Question for electrician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
    I think you best get your electrician a 24 pack.... ;-) of you need the extra circuits I would replace the wire from you j-box with one so that you can get 220v at this panel.
    if its not that far replace entire run to the shop. blk and red to the hot lugs and the neutral(white) to the neutral bar and ground the ground bar minus a bod between the ground and neutral bar ( although I do not see a ground bar in this panel. )
    Why would you need a ground bar? All the grounds are snipped off. Sarcasm

Comment

You should turn that off and call out an electrician

Comment

"I am NOT an electrician by an stretch of the imagination"
        I think this is an understatement!
        Next time just ask and I'm sure one of us will be glad to help before you or someone else gets hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
          Why would you need a ground bar? All the grounds are snipped off. Sarcasm
          Bootleg ground

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
            I think you best get your electrician a 24 pack.... ;-) of you need the extra circuits I would replace the wire from you j-box with one so that you can get 220v at this panel.
            if its not that far replace entire run to the shop. blk and red to the hot lugs and the neutral(white) to the neutral bar and ground the ground bar minus a bod between the ground and neutral bar ( although I do not see a ground bar in this panel. )
            That's the plan. Rewired what is there today. Tested all outlets, 2 amber all grounded. Polarity, check.

I was also told that since this is basically a sub panel, it wouldn't need it's own separate ground.

Comment

SLOWLY back away from the Breaker box with your hands above your head..

Comment

You still need a separate ground. It just doesnt get bonded to your neutral. You also have fire hazards with those breakers on 14 awg romex.

Comment

The panel still needs a ground. All the copper wires go to a ground bar similar to how all the white wire go one bar. One copper wire goes from the bar back to the main panel. In the main panel the bar for the white wire and the bars for the copper wires are joined together (bonded). You don't bond a subpanel. Like other have said, the wires going to your loads are too small for the breaker size. Therefore you will let the smoke out of the wires before the breakers trip. This defeats the purpose and leads to a fire.

Comment

Make sure your insurance is up to date and will cover fire. Also, you can seriously screw up anything of electronics right now.

As others have said, I would kill the breaker and back away until you get someone out there that knows what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      Obama thinks thats a clock.
                      Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

As for the wire running from the House (30 amp double pole) do I calculate for each leg separate, or combined... meaning, 12 gauge for 15 amps each or 10 for the combined 30?

Comment

Working...
                        X