No announcement yet.

Lake Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We dodged a bullet last night. Thank God for answer prayers that the projected rain west didn't materialize and the Llano didn't have a another Crest in 40ft range. LCRA tried to hold water in Buchanan as long as possible but it was on the verge of going over the spill way. If the Llano Crested again at or a round the same time Buchanan opened the gates the flooding would have been catastrophic. Tomorrow is going to be another nail bitter I am afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post

Not that any lake is a true V, but we get the idea. I would love to see the math that they use to make their calculation on such an irregular container as a lake or river drainage.
      We use LiDar to estimate drainage and watersheds, it's pretty impressive.

Also, when we design ponds. The smaller typical ponds around 2,500+ cubic feet, we hope to get them filled up in a 2-year rain event. The flow from the Llano yesterday would've filled it up in 0.009 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        We dodged a bullet last night. Thank God for answer prayers that the projected rain west didn't materialize and the Llano didn't have a another Crest in 40ft range. LCRA tried to hold water in Buchanan as long as possible but it was on the verge of going over the spill way. If the Llano Crested again at or a round the same time Buchanan opened the gates the flooding would have been catastrophic. Tomorrow is going to be another nail bitter I am afraid.
        I can't imagine Starcke having even more volume of water going over it than yesterday. That would be nuts..And you're right it nearly happened.

I know after the last flood they were worried about wash-out behind Starcke. Wonder what it will look like after this. When you see the big white sign in the middle, right below that is where I would catch bait in my net in the summers.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          The fuller a lake gets the wider the area it fills. Think of it like the letter V. So not only are you talking about a vertical 10 foot, you have to compensate for the larger wider surface area that 10’ covers compared to the previous 10’ and more.
          Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
          Your user name is perfect.
          Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          Ahh hell....
          Originally posted by Smart View Post
          You’d be surprised how many folks think a lake is like pool[emoji23]
          So this is what not bashing or trying to make someone look dumb looks like? ok

We saw who ended up being right. I really didn't take much offense to it since I knew I would be right all along. Just no need to play it off like it happened some other way.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Why don't they want water going over the spillway? Isn't that what spillways are for?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

We saw who ended up being right. I really didn't take much offense to it since I knew I would be right all along. Just no need to play it off like it happened some other way.
              You did a great job biting your tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Why don't they want water going over the spillway? Isn't that what spillways are for?
                Pressure on outdated ****s!

Comment

Once the water makes it to the spillway, there is no longer any control of the flow going down stream.

Comment

More than 188 billion gallons of water has flowed into Lake Travis since Sunday. That is insane!

Comment

I wasn't bashing you at all. I was giving smart a "ahh hell" for his indepth scientific break down of how a lakes fills up..

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        More than 188 billion gallons of water has flowed into Lake Travis since Sunday. That is insane!
                        Holy Moly that's crazy...

Comment

Right about what?

Comment

Lake Travis yesterday at Brooks Hollow about 4'O clock.

This morning the water is where the pic was taken from yesterday.

Not in any of the houses nearby yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I don't now. We were talking about that while we were out there. Maybe the spillway is worse case scenario. I will see if I can find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Booger74 View Post
                                Pressure on outdated ****s!

That makes since and probably the answer. I know last several yrs they have been doing dam repairs on Buch

Comment

Working...
                                X