Marlin model 1895 sights problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marlin model 1895 sights problem

I'm at my wits end! I have a Marlin 1895 45-70 that I put a Skinner peep sight on. Then I loaded up some 405 grain hard cast bullets for it. The problem I'm having is that it shoots quite low and I can't adjust the peep high enough to bring it on target. I've looked for a front sight that is shorter to bring point of impact up, but I can't find one. It has a ramp front sight, so the dovetail is on the ramp. Skinners' front sights are all dovetails so they are all too tall. I can't find shorter front sights on Marlin's website, so it seems I'm out of luck other than either filing the factory front sight or shimming the rear sight. Does anyone know of a front sight that will fix my problem? Or any other ideas? I'm all in on these 405 grain loads, so that's a done deal.

Why not just file the front sight? Skinner front sights are made to be filed down.
    Last edited by TxAg; 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Coon, what skinner did you order?

I use the Dovetail peep with a front blade or firesight. You can order a skinner front blade and bring a file to the range, add a bit of white appliance paint when you get it where you want it.

I order the dovetail rear sight because it works with the factory front height and I can install weaver grandslam steel bases #s466 to the receiver for use with Leupold QRW’s and a scope.

Comment

I have one of the Lo-pro rear sights laying around if you’d like to try it. They typically work with the standard factory front sight.

This sight comes in two thread sizes. 8-40 for Marlin and Henry Lever Actions. 6-48 for almost all other firearms that are drilled and tapped for scope mounting. The Low Profile 8-40 Sight fits most Marlin and Henry rifles and usually works with the factory front sight. Elevation adjustment is made by turning the stem

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          Coon, what skinner did you order?

I use the Dovetail peep with a front blade or firesight. You can order a skinner front blade and bring a file to the range, add a bit of white appliance paint when you get it where you want it.

I order the dovetail rear sight because it works with the factory front height and I can install weaver grandslam steel bases #s466 to the receiver for use with Leupold QRW’s and a scope.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/48282...slam-s466.html
          I have the blued steel "reliable series" sight.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            I have one of the Lo-pro rear sights laying around if you’d like to try it. They typically work with the standard factory front sight.

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html
            Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
              Where are you located?
              I’m in Dallas. Just pm me your address and i’ll ship it to you to play with.

Comment

Goodluck

Comment

How low are we talking about? Google marlin barrel droop you will find several several posts on a few different forums.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    I’m in Dallas. Just pm me your address and i’ll ship it to you to play with.
                    PM sent, and thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X