Long range ballistics guru's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
    Adjust your BC. Also, assuming you are shooting the same direction for all ranges. If you are shooting east on the 1000yd and west for the 800, coriolis can be this far off.
    Bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
      Adjust your BC. Also, assuming you are shooting the same direction for all ranges. If you are shooting east on the 1000yd and west for the 800, coriolis can be this far off.
      Right here.

A lot of times the published bc isn't what the real world number turns out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        Right here.

A lot of times the published bc isn't what the real world number turns out to be.
        I have seen this and adjusted for it before but it always showed up sooner versus being on at multiple ranges and then just falling out.

I will keep playing with it and see.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          37.1 actual (36.1 per chart)

My values come up a little different. What elevation are you shooting at? These are at 1650' ASL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dumb question, but I'm assuming hand loads?
            What powder? And what time of year were they worked up?

I think you are fighting a transonic issue, it starts having affects around 1340FPS.

.248 G7 B.C
            2660 FPS
            This is close as I could get.

Scott
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobyh View Post
              Dumb question, but I'm assuming hand loads?

What powder? And what time of year were they worked up?

I think you are fighting a transonic issue, it starts having affects around 1340FPS.

.248 G7 B.C

2660 FPS

This is close as I could get.

Scott

That pretty much nailed it!

But doesn't match what mine calculates with same info in my weather.

Luckily we will get out there in time for some dope trueing prior to the shoot.

Thanks
              Last edited by bboswell; 08-15-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                My values come up a little different. What elevation are you shooting at? These are at 1650' ASL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

381' elevation here. Headed to 7500' to shoot

Comment

It's your BC. With loss in velocity you need to build a BC chart for your dope. That bullet does funny stuff at transonic and loses near all accuracy at subsonic. I consider .308 a great cartridge inside 700 beyond that yes you can hit targets but not with absolute consistency and accuracy. This is where the rise in popularity of the .260 6.5 creed and 6mm stuff comes into play. Higher velocity, higher BC and maintain supersonic speeds at greater distances. Build a bc chart for your extended ranges and reverse engineer what you know your dope is. I try and help this weekend if your there Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterpt1 View Post
                    It's your BC. With loss in velocity you need to build a BC chart for your dope. That bullet does funny stuff at transonic and loses near all accuracy at subsonic. I consider .308 a great cartridge inside 700 beyond that yes you can hit targets but not with absolute consistency and accuracy. This is where the rise in popularity of the .260 6.5 creed and 6mm stuff comes into play. Higher velocity, higher BC and maintain supersonic speeds at greater distances. Build a bc chart for your extended ranges and reverse engineer what you know your dope is. I try and help this weekend if your there Friday.

This rifle will be in ladies & youth so hopefully it won't need to go past 750ish. We will be there Thurs.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      What would you do?
                      If it's a repeated pattern correct my dope chart and keep shooting.
                      Unless you're getting subsonic (likely at that range), in which case your ability to predict the behavior is going to fall off quickly.

Comment

This is as close as I could get 24.3 at 800 and 37.1 at 1000 . Starting velocity of 2680

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

apps get you close real world scenario gets you closer. Correct data in your hard data book and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X