Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas
Default Treestand Accident

Did a quick search on here from the phone and didnt see it posted yet, but,
Let this be a reminder to always be tied into your tree from the moment you leave the ground.
Terry Drury fell 17 feet when his tree step shifted. He broke ribs, a vertebrae, his ankle, and bruised a lung.
Hes lucky to still be alive. Stay safe folks and make it back home to your family.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bow...ppen-best/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

He's lucky it wasn't worse. Stay safe out there!
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real, Kerr, Colorado, Schleicher

Happened to me.....lucky to be here.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

ALWAYS tie off!!! Glad he wasn't hurt worse..
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Admitting that at 40 Ive only been wearing a harness for the last 2 seasons. However, Im not in a tree stand without one now
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Been there, not fun. Luckily my only injuries were a busted up forehead and a sore back for a couple months. Knocked me out a while and thought I was paralyzed when I came too. I will never be caught in a tree without a harness again.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #8
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Unexpectedly lost my grandfather 5 years ago at a very healthy 71 years of age by him falling out of a 12í ladder stand. Basically lost a grandmother too since she can not recover from his death.

We all rely on harnesses now when getting elevated in a tree. Unfortunately, we all learned our lesson the hard way.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Last two seasons and I never wore one. Till it shifted on me and scared the crap out of me. Now, never climb one without a harness.
Efren is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #10
Harry
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Gonna have to start wearing in had a brother tell me he would stop talking to me if I didn't wear 1, the choice was easy love him too much to not wear one!!!!!!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #11
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

He knows better than that.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #12
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.

Ask your family if they are willing to accept the consequences. Smh

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #13
SunsUpGunsUp
Eight Point

Quote:
For your family/kids sake I sure hope you don't fall. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Kinda like saying you never practice firearm safety but you're willing to accept the consequences for not.
SunsUpGunsUp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #14
jwedel
Four Point

Hunt In: Western OK

Quote:

Never buckle my seat belt, but willing to accept the consequences of a drunk driver hitting me... I'm pretty careful about holding on to the wheel really tight

jwedel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #15
Jimbo47
Six Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

It doesn't even have to be a tall stand either.
My Dad was in his 70's, and almost died after hanging upside down for several hours when his foot slipped between the rungs of an eight foot ladder going up into his box blind. With no strength to pull himself up with his leg caught, he hung there for what must have seemed like an eternity.
He went for an afternoon hunt, and somehow lost his footing climbing into the stand, and when he didn't return after dark, he was finally found by the neighbor who went looking for him.
By the Grace of God, he didn't suffer any serious injury.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #16
amcalister04
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis, hardeman, lampasas

Fell 21 feet 2 years ago and caught my left butt cheek on the side of a ladder stick on the way down. Landed on my feet by God's grace. 11 stitches inside and 12 outside and I walked to the truck. I got very lucky. I took it one step further though. I sold all my tree stands and only hunt out of pop ups or ladder stands and wear a harness when I am in those.
amcalister04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #17
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

I canít imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once youíre up in the stand is obviously not the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #18
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Just bought me a gorilla harness vest, at 61, hunting alone, trying to reduce the odds.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #19
manwitaplan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
I canít imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once youíre up in the stand is obviously not the answer.

Those safety lines make it easy to climb up and down. I am not sure how many sets you have but you can make a bunch of them instead of buying. My friend has them at all set ups.

The problem with tying to the step is what if the step slips or lets go? The main issue i have seen is the straps of the ladder or stand getting dry rot and finding out the hard way.
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #20
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Those safety lines make it easy to climb up and down. I am not sure how many sets you have but you can make a bunch of them instead of buying. My friend has them at all set ups.

The problem with tying to the step is what if the step slips or lets go? The main issue i have seen is the straps of the ladder or stand getting dry rot and finding out the hard way.
Pretty hard to fall outa climber.
Just take a extension cord, waterhose or welding lead up with you them sobs will hang up on something before you hit the ground

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 AM   #21
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Been there myself. I was taking down a ladder stand and somehow since it had been put up the stand had twisted some. When I was unstrapping the buckle to the strap around the tree it sprung back to position faster than I had a chance to react. I fell 15 feet landed on a rock on my hip. Lucky for me I was on the edge of a shelf and rolled down hill after the impact. I was banged up pretty good but never went to the doctor. Should have. After that I have a real fondness from hunting from the ground. Hope he heals up and fully recovers it could have been a lot worse.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 AM   #22
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Wow!

DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #23
seminole1990
Ten Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Unexpectedly lost my grandfather 5 years ago at a very healthy 71 years of age by him falling out of a 12í ladder stand. Basically lost a grandmother too since she can not recover from his death.

We all rely on harnesses now when getting elevated in a tree. Unfortunately, we all learned our lesson the hard way.
Man, I hate to hear this abut your Grandfather and Grandmother. I can't imagine...

