Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2018-2019 Lake Whitney , Lake Aquilla hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one noticing that the wind isn’t what they said it was gonna be or what they say it is? I moved my stand because I didn’t like the wind. It always swirls in the woods where I normally set up so I figured this wind just didn’t work for that one spot. When I got my stuff over here to the new one ( going in the direction that the wind was supposed to be blowing) I check it here and it’s a north west wind not sw. luckily I found a good scrape run that is only 25 yds away to the north west so the wind works kinda. As long as they don’t come from behind me that is. Maybe it’s just this unit but the wind here never seems to blow in the direction they say.

Comment

Watched shady Brady this morning before the hunt n noticed the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No one has seen any wild dogs? While hunting?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beararcher_84 View Post
          No one has seen any wild dogs? While hunting?

You mean coyotes or actual dogs?

Comment

Actual dogs. 3 pits, 2 mut labs...see my above post for a description of my issue

Comment

Lots a neighbors let their dogs run loose. They will pack up and hunt. Lap dogs, beagles, walker hounds, pits and the like, labs, al kinds. I've seen a bunch over the years of all breeds chasing deer. Even had a great dane chase a doe out in front of me one time. I could have shot the doe cause she stopped right in front of me. Dane saw me sitting in the tree and hightailed it back.

I know of another young man I took hog hunting one time. He was chased off into a creek by two wild dogs. Then got chased into the lake by a small boar. That's a campfire story with all the details for sure . There used to be a wild rotwaller in that same area.

It's a really hard situation for ACE to control.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-02-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

These dogs had no vests or collars on. Ive seen people with bird dogs, they have collars, orange vests or the neoprene vest to protect the dogs in cold water retrieving ducks or brush. Hog dogs, collars and gore vest to keep the hogs from poking a hole in the dogs. Seen people walking there dogs, but they again. Have collars, leashes and call the dogs back if they are off lead. No one was calling these dogs, whistling or otherwise

Comment

Lots of neighbors dogs don't have vest or collers or anything else. Some folks just lettem run loose and don't take proper care of their pets. Then some get lost. I knew of some neighbors that had two pits the ran loose. They would go home at supper time. But run deer in the mornings with a bunch of other untagged un collered neighboring dogs. They ain't all wild. Some will come to you if you call them. But most will just run away.

Had one bunch kill a doe. Didn't know it till I was walking back tomy truck that morning. There was a german shepard in the group that would bark ya a follow ya for a quarter mile. I didn't trust that one till I got on past him. He barked everybody that walked down that trail. You could hear him for over a mile that morning. Had seen him several times before and after that running deer with others. He lived across the road and up a hill from the entrance. No coller, no tags, no nothing.
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-02-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Hum ok...just was weird and suspicious. Guess its nothing

Comment

Camping

So has anyone camped at any of the Whitney camp areas in the last week or two? Is every single one closed? I just need a 10’ x 10’ piece of real estate to sleep in a tent, nothin fancy...

Comment

It’s all closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im out here and glad i got my big coat , its cold .

Comment

Get ya one storm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck Storm, them deer arta be moving! Got out here a little later than expected but still got the stand set up 10 minutes before legal light.

Comment

Yep guys they are moving Ive seen 5 but nothing close enough yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X