Kiamichi wilderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiamichi wilderness

Looking to buy some land with an cabin near Moyers, OK in Kiamichi Wilderness area by Pappy Kirk Lake. Any GS has any land in the area? How's the hunting, theft or any problems in the area?

Don't shoot the pigs with a notched ear. They belong to the wood cutters and they will kill ya and make chili.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tough hunting in that area. Lot's of vertical climbing. Had plenty of deer but you had to hunt them.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        Don't shoot the pigs with a notched ear. They belong to the wood cutters and they will kill ya and make chili.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Ok what's the story with the pigs?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
          Tough hunting in that area. Lot's of vertical climbing. Had plenty of deer but you had to hunt them.
          Have you had better luck on ridge tops or down in the creek areas?

Comment

I have never been but have a friend with a cabin up there and another in the process of buying one next door to him right now. They’re not hunters but they have talked about how much fun it is and how great all the people are up there. Pretty redneck area but everyone looks out for each other, they say. Of course, that may just be their neighborhood, I don’t know. I’ll try to get more details on exactly where they are.

Comment

My wife’s family has had 20 acres up there since the early 80’s. Their place is on the NE side and is totally off grid. From the entrance to the KW (from near the Daisy post office) it takes a full 30 minutes to get back to their place. There are plenty of deer up there but the hunting is challenging due to the terrain and it being very thick. The place is ideal for those that love the outdoors and love to ride four wheelers. Can’t speak to theft as they don’t leave anything that someone would want [emoji12]

My son (10) and I went up in late December to scout an adjoining 20 acres to possibly buy and build a cabin. After a few hours of scouting that rugged area we elected to move on. From a safety perspective I didn’t want my family being that far from emergency services. There are probably other parcels closer to civilization and easier to access.

If you are looking for a place to get away and unplug, this probably fits the bill.

A few pics:

If you pull the trigger start a thread and take us along!

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about hospitals or emergency services. Antlers has a small county hospital. I was born there, and I'm still alive 53 years later. Although for advanced medical care you're gonna have to wait for a Life Flight ride to OKC. Remember small town America doesn't usually have first rate medical care close by like larger cities.

Comment

I never had much problem with theft, but some folks do. Lots of ticks, and some big deer, just not the large numbers many are used to seeing. Really nice looking area. We have a place at Clayton and sold a place east of Snow a few years back

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetex View Post
                    Ok what's the story with the pigs?
                    The old dudes we hunted with wouldn't shoot pigs because back in the day you could graze cattle and pigs with your mark. They said the notch in the ear meant they belonged to the "Duncan Boys". The boys will kill ya. LOL. Game warden told us that was back in the early 1900s and all pigs were fair game.

If you go past the turn to KW you will see the wood cutters camp at the gate to the leased land.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetex View Post
                      Have you had better luck on ridge tops or down in the creek areas?
                      Ridges. Wait until you drag one out!!! :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                        Ridges. Wait until you drag one out!!! :-(
                        Why not quarter and pack out?

Comment

I hunt on a lease in that area. It's tough bow hunting where I am and I don't see a lot but it can be rewarding. The ridges seem to produce better than the bottoms. Try to find a good run on the side of the mountains as well. The muzzle loader season seems to be the best hunting.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the info

Comment

Kiamichi wilderness

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              The old dudes we hunted with wouldn't shoot pigs because back in the day you could graze cattle and pigs with your mark. They said the notch in the ear meant they belonged to the "Duncan Boys". The boys will kill ya. LOL. Game warden told us that was back in the early 1900s and all pigs were fair game.

If you go past the turn to KW you will see the wood cutters camp at the gate to the leased land.

There were similar unwritten laws regarding the pigs with the notched ears over around our place near Nashoba. Family names were different but concept was the same.

The old timers were serious about it.
                              Last edited by Booner Sooner; 05-02-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X