Camera Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Guys

Okay, here is my situation. I had a Canon Powershot SX50 and I left it on the top of my wife's car and it fell off while driving. I took it back to BestBuy since I had the insurance on it. It was like $429 brand new and I think I got it for $379 maybe if I remember correctly. I am pretty sure my credit is for just over $400.
    They are giving me a credit since it couldn't be fixed. I can either get the new Canon SX50 which has a 50 Optical zoom, attachable external flash (extra), eye viewer, and has the burst option to take 10 continuous shots amongst all the other options. I just thought those were pretty good.
    My question is this. Do you think this is enough camera for someone who just wants to be able to take "quality" pictures of the kids and some good closeups of them? Or should I look into getting a descent DSLR with my credit and some added cash? I saw the Canon Rebel at BB and it seemed like a descent deal. What do y'all think?

If the 50x zoom is very appealing to you then I would stick with the SX50.

Comment

I am excited about the different lens options. I was looking at the Canon Rebel EOS T3. It's $409 at BB and I could probably get into it for nothing out of my pocket.
      But am I biting off more than I can chew with all the lens options out there? Mainly money wise what is a descent variaty of lenses for everyday shooting? Kids playing, close up of faces, close up action shots of them playing from about 60-70 feet away, inside shooting when they are opening gifts with the speed flash external flash?

Comment

One of the most versatile lenses I've used was the Canon 24-105mm f4 w/image stabilization.
        $600 used.

Comment

I had a great Canon DSLR about a year ago. I sold it and went with a Fuji "bridge over" camera with a massive zoom. I thought I liked it at first because it had some great features. I quickly learned nothing can touch a DSLR camera. I sold the new one and went back to a Nikon DSLR which was the brand I first had for DSLR. I like the Nikon over Canon, but the Canon is much more user friendly if you are not familiar with DSLR.

Comment

Getting a SLR is like a disease. You'll be buying more lenses in the future...

Comment

Get the Rebel. The options you have with it, in addition to the image quality, will make you very happy you did.

I've tried to "get by" with a Canon G10 now for a couple years. Believe me, it's a pro-level point and shoot, but I still was never as happy with it as I was even my 20D SLR with quality lenses.

Comment

I just bought the Canon T3 about 3 weeks ago and love it. $409 is a great price, I paid $449 from BB. They also had a great special on lens. You can check out some of the outdoor pics I took with the T3 on the thread "More pics from the newbie photographer" on here.
                Last edited by jrwest66; 10-14-2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X