First trad hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well

Well hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I am back. On my part I wish I could say I had a few DRT pics. It just did not happen. So here is what did happen.

Did I shoot and more importantly stick a couple of Javis? Yes, yes I did. Spot and stalked senderos all weekend, trad bow in hand.

My first stalk I let another guy bump up with a compound and he took a shot. It was at 30 yards not 20 like he guessed so it went under.

My second stalk was just me. It was perfect with wind in my face. The javis were working the corn walking towards me. When I figured they might come into bow range I stopped.

I went behind some brush and waited for the ambush. It was a 40 minute cat and mouse game. 2 deer spooked them out of the sendero but they came back. One finally game me a 10 yard shot.

I placed it right on the shoulder at the white line hoping to take the shoulders out as I know they will run a ways off. About the time I was at full draw and releasing I was winded.

They all looked up at me including the one I had dialed in and when I released he was more of a quartering at me. The arrow flew and struck him right above the shoulder at a downward angle.

Good hit I thought and he went crashing inside the brush. I could hear a bunch of thrashing and I thought just give him some time and he will die. Never found him or the arrow. Broad-head was a Magnus Stinger 125 grain.

2nd stalk. It was round 2 of the same scenario but a different sendero. This one I had broadside at 12 yards. The difference is the small group was alerted and began to scatter. The one I shot at was behind a mesquite. I again placed it in the javis white line at the shoulder. Thwack and another hit.

He spun hard and took off beeline towards me with the arrow in his shoulder. I could tell it was not a complete pass thru but hopeful it would still get the job done.

I found the arrow about 60 yards from the shot. Intact, not broken and looked like about 8-9 inches of penetration. Very little blood and not much of a trail. Never found it. Broad-head was a NAP 150 grain 3 blade. I really think I should have waited for a clear shot not thru the brush on this one.

I called it quits as I had already shot twice, connected twice but couldn't find the javis. Am I disappointed? Yeah. Live and learn and now I know I need to tune my arrows with weight ect.

I will keep trying and it was an experience to say the least. This is still one of the funnest hunts I have ever done. So back to the drawing board and 3rd times a charm.
    Last edited by CrookedArrow; 04-08-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry bud. My first couple of deer were of the same sickening experience. It will come. Keep with it, the guys on here who know their stuff will help you any way they can. Sounds like a good time other than the not finding the Javis.

Comment

I have had the fortunate opportunity to chase Javis 4 of the last 5 years. My first year was with a compound and the remainder with a recurve bow. I've hunted with sizeable groups each time; with at least 6-8 guys total. Excluding this past trip, there were mostly compound shooters.

I'll start off by saying your story is a common one, so don't kick yourself too hard. By all means kick yourself though... I kicked myself... just don't do it so hard that you convince yourself to not do it again.

I have and continue to learn that there is definitely a feel you have to get for the bow and more importantly, the animal you are hunting them with. It sounds like you are piecing together the puzzle on what a good shot looks like, and what it doesn't. Hindsight is always 20/20, but you'll eventually get a feel for when the odds are in your favor that they will present you with a better shot, or they won't... And of course... even if you do hit them... the challenge really begins as they are very capable of running pretty far before dying. To make a long story short, I've learned to not give up when I don't have blood... and follow a strategy that involves following the paths that they likely took and paying attention to the wind. I have recovered 2 of my 4 javis based on smelling them out (no blood on the ground.) 1 of my javis I had to come back the next morning and find because I had shot it before the sky opened up and lightening, etc kept us from being able to track him. Found em the next morning by walking through brush with binos looking for him. This was the first year I found one I hit with not too much effort, but only because she died so close... still no blood trail.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X