Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does dealing with car dealerships have to be such a pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss having Larance Marshall in Hempstead, I bought 5 different trucks from them over the phone and never had a problem and they even delivered every truck to my house and picked up the trade in
    my dealer cavender is the worst experience I have ever had

Comment

I figure what I want to pay out the door, (price - trade) and give them that sales number. I tell them I don't care what you sell the car for or what you give me in trade, that's what I'm willing to pay. I walk in with my own financing unless there's a manufacturer promotion... You give me my price or I walk out the door..

I've always walked out the door, and they always call back .. "if we give you that price will you sign today?" Walk back in, sign, drive away

Comment

Had a dealer tell me it sounded like I needed to buy less of a truck. I stood up and said sounds more like a need a better dealership. Left and got the deal I wanted at the next dealership down the road. NEVER be afraid of getting up and leaving. Do your homework. Use Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book ect… and know what you are willing to pay. Do as much as you can by phone or email.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
          When I bought my current truck, I knew exactly what color, packages, etc. I wanted. I checked with all the Ram dealers I could and I wanted to buy from Meador because they are literally walking distance from my office.
          Even after specifying what I wanted, they would send me photos and info. on completely different trucks (i.e., I specifically said "I don't want white" - but they sent me multiple photos of white trucks they had).
          I found the truck that met my list of wants at a dealer in Bonham (on line - I never went there). The dealership seemed kind of sketchy, but the deal was good. When I told the folks at Meador to stop sending me info. on trucks I didn't want, they eventually sent me a picture of the right truck I wanted - it was THE photo from the Bonham dealer (the exact truck, same photo taken with snow on the ground and on the Bonham dealer's website).
          But Meador wouldn't sell it to me for the price the Bonham dealer would!!! Again, I was willing to pay a couple hundred more to deal with my neighbor - but they were at least $1k more!
          The Bonham dealer delivered to truck to me (far South Fort Worth). I never had to set foot in their store.
          (That dealer in Bonham still seems a little sketchy to me.)
          Friends used to buy regularly from that Bonham dealership. The way they talked, the deals they got there were hard to beat. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Comment

Went with my dad to the dealership to buy a him a new truck when I was about 15. I watched and listened to him haggle with the guy for about an hour and just when the deal was nearly done, he walked out over a $300 dispute. I thought he was crazy but come to find out it was one of the best lessons he ever taught me.

Comment

If you look at the Carfax report they posted on their site, they have only had the vehicle for about a week. Seems realistic it could have sold today.

I will add that the best deals are made face to face IMO. I get an "internet" price before I go, but then always get a much better deal after some negotiation.

Comment

Funny to read this thread today. Just had my little Duramax Colorado in. I seriously would rather take an arse whoopin then deal with dealerships. The only difference between them and politicians is the S___. they sale.
                I do agree with the OP. Many of the same gimmicks, and why post deal to the public that is "only for GM employees"
                Besides the fact that no one makes a really solid truck anymore, not like I grew up in, it seems you have to try to out con the con knowing in the end your still stuck, and that vehicle isn't worth half of what you spent.

Comment

I went to buy a used truck one day.
                  They said they needed $2k down payment. I told them I have that. How much for the truck.
                  They hem hawed around. I asked again how much for the truck. They didn't answer. I took it for a test drive.
                  Came back from the test drive and they said I was approved.
                  If the date saleman a third time, he said it doesn't matter, the finance guy will go over it with you.
                  We walked into the finance guys office, he started his spiel about whatever. I looked him in the eye and said. I'm only asking you 1 time.
                  How much is the truck?
                  He said it didn't matter as they report to the credit agencies.
                  I got up and walked out the door. They followed me trying to get me to come back inside.
                  I said it didn't matter I'm not buying it.

