Colorado Elk 2018 Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Elk 2018 Recap

Well we got skunked again. But was much better than last yr.

Last yrs hunt recap:

We had a group of 5 this time. Hunting CO unit 81 near Chama, NM. We took 4 wheelers as well, last yr me and my buddy backpacked the whole time.

81 was a unit with far less steep terrain than 551 that we hunted last yr.

We got there friday (9/14) afternoon and loaded up the bikes to head in. Took about 2 hrs to get to the camping spot we decided on. Me and my buddy took off after setting up camp and started scouting high, while the other 3 went the other way and mostly scouted low.

Most of the other hunters we had talked to said they heard bugling a few days before, for about 3 days, and had been quiet since.

We climbed, and climbed and climbed for 3 days, scouting and didnt see much fresh sign at all. Most of what we saw was at least a few days old. Dry and crumbly. Tracks were hard to decipher as it was very dry and we had no rain until the day we left.

Found a few rub lines, but 2 of the 3 had flagging tape near them which made me think that bull had been harvested before we got there.

The first 3 days, someone in our group had seen elk everyday. Nothing crazy, we'd bump a small herd and never see them again while moving slowly. Only 2 legal bulls were sighted, and from a distance. We could never get on them.

Day 4 we decided to try still hunting various areas.

My buddy and I set up on a few wallows that were within a few hundred yards of each other. I never saw anything. My buddy walked up on a nice mule deer on the first day that we sat the wallows. But no one had a mule deer tag...

2 days before we planned on leaving, I was walking to my spot one morning, right at shooting light, and walked up on a group of 3. The only elk I could make out was a mature cow, with the other 2 in front of her behind some aspens. I had an arrow nocked, and ranged at 100 yds. Too far. I decided to try to stalk them as they hadnt seen me and I had good wind, but I was in a deadfall drainage and couldnt take a step without breaking branches so I decided to let them leave and still hunt that spot morning and evening.

I did this for 2 days and never saw anything. I did have a black bear mosey around within 20 yds of me in this spot for about 15 minutes, which was cool.

We ended up leaving thursday. We flat out burnt ourselves out covering as much ground as possible the first 4 days and I was no longer excited about the prospect of hauling meat out of those mountains, which im not proud to admit.

We never heard a single bugle. Never heard a bugle last yr either. Ive learned that you can set yourself up for disappointment watching the various internet hunting personalities. Every video they post they are in bugling elk giving the impression that this is what its like.

All in all, it was a blast, we base camped and slept and ate good. We worked hard. We had 4 wheelers allowing us to move areas with ease. We saw elk every day, very few bulls, but it was an improvement over last yr where we didnt see any.

One of our guys from work was in the same area, and his son got a good satellite bull with the help from a local they knew. and they said that bulls were bugling all night where they were, which was in the river valley, about 1200 ft lower than we were, and 4 miles away.

Ill be back next yr.

We were in the same unit. Camped in Trujillo meadows and hunted all over. We did 10 days and close to 40 miles on boots. 4 of us hunting. Seen and shot at 1 elk. That was it. We did see some elk driving around. I think we just were too high! Everything seen was lower.

Comment

You showed up about the time we left....

Comment

Thanks for telling your story. I have been dreaming of doing a diy archery Colorado elk hunt. And never really knew where to start till reading some of the threads on this great site. I have talked my hunting buddy into it for next year so we will start planning after season.

Comment

There is so much to figure out without ever setting boots on the ground. “ unit to choose, elevation to hunt, best terrain to hunt, base camping area, best dates to pick, ability of mobility such as roads within the unit”. These are still things that worry me, but It will be something I have to overcome after much more research. It can become a bit overwelming for a newbie like me pertaining to Colorado and elk hunting in general. I have never hunted outside of Texas, so I’m ready to start fulfilling some bucket list items in life and in hunting.

Comment

Give me a PM and we will exchange numbers if you want. I will answer what I can. I dont know much about killing elk but I have learned alot about scouting, camping, packing, etc. I.E. all the things that can make or break you, mentally.

Comment

It got good Friday, little rain Thursday helped with the dry forest floor and the temps dropped Friday morning and they started to bugle. I was up high at 11,500.

Comment

I read your 2017 thread, and I did the same. Ashamed but more educated now.

This year, seems like everyone was seeing elk and you got within 100 yards; that had to be a great feeling. Good luck next year.

I'll be on a rifle cow hunt that we drew this year; head out Nov 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                X