Backpack hunt for whitetails on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome info Froggy. Thanks!

Going to plan a trip later this fall when the weather gets right.

Comment

Have you checked out lake Meredith north of Amarillo?

Comment

They were going to lift the camping in designated only for the SHNF. Cannot remember if the special order was reinstated or not.

Comment

found this thread on the Fannin Unit. does not sound like the hunting is outstanding, but the chance at a hunt/backpack/camp trip sounds fun...

(there's talk of bear warning signs in this thread )

and this says primitive tent camping is available for $10 per tent per night...

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
            found this thread on the Fannin Unit. does not sound like the hunting is outstanding, but the chance at a hunt/backpack/camp trip sounds fun...

(there's talk of bear warning signs in this thread )

and this says primitive tent camping is available for $10 per tent per night...
            http://www.lakefannin.org/rental.htm
            The lakefannin.org group is no longer operating the small campground, lodge and cabins. That area is closed to public use. There is no fee for dispersed camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
              Sweet find. I will apply for that one next year for sure. Thanks!
              Talk to Wanderen39 he drew that hunt this year. He'll get you some good info on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                The lakefannin.org group is no longer operating the small campground, lodge and cabins. That area is closed to public use. There is no fee for dispersed camping.
                nice, less people, more deer...

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can camp anywhere at LBJ even during hunting season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

"All camping in the Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine or Sam Houston National Forest or the Caddo National Grasslands must be in designated campsites or developed recreation areas from Sept. 15 through Feb. 1."

Doesn't mention LBJ

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                      I'm pretty sure you can camp anywhere at LBJ even during hunting season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                      have you been to fannin unit justin?

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                        have you been to fannin unit justin?
                        I haven't. This is actually the first I've ever really heard of it. Sounds interesting for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                          I haven't. This is actually the first I've ever really heard of it. Sounds interesting for sure.
                          agree and it's not too far from me

Comment

How cool would it be though, to have a place here in Texas where you could pack in 4 or 5 miles and hunt the way we do in other states.
                            I agree it would be awesome! This is something that I intend to do one day. I have been gathering my gear in preparation of doing this. I have bought hammocks for the wife and I and attempting to downsize the rest of my gear to backpack size.

In the Sam Houston, it won't be deer I will be chasing when I do this, due to camping restrictions. I will have to wait until after deer season in order to spike camp. It will be hogs I will be hunting in the off season.

I also have a couple of FS roads picked out and intend to ride my bike back in there and spike camp and hunt with my black powder gear for a long weekend. Going to be a blast

Comment

Awesome info Froggy. Thanks!

Going to plan a trip later this fall when the weather gets right.
                              Did you ever do this trip?

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                                Did you ever do this trip?
                                He can't answer ya. He's in "The Cooler".

Comment

Working...
                                X