Finishing a Portable Building/Cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing a Portable Building/Cabin

Got a 10' x 20' Derkshan side lofted Barn as a Cabin but got to finish out the interior.

Going to us R-13 Batt Insulation and 1/4" plywood for the walls (16" center-to-center studs) .. going to be painted in Wife's choice of Color ... Lol

Question about the ceiling (24" center-to-center studs) .. Got 2 Ideas but want to run them by the Green Screen ..

1. Use 1" rigid foam panel + MSB wood paneling.

or

2. 1/2" OSB with Radiant Barrier but would insulation be needed

Depending on where its going to be Id put some form of roll insulation in the ceiling.

I put R19 in the walls and r21 in the ceiling of mine 12x20. Trimmed the walls with MDF paneling and the ceiling got wainscoting along the edges then corrugated tin in the middle. I dont have any issues keeping it at 70 with a 10k BTU window unit in august.

My floor was built with 3/4 treated then I added a layer of 5/8s OSB. The building sits about 12-14" off the ground in the rear so in the winter the floor can get cool to a bare foot. I dont mind that really, I just get closer to momma We have a 89 dollar electric heater that looks like a fireplace we use and it stays plenty warm when its in the 20s

Comment

Radiant barrier sheathing is intended to be used as roof sheathing under shingles, so putting it on the ceiling under an existing roof probably won't do much good. I work for a company that makes it and knows how it is to be installed.

Comment

I've also got a Derksen in Rocksprings. I had them spray foam before they brought it out (1st pic). if my memory was correct it cost about a thousand bucks to have this done. 2nd pic is after I went to Home Depot where I go the ceiling, walls & floor. I went super cheap (about 50 cents a sq/ft) with the ceiling & walls. The ceiling is stained plywood sheets with some grooves in it. The walls are MDF panels. The floors are vinyl planks that are scratch & water proof.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wish they would have offered the spray foam when I bought mine but Oh Well ... R-13 Batt for the walls and rigid panel for the ceiling..

techzan .. What thickness MDF did you get for the walls or did you put plywood on studs 1st and MDF as a covering

Thanks for the assistance everyone

Going to a Local Habitat for Humanity Store this weekend to see what they got before going to Lowes or Home Depot

Comment

I plan on doing this real soon. Please post when finished.

Comment

Originally posted by techzan View Post
              I've also got a Derksen in Rocksprings. I had them spray foam before they brought it out (1st pic). if my memory was correct it cost about a thousand bucks to have this done. 2nd pic is after I went to Home Depot where I go the ceiling, walls & floor. I went super cheap (about 50 cents a sq/ft) with the ceiling & walls. The ceiling is stained plywood sheets with some grooves in it. The walls are MDF panels. The floors are vinyl planks that are scratch & water proof.
              nice

Comment

I sure will post pics probably be by the end of May ... Before it starts getting TOO Hot.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why rigid panel? Most of that stuff is R-2 or 3 unless you're using something different. You'll lose 3 times as much heat gain thru the ceilings as the walls. Why not stuff batt in the ceiling also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Got some good buys for the walls at a Local construction re-sale store .. Actually saved @ $50

I might go with Batt Insulation on the ceilings depending how it goes on the walls. Doing this in two(2) phases. You're right about R-Value .. I've got a Barn-Style portable building so the ceiling may be a little tricky with Batt Insulation. Panel you can stick in-Place with liquid nails and spray foam..But I'll keep that option Open for now..

Comment

I don't mind losing heat out of the ceiling. It's hot much more than it's cold in Texas.

Comment

Just viewed a Youtube video .... Looks easy with the spring supports. Try them on the wall 1st. I must say Batt Insulation is cheaper per sq foot than panels. Just get the proper width and it looked easy... Mask, Long sleeve shirt and a shower afterwords..

Comment

Working...
                          X