Over brined backstrap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over brined backstrap question

And by overbrined, I’m mean it was in the brine, in the fridge in the garage...ice cold...for like a month.

Pulled em out and rinsed em off and they smell fine.
    They look fine.

I was thinking about doing a smoke on em, wrapping em in cheesecloth and letting them hang and air cure in the outside fridge for about 5-7 weeks. Make it into a bresaola.

Yay or nay?

You didn't provide the most essential point on the thread, which is the percentage of brine/salinity as well as sugar added and then also whether it was a wet or dry brine.

If it was a dry brine, then the meat is cured and can be dried out or partially cooked to make some really nice bacon or ham.

If it was a wet brine, you could do a water purge and pull out the salt as well.

Comment

Can never figure out why people go to such trouble trying to cover up the great flavor of backstrap

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Can never figure out why people go to such trouble trying to cover up the great flavor of backstrap
        A lot of people want jerky and/or only burger, so the processors use the backstrap as jerky so they don't need to break down the hindquarters.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          I don't try to cover up the taste of any of it. I get good roasts out of the legs and great stew meat from the neck. Even my ground meat isn't mixed unless I'm making patties or sausage. But i do everything myself and do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
            And by overbrined, I’m mean it was in the brine, in the fridge in the garage...ice cold...for like a month.

Pulled em out and rinsed em off and they smell fine.
            They look fine.

I was thinking about doing a smoke on em, wrapping em in cheesecloth and letting them hang and air cure in the outside fridge for about 5-7 weeks. Make it into a bresaola.

Yay or nay?
            Yay. I dont know what braesola is but "do it now"...meanwhile Im gonna look it up.

Aint no such thing as overbrined...its just well brined. Blanch the salt from the meat if not desired.

Many folk dont like wild game taste. Blanching makes it tolerable. Brining makes it kick ***.

Ive year old cubed mulie packed in enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. The chili was killer fresh. Even MIL said it was best she'd ever had then. Gonna be off the hook when it gets busted out and crock potted.

Comment

Bresaola.... hmmmm
              I say go for it!!!!!
              I have a beef roast a week away from going into it's 8 week hang!!!!! Good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Yay. I dont know what braesola is but "do it now"...meanwhile Im gonna look it up.

Aint no such thing as overbrined...its just well brined. Blanch the salt from the meat if not desired.

Many folk dont like wild game taste. Blanching makes it tolerable. Brining makes it kick ***.

Ive year old cubed mulie packed in enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. The chili was killer fresh. Even MIL said it was best she'd ever had then. Gonna be off the hook when it gets busted out and crock potted.
                I have never had wild game taste on a deer that I have processed myself. I am very particular and keep the meat clean and cold. Guts and skin off as soon as I can. 5-7 days aged.

Comment

It was a wet brine that I did the turkey in.

Comment

Working...
                  X