No announcement yet.

Public Hunting Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me for giving advice like a story ,but thats how I roll.

Comment

I have the luxury of being able to hunt the public land during the week when it's not so crowded.(or anyone else is out there at all!). It actually lends itself to thinking...."mmm, all this land is just for me!"....and it is!
      Don't forget to utilize arial maps and topography maps to locate funnels, saddles, benches, etc. These maps have helped me immensely in just being able to SEE DEER, much less arrowing one!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
        I have the luxury of being able to hunt the public land during the week when it's not so crowded.(or anyone else is out there at all!). It actually lends itself to thinking...."mmm, all this land is just for me!"....and it is!
        Don't forget to utilize arial maps and topography maps to locate funnels, saddles, benches, etc. These maps have helped me immensely in just being able to SEE DEER, much less arrowing one!
        Where is the best place to get the arial & topography maps? Also I know what funnels are, but what are sassles & benches? sorry for all the question, but I am used to hunting land I know like the back of my hand.

Comment

maps.google.com has the most recent aerial photos, terraserver has some but they are black and white and date back to 1995, as well as USGS topo maps.

Comment

Hey DFWarcher I saw where you had posted 2 pics of deer you took at caddo grasslands. I think you said you took those out of Ladonia unit. The reason I'm asking is my mom and stepdad have had some property 8 miles from there and moved out there about 5 years ago. I went ahead and bought the APH this year to do some hunting out there when we go visit. I have done very little scouting but what I have seen leads me to think there are plenty of hogs. I have seen zero deer sign out there and was wondering if you have seen very many. I have never seen any deer on my mothers place which is 2.5 miles as the crow flys from the north units there. So whats your opinion Yea or ney on the deer there, because its only 25 minutes to bois darc, which I know has a deer population. Thanks in advance for any info.

Comment

A saddle is sort of like a little valley between two hills or ridges but with a nice gentle slope. Deer will walk up a saddle instead of walking straight across a hill. Just like humans, they will take the path of least resistance!
              A bench is like a ledge on a hillside. It will downslope and then you'll have a flat spot, and then it will downslope again. Deer love to bed down on these benches and use them as parallel walkways to travel instead of going up and down on the hill.
              You can use Google maps, topo.com, yahoo maps---there's all kinds of free services you can use plus subscription services.
              Now if you don't like Caddo WMA there's Pat Mayse WMA just about 20 minutes away from there towards Paris. It's some really big woods and lots of deer and hogs there too.
              If you don't like PM WMA, look up the Army Corp of Engineers web page, Tulsa Division and find the land they operate that borders the Red River up there.........there's THOUSANDS of acres up there with some really really big deer!

Comment

I have seen zero deer sign
                because...
                I have done very little scouting
                it takes work, lots of work, follow pats tips and if your brave enough stick out a trail cam it will let you know what is in the area because they will move at night. Another good tip hunt where the other hunters don't think there are any deer.

Comment

Obey the "Golden Rule," and invest in a game cart. Also, stay with it - you will no doubt get discouraged because of "encounters" with other hunters, theft, and long walks in/out. It is better than working and only cost you fitti bucks!

Comment

Topo Maps

I purchased Topo Maps of the lands I scout and hunt from the Mapsco store. I think they were like $7.50 each and show a 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 mile section of land. I pull my aerial maps from the internet using googleearth and the M D Cox site. Maps give you an idea of what you can do and look for before you even get to the land. Saves a lot of shoe leather and needless wondering around... after you learn to use them effectively. It probably took me 3 years before I really understood what the maps were telling me...Barn

Comment

Working...
                    X