Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Found a lost soul last week down in the thick stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What a pig. Hope you get on em Moser.

Comment

As with any grazing animals it will be determined by how close to the ground they have to forage. The more dirt and grit they get in their food source the quicker their teeth will wear down. Livestock on lush pastures will keep teeth longer than those that are constantly having to hunt for every new green sprig that pops up. The longer they have good teeth the longer they will live.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        Well he heard that i had passed Colt and called me. he hasnt owned the property long and didnt know us as he lives out of town. turns out he figured if he passed a deer we would just shoot it. We share pics now several times a week. He is a nice fellow and very interested in letting deer get mature but didnt know it was possible. He was told Colt was 3.5. i shared every year of colts life with him and i think that was a real positive in him understanding that we could have killed Colt every year.

we will see how things play out but I truely believe he will be an asset to us as we will be to him. Good news even if Colt is dead. there are some super deer on the way up!
        Thats great news sounds like the beginning of a great relationship that will be productive for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          With the season starting to wind down a bit, how about posting up some of those hand corn monsters you have been hunting this season?
          Not quite yet. i have destroyed my season and most of the familys season by just hunting Fiddy. Maybe we will get some of the others down soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
            Have you looked at the jaw of any of these old bucks? I'm convinced that the jaw is not a very accurate method of aging especially for east Texas deer. I may be completely wrong though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            Yes I have. Colt was aged by someone at 3.5. He is a KNOWN 5.5. Thats about typical of what we see on tooth aging east tx deer. the wear is way behind south or west tx deer. Personally, i believe deer naturally live longer in east tx than anywhere else in the state. we have had two bucks that lived to a known 14 and one of them may still be alive at 15.

We killed a known six year old two years ago that was aged at 4. Sure would have sucked to be on a lease that went only by tooth wear. I have an incredible amount of history on my deer now. Im constantly amazed how far off i would be even aging from pics if i didnt know certain deers age. The more i learn, the less i know. Folks on here crack me up with the certainty of their aging skills from a couple pics..
            Last edited by GarGuy; 12-13-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Yes I have. Colt was aged by someone at 3.5. He is a KNOWN 5.5. Thats about typical of what we see on tooth aging east tx deer. the wear is way behind south or west tx deer. Personally, i believe deer naturally live longer in east tx than anywhere else in the state. we have had two bucks that lived to a known 14 and one of them may still be alive at 15.

We killed a known six year old two years ago that was aged at 4. Sure would have sucked to be on a lease that went only by tooth wear. I have an incredible amount of history on my deer now. Im constantly amazed how far off i would be even aging from pics if i didnt know certain deers age. The more i learn, the less i know. Folks on here crack me up with the certainty of their aging skills from a couple pics..

We’ve seen the same thing in Etx. Every buck we’ve killed aged 1 year younger by its teeth than we knew the dear was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Tooth wear is dependent on diet more than age.

South TX deer are more dependent on corn picked out of sand which wears teeth faster than natural browse that East Tx deer depend on.

But I agree that the more I watch your known aged deer the less I feel I know about aging. Has me thinking we have passed some we shouldn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Tooth wear is dependent on diet more than age.

South TX deer are more dependent on corn picked out of sand which wears teeth faster than natural browse that East Tx deer depend on.

But I agree that the more I watch your known aged deer the less I feel I know about aging. Has me thinking we have passed some we shouldn't have.
                  I couldnt agree more on diet being a huge consideration in tooth wear. east tx has a soft clean diet as a rule. People using a chart and looking at a jawbone NEVER ask about diet though annd in most cases are totally convinced of their projected age.

Have you seen the thread i posted? "What a difference the rut makes"

Before the rut and after pics of a big ol mature stud. If I only had recent pics of him it would be easy to call him two or three years old.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 12-14-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Before the rut and after pics of a big ol mature stud. If I only had recent pics of him it would be easy to call him two or three years old.
                    Hell you see all the time on here.

I got in a little bit of trouble on my lease 10 years ago for shooting a buck I'm sure was 4.5 but toothwear seemed to indicate 2.5. I was on buck probation the following year and it cost me a monster 10 point. All for nothing...

Comment

Started reading this today and stopped reading my book Wild Men, Wild Alaska because of Gar Guys stories. I made it to page 21 or so but will work on it tomorrow some more. I have been tired of whitetail hunting in Texas and had become enamored with Western hunting. After reading these stories, that has changed. Gar Guy you sir, are a stud. Please keep the stories coming. I think I read somewhere on the pages that you guide. While I dont traditionally use a guide especially hunting whitetails you are the one guy that actually changes that thinking. You are a wealth of knowledge and I am sure fun to be around based on how you tell your stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                        Started reading this today and stopped reading my book Wild Men, Wild Alaska because of Gar Guys stories. I made it to page 21 or so but will work on it tomorrow some more. I have been tired of whitetail hunting in Texas and had become enamored with Western hunting. After reading these stories, that has changed. Gar Guy you sir, are a stud. Please keep the stories coming. I think I read somewhere on the pages that you guide. While I dont traditionally use a guide especially hunting whitetails you are the one guy that actually changes that thinking. You are a wealth of knowledge and I am sure fun to be around based on how you tell your stories.
                        Im glad you enjoyed it. Ill sit down and write up a few from this year in a couple weeks.

Comment

Im glad you enjoyed it. Ill sit down and write up a few from this year in a couple weeks.

Bout dang time [emoji12]

Comment

I could sit and listen to your stories all day. You can put us right there with you in each one. Thank you.

Comment

I feel like this thread is due an update ahem ahem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
                                I feel like this thread is due an update ahem ahem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I second that notion

Comment

Working...
                                X