there own. My place is the same way and I have a deer for about every 16 acres. I wouldn't think it would be worth the time and money in fuel to go back and fourth to shut them off, and back on again.
                                I am Lucky to have Cowboys on the ranch yr around that is only a Phone Call away. or No it would not be worth The gas. In the past the deer would turn off but, after our fourth season I have about ten feeders that they hit hard regardless how green it is. The other 9 feeders would slow down a little. Come the end of June when the brush starts drying out I will go thru 50lbs a days across the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X