Calling Sika deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Sika deer

Has anyone done this successfully ? We have a few running around our ranch and from my understanding they start rutting in Oct. I hunt in Leakey TX. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

interested as well...

Comment

Rut is during white tail bow season. Man I saw a monster 2 years ago while hunting white tail, dude was dirty and didn’t care, walked like 10 ft in front of me. Didn’t take a shot since we weren’t taking any that year due to trying to bump up the numbers. Wish I would’ve taken a shot and brought in a young one lol

Comment

Ok. Well.. one hell of a weekend !! Long story, so I’ll try to keep it short. Friday around 1:30, I wanted to make a trip and pulls some cards. Cruising the 4 wheeler all the way to the bottom. Pulled some cards and was heading back to camp and get a game plan to hunt that evening. Well, 4 wheeler broke down, had to walk about 2 miles up some major canyons. I hunt in Leakey Texas. That wore me out !!Finally Get back, chill out with a few cold ones. My buddy got there, he wanted to sit with me that evening. He wanted to sit in my bow blind, I told him Wind isn’t right for that stand. I said, let’s just go to yours and see if we can just bust some pigs with our rifles. This where it gets good. I have a Sika mouth call, we have a few different pics of Sika on camera. I wanted to try calling, so I did. Did 4 Meew calls, spaces between each other. We were just sitting there and enjoying the weather BSn and I look to my left, I see a Sika coming down the ridge. I said, you got to be kidding me ? Told my Buddy, Sika coming. I got the .308 up immediately, look at him with the Binos, I said that’s that Japanese Sika we have on camera. He said sure is. He was waslking straigh to us, looking for that call!!. I did the Ol cherp to make him stop, he looked up put the thumping on him. We were fired up !! Nice 4 point Japanese Toad !We chilled for about 30 min, drank a few cold ones. I look over to my buddy. I’m going to call I told my buddy get that gum up it’s a Toad ! again. Still early.. did the same exact call again , I’m not joking . Bout 15 min later, here come down a cross breed Sika down the same trial!! Got almost in the same spot head down bird dogging looking for my call..He stops so we put that .308 back in action. Thumped him.. I could not believe what I just did.. I knew they would be rutting by reading, but never thought in my mind I could of done that.. so both fall 25’ from each other, but down a deep creek bed. I knew our work was cut out for us. Got them both loaded up, heading back.. I hear a load metal clank.. I look back, tire was flat.. actually bent the rim.. had to walk another mile up hill to get service. Called the land owner and he picked us up.. the next mornjng, go to Kerrville get a new rim and go all the way back to fix the buggy. While I was in the middle of that, we hear these Meeewwss , look up, a bigger Sika that what my buddy was chasing a younger buck off a doe. He was 20 yards from us.. this was probably the 2nd best hunt Iv ever had, to call in 2 different species of Sikas !! Goes to show you just to try and never know what’s going to happen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
          Ok. Well.. one hell of a weekend !! Long story, so I’ll try to keep it short. Friday around 1:30, I wanted to make a trip and pulls some cards. Cruising the 4 wheeler all the way to the bottom. Pulled some cards and was heading back to camp and get a game plan to hunt that evening. Well, 4 wheeler broke down, had to walk about 2 miles up some major canyons. I hunt in Leakey Texas. That wore me out !!Finally Get back, chill out with a few cold ones. My buddy got there, he wanted to sit with me that evening. He wanted to sit in my bow blind, I told him Wind isn’t right for that stand. I said, let’s just go to yours and see if we can just bust some pigs with our rifles. This where it gets good. I have a Sika mouth call, we have a few different pics of Sika on camera. I wanted to try calling, so I did. Did 4 Meew calls, spaces between each other. We were just sitting there and enjoying the weather BSn and I look to my left, I see a Sika coming down the ridge. I said, you got to be kidding me ? Told my Buddy, Sika coming. I got the .308 up immediately, look at him with the Binos, I said that’s that Japanese Sika we have on camera. He said sure is. He was waslking straigh to us, looking for that call!!. I did the Ol cherp to make him stop, he looked up put the thumping on him. We were fired up !! Nice 4 point Japanese Toad !We chilled for about 30 min, drank a few cold ones. I look over to my buddy. I’m going to call I told my buddy get that gum up it’s a Toad ! again. Still early.. did the same exact call again , I’m not joking . Bout 15 min later, here come down a cross breed Sika down the same trial!! Got almost in the same spot head down bird dogging looking for my call..He stops so we put that .308 back in action. Thumped him.. I could not believe what I just did.. I knew they would be rutting by reading, but never thought in my mind I could of done that.. so both fall 25’ from each other, but down a deep creek bed. I knew our work was cut out for us. Got them both loaded up, heading back.. I hear a load metal clank.. I look back, tire was flat.. actually bent the rim.. had to walk another mile up hill to get service. Called the land owner and he picked us up.. the next mornjng, go to Kerrville get a new rim and go all the way back to fix the buggy. While I was in the middle of that, we hear these Meeewwss , look up, a bigger Sika that what my buddy was chasing a younger buck off a doe. He was 20 yards from us.. this was probably the 2nd best hunt Iv ever had, to call in 2 different species of Sikas !! Goes to show you just to try and never know what’s going to happen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post

Comment

Sorry about the double pics. Congrats again Chris! Happy for ya bud.

Comment

Nice congrats to both you and your buddy, good representative trophies of each Japanese and dybowski sikas

Comment

The picture of the guy in the black shirt, that’s from a hunt a month ago. Wanted to clear that up. The pics of us In the camo shirts is from this weekend.

Comment

Thank you Mike for the help !!

Comment

That's awesome. I heard them bugling the last two weekends at our lease outside of Junction.

What call were you using? Any idea how long the rut lasts?

Comment

Congrats again! That's pretty **** impressive! Interested in what call you were using as well. Reel Game Calls is the only one I have seen that is advertised as a Sika call.

Comment

Sika call

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                          Congrats again! That's pretty **** impressive! Interested in what call you were using as well. Reel Game Calls is the only one I have seen that is advertised as a Sika call.
                          Patton, that’s the exact call I used.

Comment

Sika

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                            That's awesome. I heard them bugling the last two weekends at our lease outside of Junction.

What call were you using? Any idea how long the rut lasts?
                            I am not sure how long it lasts to be honest. I know they are hot and Harvey. I even read that they are real aggressive animals, rattling might even work as well. This is only my 2nd year on this ranch and have never hunted them. I was curious if the call would work, and it did.

Comment

Working...
                            X