String Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Life

Okay, so a couple of years ago, I was given an old Bear recurve. Just to get me going, I had a local shop put a string on it. That year, I shot it a bit - not a lot though. Last year, hardly any. This year, I got some "real" hunting type arrows, and I've been shooting almost every day. I have noticed a lot of wear on the serving at the nock point. Realistically, how long should a string on a recurve last? Should I just go ahead and make it through the rest of season?

I know that I'm going to be told to order a string from Mr Barbee as well, and that is on my to do list. Along those lines, I'm pretty sure that I can measure my string and get an accurate nock point, but what about putting the right amount of twists in it to get the brace height right? I don't want to change mid-season and have something change on my set up that will impact my shooting.

Or should I just order a string from here, and have my local shop do it? I'm really a DIY-er kind of guy though. Not that I don't like spending money (well, I really don't), but I just like to fend for myself.

Thanks,
    skooter

First things first, you don't need a local shop... unless you just want them to re-serve your existing string (been told its not hard, but I haven't tried it yet myself.)

If you get the exact same string made up (material and strands) then honestly, setting up a new string doesn't take much. time to shoot it in (stretch/settle) is what takes the most time. Setting brace height is pretty simple. You just need a ruler and a stringer. Besides, you have to do that anyways with a new string, even if somebody puts it on for you.

And, just hold on to your old string and keep shooting it until you get the new string shooting like the one you've already got. I buy 2 strings so I always have a backup.

Comment

I just replaced two last week one was less than a year the other 25 years (not recommended) replace when needed

Comment

Michael, I'm no longer in the business. Sorry.

Since you like being a DIY feller (me too), then you really should learn to build your own strings, and how to reserve old strings.

As far as string life is concerned - To be quite honest, a well cared for string will last for years, but if you do a lot of shooting, replacing it yearly is a good practice just to be on the safe side.

As far as serving wear is concerned - most non monofilament serving materials will show some slight wear after a bit if shooting, and it's really nothing to be concerned about. If however your serving is showing excessive wear, even after a lot of shooting, then I suggest your nocks are probably to tight.

Rick

Comment

i didnt know you quit making strings. Who will make mine now?

Comment

Skooter, I completely agree with Rick. If you have any DIY in you, then get someone to teach you how. I had an elderly man teach me about a year ago, and now I do all my own. A word of caution, once mine start to look a little ruff around the knock points, I go ahead and tie another. For this reason I always overbuild, (extra strings) my bow string. I let one get a little to worn, and lost a good bow that way. Now I just try to keep them all mostly fresh and use a good bit of wax around the loops.
            As for brace height, take measurements now, write them down, and check it ever so often. I get a little creep from my strings when they are first put on, but if you shoot a good bit, they settle down. Another good tool is a small level. I use it to ensure I know where my knock point is on my string. I like my knock point only slightly higher then level.
            Good Luck and have fun.

Comment

I can make strings if anybody needs them. I make over 300 a year. Deal is. I oss d97 only and I just stock it in red and black.

Comment

Working...
              X