Best to team Drury
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #24
seminole1990
Ten Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands

I "trusted" a branch when I had to "unhitch/rehitch" under a limb that was too big to cut-- ironically was coming to down to get the 30ft lifeline that I should've brought up originally. Anyway, I'm just abut to re-clasp the carabiner on the webbing loop and snap goes the limb! Out of my daze moments later after smacking my face against the tree, I realize the greater pain is the LW pointed step sticking into my side/right short rib. I had slack in the lineman's belt so I dropped a foot and then all 200 of me went full into one of those things. Always wondered about that before--those things look dangerous. I'm thinking... just pull away and stick your hand into the wound...as providence would have it did not penetrate the double layer of clothes I had on--maybe some excess fat helped too. I still have a "dent" in the skin after 5 years. Literally looks like a small chunk of me is in my stomach somewhere. So then I wondered how did I not fall 16 ft and d-I-e? I look down and see that the carabiner clearly did not miss the loop, and it did not make it around the loop, but literally clasped onto the 1/2" of loop webbing itself and held! That, friends, was a miracle. Abrasions, bruised ribs, aggravated herniated disc. All better now. Still have that little rotten branch in my garage as a reminder. Branches are like farts...never trust them!
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #25
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

Quote:

This. I have had a lot more close calls climbing up or down than i ever have had while sitting.

Does everyone use a 25'-50' yoyo (slang for fall protection that engages if you unwind too fast) to climb up and down??
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #26
Ksbowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE Kansas / deep east tx

Made the investment 2 seasons ago. You can buy a 3 pack of safety lines for $85 on Amazon. An additional $30 per stand is pretty insignificant. It's pretty dumb to not have these on every time you leave the ground on any kind of elevated stand.
Ksbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #27
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Quote:
With all due respect, is it laziness, stubbornness, selfishness or ignorance? Which is it? I'm honestly curious. I could understand at a young age where we all didn't know better but I cant wrap my head around the fact that a grown man would take a chance in leaving their family with that burden. I personally just like moving around up there care free and knowing im locked in.
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #28
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

good friend i work with here had a fall last year. the loc on he was in was prolly 15yrs old, the cables to the platform broke, and then his harness snapped on the way down. hes a real big dude, 6,4' 280. he said the harness did slow him some, still broke 3 ribs and his shoulder.

just got a 150$ health incentive gift card to amazon...................guess what im looking up now!
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #29
Christianhuff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Oklahoma, Collin County
Default Rolled those dice

I rolled the dice for years hunting 25-30' up with no harness. Now that I have kids, I have a line on every one of my stands. Between Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas that's 8-10 different sets and $250 well spent. Spend the money guys, it's filling the feeder one time and your life on the line.
Christianhuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #30
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Sorry to hear about Drury and others that have taken a fall. I stay grounded. Years ago I use to get in tri pods, no more.

I know I am missing seeing more animals, scent control etc. I just like the earth beneath me. Just not worth the risk for me.
CrookedArrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #31
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Fell about 13' taking down a 15' ladder stand. Fractured L4, bruised heels (think black feet) and almost landed on a 4wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #32
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:

What if you ended up paralyzed?
Your family will be placed with huge burden.
That ok with you too?

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #33
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
While we will both catch crap over this. I agree with you. At 52 years of age the only time a harness has ever been worn was when a camera was involved. Everyone has their opinions and I do not think any less of someone for wearing one. They are just not my thing.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #34
DRT
Pope & Young

Just don't fall. Replace your straps regular and pay attention to what you're doing. I stand a better chance of falling of the ladder cleaning gutters than out of my ladder stand.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #35
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Glad you are okay, falls are not a good thing even for the healthy youngsters. Here's the story from 2010 when Eassttexasbowbender fell from his platform in Votaw. He spent 17 days in the hospital with broke ribs, several fractures to his spine and a shoulder fracture.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=nephew

Hope you super heroes think it over on using the fall protection.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #36
Skinny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just don't fall. Replace your straps regular and pay attention to what you're doing. I stand a better chance of falling of the ladder cleaning gutters than out of my ladder stand.

Second dumbest thing youíve posted. If you think for one second that falls are intentional or planned, you are crazy. Just like car accidents...they happen when you least expect it. Iím betting you wear your seatbelt while driving? Same thing here. If youíd like to stop acting like youíre invincible, that would be best for the rest of the folks considering wearing a harness. Not sure if you have kids or not, but I hope you donít.

