Treestand for trad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treestand for trad.

Im having some trouble with my summit viper climber it has a gun/shooting rail but my bow is hitting it when I draw blah. I was just wondering what other trad guys use. And I hunt a lot of public land and I really dont like lock ons. Anyway thanks guys.

God bless.

I hate mine also. I'm about ready to sell it. Best I have found is rivers edge jumbo jack

Comment

When I was still climbing trees I use a Lone Wolf Climber. I believe Summit makes a model called the "Open Shot". You will likely do better without the gun rail or sit down climber. You should be able to shoot out of your stand while standing up but don't get caught sitting down.

Comment

Yep, they are not trad friendly at all. caughtandhobble mentioned some good ones. I use tripods, ladder stands, and hang-ons. I know you mentioned that you hunt public, but look into the lone wolf stands with climbing sticks. They have great reviews, especially from traditional hunters. I personally try and keep an eye on them and will hopefully snag one on clearance one of these days.

Comment

Ladder stand.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys I think im going sell the viper. DRT i wish I could use a ladder stand that would be sweet. I did find this and I use to own one and i might get another. The tree lounge with bow adapter? There a little heavy But I heard there great for trad.

Comment

Check out Millenium. They are light weight and couple one with 3 climbing sticks, you can get up 12-14' quickly and quietly. Millenium stands are very comfortable too. Be sure to wear your safety vest.

Comment

Get one of the open Sumit stands to go along with your current viper so have a good climber for both gun and bow. They make several that have no shooting rail. It would be nice if you could just buy a new seat piece or if they would make one with a removable shooting rail for bowhunting

Comment

One of the reasons I bought my Lone Wolf back in 2009 was no front rail. In 2006 I was in South Dakota and blew a shot on a huge whitetail because the lower limb of my longbow hit the front rail of the stand. It was my fault but I vowed after that to never own a stand with a front rail again for bowhunting LOL. I found out later that deer was killed in rifle season and scored in the 160's.

Comment

Stickbowcoop that's crazy man. You guys think 12 or 15 feet is good enough? I kinda hate heights.... but I do it anyway .and yes i ware a safety harness. Wish i could waer 3! Lol

Comment

Btw you guys are the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost View Post
                        Stickbowcoop that's crazy man. You guys think 12 or 15 feet is good enough? I kinda hate heights.... but I do it anyway .and yes i ware a safety harness. Wish i could waer 3! Lol
                        I asked around on the height question a while back. I prefer to hunt the ground, but it was suggested I get up in a tree. I have sat in some stands that were 15' off the ground (standard ladder stand height) and the thing I didn't like about it was that when trying to make 10 yard shots, the angle is so darn steep and your limb starts getting in the way again if you like to sit and shoot.

So I asked some of the guys on here that really know their stuff and kill stuff regularly. I surmised that 10' is a good height. It is not too low that you could get busted as regularly... but not too high that the shot at 10-12 yards is too steep to manage. For most of the folks that hunt way higher 15+, they are just trying to not be seen or smelled at all. Go any lower, and you risk being seen (I have hunted and been busted in 7')

I don't think there is a magic number... but I have settled on 10' as the lowest and 15' as the highest I'll go. IF I have the option (sometimes you can't get 10' high.)

Comment

I don't think there is a magic height, I have killed deer when being 8' up tree and 30' up a tree and different heights in between. Fully agree with above the higher you are up a tree the less target zone you have for a double lung shot

If I can find a tree with good cover and background so not sky lined at a height that is where I hunt from.

Comment

anyone have experience with the Summit Open Shot??? I have the same issue with the Viper

Comment

I mainly use a lock-on and climbing sticks . You can use them in just about any tree !!
                              I do have a lone wolf assault climber that is very nice when the right tree presents itself!!

Comment

Working...
                              X