They called every day for a week telling me they're holding the truck for me.
                  I told them they don't need to hold it for me as I have absolutely no intention of ever doing business with them ever. I'd rather walk than drive a car I bought from them.
                  The last time I added the phone I spoke with some manager and he wanted to know why I wasn't buying the truck. I told him why. I also told him that I had $8,000 cash money in my pocket they day I walked into the store. He was like we could have sold it for that.
                  I replied could have but didn't. Don't call me ever again.
                  I blocked their number and haven't looked back.

Comment

I had a salesman cuss at me one time because he couldn’t do what the dealership said they could do over the phone. He told me.....”thanks for wasting four hours of my f**king day” as I was walking out of his office. I flew him double birds and continued walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                      Heard a statistic on the Jerry Reynolds show that Sewell in Dallas area sells 33% of their autos over the internet/phone then delivers the car. Buyer never sets foot on the property.
                      We bought my wife’s Infiniti QX56 this way and they arrive it down to Liberty Hill from Dallas. Then we bought Infiniti wheels with new tires, 22” rims, and new Michillens from them for 1500.00 installed. We had to do to Dallas for that but we just made a weekend out of it with the kids

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                        Not sure if it has to be a Chevy but I’d suggest tomball ford, bought 3 of my last 4 there, made the deal over the phone. Went and looked at the vehicle and signed the papers after verifying it was what I wanted
                        They are running some good deals right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Just bought one from there last weekend. They had a $15K off sign on their website so we went " So I pointed to about 3 trucks and said "$15K off any one of these. Saleswoman said Yes" So we pick one out, go inside and they had me a list of what "qualifies" towards the $15K as follows:

Texan Season Ticket Holder
                        American Quarter Horse member
                        Farm Bureau insurance
                        Recent college graduate
                        Veteran
                        and the list went on....

So I qualify. I qualify for two of the items. She goes off to the manager and comes back with an offer of about $7K off of MSRP. I told her we were way off and I was leaving. She comes back with $11K off and again NO. She said to write my price down and she would take it back. So I wrote down $15K off MSRP and guess what??? They took it. Could have saved a lot of time just honoring their offers.

But my son is happy with his truck

Comment

Originally posted by jmac24 View Post
                          Just bought one from there last weekend. They had a $15K off sign on their website so we went " So I pointed to about 3 trucks and said "$15K off any one of these. Saleswoman said Yes" So we pick one out, go inside and they had me a list of what "qualifies" towards the $15K as follows:

Texan Season Ticket Holder

American Quarter Horse member

Farm Bureau insurance

Recent college graduate

Veteran

and the list went on....

So I qualify. I qualify for two of the items. She goes off to the manager and comes back with an offer of about $7K off of MSRP. I told her we were way off and I was leaving. She comes back with $11K off and again NO. She said to write my price down and she would take it back. So I wrote down $15K off MSRP and guess what??? They took it. Could have saved a lot of time just honoring their offers.

But my son is happy with his truck

That’s why I don’t even show up until we agree on a price but I’ve always managed to get to the number I’m looking for with tomball.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                            Not sure if it has to be a Chevy but I’d suggest tomball ford, bought 3 of my last 4 there, made the deal over the phone. Went and looked at the vehicle and signed the papers after verifying it was what I wanted
                            They are running some good deals right now.

Ha! Just spent three hours up there last night. Salesman came 2500 off a new f250 Nd then showed me the great short term finance I could get on zero down and $2150 a month. This after I explained that I had a substantial down payment. After more debating he then pulls it up online and says the best I can do is see if my manager will honor the online price which was 7500 off. My fiancé looked at him and said you know dam well they will honor this or they wouldn’t post it. Why didn’t you start there to begin with? Came down to it, his number and my number were 10k apart and I wasn’t willing to budge. I started at 22% off msrp and they wouldn’t even get in the same city much less ballpark. I’ve talked to three dealerships and all three has been a waste of time. I will internet shop when I’m ready.

Comment

Carmax is the way to go

Comment

I haggle on price locally with the local dealers and put them against internet deals. They usually get close enough to consider my time for having to go and get a truck or have one shipped.

Comment

Working...
                                X