Skinny
Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #37
DRT
Pope & Young

Skinny I'm sorry you're afraid of falling but I'm not. I've tried the harnesses and it's not my thing. Not worth the struggle to me but for one exception. Climbing stands. I don't use one often but when I do I use a harness.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #38
SunsUpGunsUp
Eight Point

Quote:

No one listen to this guy. Man I'm glad you're not my dad. Or my brother. People on here have posted stories about falling out of a ladder stand (one of them died) and you're basically advertising to other people not to use a harness. Young people read this stuff and one of them might actually believe you're right. If you don't wanna wear one that's your problem, but don't get on here and let anyone mistake that for advice.
SunsUpGunsUp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #39
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

Really hate to read about any hunter who gets hurt or dies from a tree stand fall. It is preventable accident. My good buddy who normally wears one took a fall last year and he is still dealing with the leg injury. Please wear one so we do not have to read about you on TBH or in the news.
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #40
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Skinny I'm sorry you're afraid of falling but I'm not. I've tried the harnesses and it's not my thing. Not worth the struggle to me but for one exception. Climbing stands. I don't use one often but when I do I use a harness.

Listen man, it's not about being afraid of falling. Falling isn't the problem. It's the stopping that kills you. I've been in steel erection most of my life. I used to never wear fall protection.....AT ALL. I've done some really stupid **** will doing steel erection, and my thought was the same. Just don't fall. I've slipped, lost my balance, tripped and everything in between, and was always able to catch myself. I was a monkey on the steel. There comes a time in your life that you realize that you can no longer catch yourself if something were to happen. Once you see a fellow workers head popped on a concrete slab, reality sets in very quick. NO ONE is invincible! I know I used to think I was, but gravity has shown me otherwise. I can only hope that you get over yourself pretty quick before the inevitable happens to you.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #41
Skinny
Pope & Young

Quote:

Yes I am afraid of falling! If I was to fall out of a tree stand without a harness, get in a car wreck without a seatbelt, die from H2S poisoning for not following safety measures at work, etc, etc, etc...there would be a lot of people suffering from my negligence...not just me.

Itís simple really. Protect yourself at all times.

I bet you are one of those guys that has an LTC and leaves your weapon in the console of your truck 24/7. Smh

Skinny
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #42
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:

As mentioned 3 packs on Amazon. Our lock ons have 30' ropes. Ladders have the free straps around the tree

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #43
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
No one listen to this guy. Man I'm glad you're not my dad. Or my brother. People on here have posted stories about falling out of a ladder stand (one of them died) and you're basically advertising to other people not to use a harness. Young people read this stuff and one of them might actually believe you're right. If you don't wanna wear one that's your problem, but don't get on here and let anyone mistake that for advice.
So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #44
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Yes I am afraid of falling! If I was to fall out of a tree stand without a harness, get in a car wreck without a seatbelt, die from H2S poisoning for not following safety measures at work, etc, etc, etc...there would be a lot of people suffering from my negligence...not just me.

Itís simple really. Protect yourself at all times.

I bet you are one of those guys that has an LTC and leaves your weapon in the console of your truck 24/7. Smh

Skinny
You keep shaking your head like some school girl on Facebook.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #45
Skinny
Pope & Young

Default Treestand Accident

Quote:
You keep shaking your head like some school girl on Facebook.

Ok it is now clear you are here to troll and nothing more. Get over yourself.

Skinny

Last edited by Skinny; 12-07-2017 at 09:02 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #46
DRT
Pope & Young

And I wear my seat belt because of other drivers. Not because of my driving.

Use a harness if it works for you. It doesn't for me.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #47
DRT
Pope & Young

No skinny you are the one who started the insults. If anyone is the troll it's you. I just stated don't use one and the people who think they know better than anyone else, including you, started quoting me.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #48
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Lost a dear friend several years ago. Spraying wasps out of a box blind (10 feet up in the air). He stumbled back, fell and landed on a T-post. He died due to blood loss from being in a remote location and not receiving medical aid quick enough.

I was also that guy who said I didn't need one when they first became the norm, years ago.

Until one day, I was hunting in Wisconsin and walked into a set I had never hunted, well before day light. It had snowed overnight, when I found the tree, I realized the stand was about 25-28 feet up and the screw in steps were covered in ice.

I made it up into the stand, got my bow hung and waited for daylight. As the light hit, I realized the stand was facing downhill, and It literally felt like I was about 50 feet in the air. Had a world record deer come by, I dont think I could have let go of the tree long enough to even think about taking a shot. Scared the crap out of me. Never been up in a tree without one since.

Lost of guys get hurt when hanging sets too. Same applies when taking one down or putting one up.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #49
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

I fought tie off regulations as hard as anyone. To me, they were more dangerous than not being tied off, which in some cases, is true. The deal is, if you fall, at least you won't hit the ground. Obviously no one is going to change your mind. I'll just say what everyone here knows........you are a very ignorant and selfish man. Do the youngsters a favor and quit posting on this subject. Your selfishness and ignorance could get someone killed.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #50
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top