No announcement yet.

Browntop Millet - Throw and Mow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the entire field looked like this I would be in business. It is pretty thin throughout the field. I am not very impressed with the throw and mow method. To be fair, one thing that hurt me is after seeding I received .25" of rain and nothing else for 1.5-2 weeks. If I would have received 2-3" of rain I think I would have had better results. I don't think I had enough rain to push the seed into the ground before germinating.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have been doing some research and I think a great option for me is to plant native sunflowers in the fall with my cereal rye food plot. When the elbon starts to mature and dry up the native sunflowers should take off and be ready for the fall. Has anyone had luck with this approach?

I am really leaning towards that route. I wish I had 5-10 acreas to plant but I am fortunate the timber company gave me 2 acres for a food plot when they clear cut this area a few years ago.

Comment

What size wire did you use? Thinking about putting one up in my dove field.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
          I have been doing some research and I think a great option for me is to plant native sunflowers in the fall with my cereal rye food plot. When the elbon starts to mature and dry up the native sunflowers should take off and be ready for the fall. Has anyone had luck with this approach?

I am really leaning towards that route. I wish I had 5-10 acreas to plant but I am fortunate the timber company gave me 2 acres for a food plot when they clear cut this area a few years ago.
          I think this is a good idea, but think the plot needs to be disced in the sprig for the native sunflowers to germinate. Maybe someone with experience will chime in, but think the native seed does best when the soil is disturbed in the spring.

Comment

Working...
          X