Arrow Selection- 3Rivers Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Selection- 3Rivers Calculator

I am crossing over from compound to traditional for hunting and just got a Samick Sage 50 lb. I am trying to select an arrow with about 500 gr total weight, including a 125 gr broadhead. I am using the 3Rivers Dynamic Spine Calculator, and I can't get anywhere close to making the bow dynamic spine and the arrow dynamic spine match while maintaining around 500 gr total arrow weight. I am getting around 425-450 total arrow weight.

Should the 3Rivers calculator be used for selecting a hunting arrow, or is it optimized for target arrows? Should I be more concerned with total arrow weight or spine? Or should I just get a variety of arrows and tips and use trial and error to see what works best?

BTW, I am 28.5" draw length and I have always preferred Gold Tip arrows, for compound bows anyway. I would like to use Gold Tip Traditional. Thanks.

If you need to add more weight, go to the next stiffer spine shaft (assuming carbon) and use heavier points or inserts.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Go with gold tip traditional classics. The 400 spine is 11.4 grains per inch. They also come with 78 grain inserts. I pull 52# at my 30" draw. Full length classics with 125 works nicely for me. Weighing in at about 590 grains. As for that calculator, it always gives me a stiff arrow. That is until I tuned an arrow and entered it in and adjusted the form correction factor. It seems to work for most people. Either my long draw length throws it off or I have horrible form. I don't know.

Comment

My bows are 52# at my draw length of 28.5. I have 3 rivers cut my arrows at 31.5 with a 100 gr brass insert. 125 grain broadhead and a nocturnal bring total arrow weight to 546gr. I like the Traditional Only carbons better than the GT trad classics. Both in 400 spine. Good luck. I wasted a bunch of money trying to figure out the right arrow combo on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard31 View Post
          I am crossing over from compound to traditional for hunting and just got a Samick Sage 50 lb. I am trying to select an arrow with about 500 gr total weight, including a 125 gr broadhead. I am using the 3Rivers Dynamic Spine Calculator, and I can't get anywhere close to making the bow dynamic spine and the arrow dynamic spine match while maintaining around 500 gr total arrow weight. I am getting around 425-450 total arrow weight.

Should the 3Rivers calculator be used for selecting a hunting arrow, or is it optimized for target arrows? Should I be more concerned with total arrow weight or spine? Or should I just get a variety of arrows and tips and use trial and error to see what works best?

BTW, I am 28.5" draw length and I have always preferred Gold Tip arrows, for compound bows anyway. I would like to use Gold Tip Traditional. Thanks.
          As Bisch and others have mentioned you need to add more weight up front. Not really just for FOC, but so you can get a heavy enough arrow, at a certain length, spined right. You are not the only one, but alot of folks who make the switch start with their broadhead weight set in stone, and try to make it work with just the shaft. Point weight has a big impact on dynamic spine so we use that to our advantage often. Some folks will add insert weights or weighted inserts (20, 50, 100+ grains) Some folks will just go up in point weight 150, 175, 200+ grains. You will find that there are traditional heads that are that heavy. While some folks do a little bit of both. I am in that category. I originally on your same setup (but I drew 27") used 29" Carbon Express herritage 150s with no insert weight and at 175gr head. When I switched bows, all I had to tune to get my old arrows flying the way I wanted was to add 50gr of insert weight. GT inserts have weights you can buy that screw into the back of their inserts (CX uses the same insert.)

Long story short... you will want to play with your weight up front to get heavier and spined correctly.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Comment

I don't know and can't speak for everyone but it seems that people fret and worry about getting a carbon arrow to fly well. The internet is full of arrow tuning advice. I just went off of the selection chart for my setup and my arrows fly straight. Most say I'm way over spined but they work for my setup. 55 lb longbow, 29" gold tip 400, 125 gr tip. I like heavy arrows so I added 5gpi weight tubes as well. And they shoot where I look.
              Last edited by muddydog; 08-04-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

3rivers offers a Goldtip Traditional bare shaft testing kit so you can determine your optimal spine at a weight you are happy with before ordering a full dozen arrows. You get 4 full length arrows, 1 of each spine offered. It might seem like a waste but it really is a good way to be certain of what you need before buying a full dozen.

Comment

Call 3rivers, they can tell you!!

Comment

I plugged your info into the calculator. Assuming your strike plate is .06 and a dacron string Gold tip 400 29.5" 125 gr tip 50 gr insert. Nock 11.5 gr. 3x5" feathers. Total weight 532.4 grains. Dynamic spine within 0.9. This is almost identical to my setup.
                    Last edited by muddydog; 08-04-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

When I was shooting my Sage (#55 and a 28.5 draw) I was able to get a 10gpp 400 spine arrow tuned.

When I put a fast flight string on, I had to jump up to 340 spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X