Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the PURPOSE of The Church

Woke up this morning pondering what is the purpose of "The Church."

So what say ye? Bonus points if you apply scripture that backs up your thoughts. (No prizes will be awarded, just kudos for rightly using scripture as the foundation of your beliefs)

Has the purpose of Church changed today or over the course of time (follow up/additional question)

GO!

FTR I don't have the answer here, just searching for insight, wisdom.

The genesis of this question was, if the church serves a purpose in the Kingdom of God, why then is it dwindling to nothing? The only answer I could come up with is, churches today are satisfying their own purpose rather than God's. But maybe I'm wrong.

In for the answer.

I was raised Catholic but have no interest in attending. I am not even sure about what my reason is.

Comment

My church is the great outdoors. Don't get no holier than that.

Comment

To bring people and communities together, help with healing and death and deter wrongdoing. That is all that matters to me.

When I asked "What happens to people who through no fault of their own were never exposed to christianity due to location/region or their general upbringing.. but have lived a great and giving life"? and the answer was "they go to hell." that when I start to stray off..

Comment

You know when your building a structure..... its parts are weak in the individual but when you begin to construct the building each part strengthens another and its the confluence of all the parts coming together that make it exponentially stronger. Structural integrity...

Comment

There are many images of the church in the Bible, but we will mention just three: the church as the Body of Christ, the People of God and the Bride of Christ. Christ is the head of the church (Ephesians 1:10; 4:15) and Christians are the body. "People of God" is another image of the church. God says of the church, "I will be their God, and they will be my people" (2 Corinthians 6:16; Hebrews 8:10 NIV). The church is also referred to as the Bride of Christ (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:32; Revelation 19:7; 21:9), suggestive of a special and sacred family relationship between Christ and the church.

When most people hear the word church they probably think of a building. But biblically speaking, a church is much more than a building. In fact, some would say that the church is not a building at all, but is all about the people. In this article, we will explore what is the Church?

Comment

I believe the purpose of "the church" is to know God and make Him known.

Why is the church failing? Because, imo, way too many people have no interest in either knowing God, or making Him known. I can't cite the scripture off the top of my head, but we are called to worship together, corporately.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                You know when your building a structure..... its parts are weak in the individual but when you begin to construct the building each part strengthens another and its the confluence of all the parts coming together that make it exponentially stronger. Structural integrity...
                Ok, so I think what you are saying to make each of us better/stronger through the collective?

Comment

What is the PURPOSE of The Church

[ATTACH]837166[/ATTACH]

Simply put:
                  Matthew 28:16-29
                  (NASB)
                  The Great Commission
                  16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated.
                  17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful.
                  18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
                  Last edited by Pushbutton2; 01-23-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    To bring people and communities together, help with healing and death and deter wrongdoing. That is all that matters to me.

When I asked "What happens to people who through no fault of their own were never exposed to christianity due to location/region or their general upbringing.. but have lived a great and giving life"? and the answer was "they go to hell." that when I start to stray off..
                    Stay on topic & quit chasing wabbits!

I have an answer for you on that last one, will pm later if I have time

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                      There are many images of the church in the Bible, but we will mention just three: the church as the Body of Christ, the People of God and the Bride of Christ. Christ is the head of the church (Ephesians 1:10; 4:15) and Christians are the body. "People of God" is another image of the church. God says of the church, "I will be their God, and they will be my people" (2 Corinthians 6:16; Hebrews 8:10 NIV). The church is also referred to as the Bride of Christ (2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:32; Revelation 19:7; 21:9), suggestive of a special and sacred family relationship between Christ and the church.

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/fait...-is-the-church
                      I know "what" the church is, but that doesent answer the purpose. Like I know what a henway is, I just don't know what it was purposed for

Comment

I used to believe that the purpose of a church is celebrating God, now I feel it is all about the money. I do not go to church anymore because of it. Too many churches are takers and not givers.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          I know "what" the church is, but that doesent answer the purpose. Like I know what a henway is, I just don't know what it was purposed for
                          LOL! Yeah I re-read your question and realized I totally missed the mark. Swing and a miss!

Read some of the books Paul wrote to the early churches. I have been reading a lot in 1 Corinthians lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Stay on topic & quit chasing wabbits!

I have an answer for you on that last one, will pm later if I have time
                            Can you please post your answer to the response by Man? I would be interested in hearing it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              I believe the purpose of "the church" is to know God and make Him known.

Why is the church failing? Because, imo, way too many people have no interest in either knowing God, or making Him known. I can't cite the scripture off the top of my head, but we are called to worship together, corporately.
                              What makes you think the church is failing?
                              Where two or more, are gathered in his name. There, shall my church be...
                              Kinda like here.....

Comment

Working...
                              X