1st amendment rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
    BS!!! Management is anything but neutral, management is avoiding anything that will bring attention to the company and to avoid the all dreaded LAWSUIT, unfortunately this means they have to cater to the snowflakes, because they've learned how to use the legal system to effectively get what they want.
    Whatever.

If the said clipboard had displayed something - anti-Christian, anti-American, racist, was degrading to women, made fun of old people, or anything else that some employee felt offended about, Management would have followed up the exact same way. That's not catering to snowflakes. It's being a good employer that's trying to create a positive work environment and be respectful to all of their employees.

IMO, why even bring a clip board like that to work? What good comes from that? Oh, a couple high fives from a few co-workers that actually agree with the message?

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
      NFL player are employees, Heck the have OWNERS! They aren't afraid of loosing their jobs. Why? Because 88% of them are black or part black.

No, it's actually because 90% of the players bosses did not tell them they couldn't kneel for the anthem. And the players don't have owners the teams have. For what it's worth I think they're all attention whores and 90% don't understand what they are protesting any more than they understand the first amendment. And acting like them won't improve anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
        Heck yeah. Do it so you get fired. Then collect disability the rest of your life because you now suffer from PTSD from your ordeal.
        He did a Munson! Hadn't thunked about that in awhile.
        God bless!
        Semper Fi.
        Yeah, I am. "That guy"
        PTSD. Are you serious? Collect disability because you got fired from a job, in a right to work state. Do you even know what you are talking about? Surely, this is a joke. Oh yeah, get fired or terminated, so that you have to put that on your next job application. Over a dang clipboard and a sticker. My goodness!

I swear, some of the responses on this thread. Texas is a right to work state. Do what you want with your clipboard. But, if you get fired for it, dont **** and moan about your 1st amendment rights being infringed upon. You obviously do not know what that means, even though many on this thread have tried to explain it to you. There is a lot of good advice on this thread and a lot of people that know what they are talking about. Either take the advice or dont, but be ready to face the consequences of not taking the advice. Does it suck, absolutely, but what is more important? Your clipboard or your career.

The main thing that I see here is that your clipboard is just unprofessional in nature. Is it offensive to a snowflake co-worker of yours? Probably so. Even though I may agree with it, I still would not have that clipboard out in the open for all to see. Heck, there is a lot of things that I would hot have in the open, simply for the sake of not wanting to fight stupid little battles like this, especially one's that I know I am not going to win because of all the political correctness in the world today.

SMH!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          No, it's actually because 90% of the players bosses did not tell them they couldn't kneel for the anthem. And the players don't have owners the teams have. For what it's worth I think they're all attention whores and 90% don't understand what they are protesting any more than they understand the first amendment. And acting like them won't improve anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Just like 90% of folks talking about them don’t even know or care what they’re protesting because it doesn’t affect them. I think the OP needs to keep crap like that out the workplace. To even think that was acceptable is foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
            I certainly don't have any problem with the sentiment expressed on your clipboard.
            However, how is this situation any different from the football players wanting to 'express' their 'free speech' rights by protesting the National Anthem?
            Express your 'free speech' freely on your free time. When on your employer's time, your employer should be able to limit such expressions (as the NFL should have done early on).
            I was just typing this when I read your post. Spot on.

Comment

I don't have an issue with the sentiment of the clipboard, but bringing it to work is unprofessional. Being upset that it was brought to the attention of upper management is naïve, at best, asinine at worst. This would be no different from a teacher wearing a shirt to school that says "Obama Sucks". They're not doing anything illegal, and the government has no right to stop them from wearing the shirt. I agree with the shirt. But it's still inappropriate for the workplace, and the workplace will put a stop to it. You have no 1st amendment right to bring that clipboard to work. You can fight it, but you're going to lose. And after you're terminated, when future employers find out why, your job opportunities will be greatly diminished (although I wouldn't be shocked if you found someone with an equally cloudy understanding of the first amendment who might hire you to make a political statement).

Comment

Pick your battles brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  There is a difference between not being a snowflake and being intellectually honest. You say you don't watch football anymore because of the whole Collin Kapernick/flag protest stuff? Well you are doing the same thing, expressing a controversial opinion at work. Management is asking you to stop doing it, it's causing problems. As many have pointed out, this has nothing to do with the first amendment. If you cannot see the parallels then you are not being honest with yourself.

I expect this thread is not going as you thought it would. I agree that the first step when you have an issue with someone is to take it up with them face to face. However, sometimes there are other channels that are more appropriate. This may be one of those times, I don't know.
                  Bingo.

Comment

Some are sure stretching when comparing the OP situation to Colin Kapernik!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                      How is it a stretch? seems to be a pretty good comparison as far as I can tell

Comment

Ok. THREAD FAIL!! No one else was saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                          it's not a stretch. the only difference is you don't support kaperniks message and you do support the OP's

Comment

Just to clarify I would stop both situations if it was in my workforce.

The Op's situation was not being pushed and is strictly in house between two employees. He's told its offensive to some and needs to stop.

Kap is using a National platform pushing his position for all to see that effects not only coworkers but also the customer. Kap is allowed to continue without the NFL saying enough is enough. I can assure you if one of my employees did this it would be stopped immediately.

Alternate situation where the 1st Amendment is enforced.
                            Employee wearing a hijab is offensive to another employee but nothing is done by HR since it's a religious freedom protected by the 1st Amendment.
                            Funny how its only enforced in some situations but not others. Double Standard!!

People have become far to sensitive in today's society and lack the ability to handle situations that 20 years ago adults would discuss and settle peaceable amongst themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                              it's not a stretch. the only difference is you don't support kaperniks message and you do support the OP's
                              Glad you can read my mind. But your wrong to think its the message. Everybody has the right to think what they want and express themselves regardless of what others think. That's your right as an American.
                              I do however disagree with the timing Kap choose to bring his message to the forefront!!! I'm patriotic and think it's very unamerican to disrespect the flag!!!

Comment

Op, it's most likely unprofessional. I don't know your work environment, but obviously someone got hurt feelings. Is the guy Middle Eastern or muslim? Or a sjw? Also, do you know what the symbol on the forehead means? Maybe that is part of it. Who knows?
                                You would like to see grownups handle these kinds of things between themselves but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. We have several crybabies where I work that run and tattle if you look at them wrong.
                                Either way, this doesn't seem to be a battle you will win.

Comment

Working...
                                X