Gila Bull Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gila Bull Down!

My bow season for 2016 got kicked off with a great start in New Mexico. Last year after numerous phone calls and emails I ended up choosing Wilderness Outfitters as my outfitter for the hunt. Got lucky and drew a tag and the hunt preparation started. Arrived at base camp September 6th. Rain awoke me the next morning making an interesting horse ride to spike camp. Mother nature made the next two days tough with little activity. Once conditions dried up our strategy was call in the mornings and hunt water in the evenings. The rut seemed to be delayed because bulls just wouldn't commit to coming into the call. Instead they would just stand their ground and bugle. Then my luck finally changed on September 11th. That day was very hot and I was really feeling confident about the water hole I was going to that evening. I got settled in about 5:00 and heard my first bugle directly behind me at 6:30. About 6:45 I looked up to my left and saw nothing but antlers coming. I knew it was a shooter and got ready. He approached the tank slowly and a few minutes later made it to the edge of the water. I shot a quick range revealing 68 yards. The bull was slightly quartering to me as he drank. I drew slowly and settled my pin then released. The bull ran back up the tank dam and stopped! My first thought was "how did I miss?!". Then I saw the blood coming out from the entry wound. However, the shot was further back than I wanted and quickly nocked another arrow. I previously had ranged that spot and knew it was right at 81 yards. I quickly dialed to 80 yards, drew and released the arrow. I watched as the arrow flew across the tank and finally hitting the bull right where I was aiming! The bull ran down the tank dam and crashed about 40 yards under a pine tree. I couldn't believe it, I had just killed my first elk! This was the most rewarding hunt of my life so far. Thanks for reading
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Man oh Man. Congrats. One Day, Bucket List

Comment

I can't see the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! That's awesome!

Comment

Supercool! Congrats!

Comment

That was quick! Congrats on a really nice bull!

Comment

That's awesome...... congrats

Comment

Awesome!!!!!

Congrats on the bull.

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Straight up Awesome Right There. Congrats on a True hunt of a Lifetime.

Comment

Wow. Great job

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Nice Bull !!

Comment

Great hunt. Just for curiosity how long did it take you to draw tags?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X