One doe --Two Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One doe --Two Shots

The weekend of the 4th-6th, I made a trip up to a buddy's lease in Oplin for a dove hunt. We did great there, but that's another story. After driving back on Sunday, I got to my apartment around 1pm and find out my roommate, The Cajun, got invited to go hunt on our mutual friend's land in Caldwell County. I nudged him a time or two, and we ended up making a trade; I went and exercised his dog and The Cajun got me invited I didn't need any convincing to hold up my end of the bargain.

We go shoot a few practices arrows before the hunt, and my shots were WAY left. Realized my sight looked funny, and that my leveling bubble was missing. Found it in the case. Don't know what happened, I assume it got bumped around in the truck on opening weekend. I busted up two broadheads pretty good, but still had one perfect one. Got dialed back in and we were off.

I put on my 3D leafy suit and headed out. I settled into a pretty open tripod stand that was sitting on the side of a long pipeline that was running North to South roughly 400 yards long and twenty yards wide. I was facing East towards, with the feeder directly to my left, North.

Dinner bell rang at 6:20, and added to the growing pile of corn under the feeder. I didn't expect to see much but was enjoying myself with no complaints. Except the mosquitoes. At 7:08, three deer start coming directly at me from the East. After a little hesitation, and lots of smelling, two does worked their way. The wind was perfect so long as they stayed at the feeder.

I continued to wait for the third deer to come in, but it never did. This bothered me the entire time, I was nervous that eyes were on me that I couldn't locate.

I let them settle in about 15 yards away, and drew back and picked my spot. I was happy with how steady I was holding despite the incredible shaking the entire 5 minutes before. FIRST SHOT I released and I believe she jumped the string really bad, because it appeared I missed her entirely as she ran away and then back at me. She ended up stopping in front of at 18 yards. I could then see 4 inch gash across the top of her back. She must have leaned really far away from me, because the broadhead blade simply went across her and clean cut the fur to the muscle, but didnt cut much meat.

She stood in front of me, where I had absolutely no cover, and started to look around and lick her wound. She was also doing what looked like large yawns, probably did it 7-8 times over the next 3 minutes in front of me. Mean while, I am trying to grab another arrow out of my quiver that is sitting on platform near my feet. I make my moves every time she looks away from me.

I end up getting drawn, and sending the SECOND SHOT through her perfectly double lung. She spun around and took off, and I watched her run 40 yards out of sight. Just about as soon as she got out of sight, into what appeard to be really thick stuff, I heard what I thought was a crash. I wasn't sure if she fell, or just busted through some thick brush. Snuck out and came back 45 minutes later and found her practically where I lost sight of her.

In the pic, you can see the first shot as well as the second. Both are entrances.

Shooting an 07 Martin Bengal at 26.5 draw and 72# with Muzzy 3 blade 100gr broadheads. Blood trail was consistent but nothing I would be bragging about.

First pic is the stand I was sitting in, second pic is the deer, 3rd is the dove from I believe that Sunday Morning, maybe Saturday morning I forget.
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice man congrats! Good luck this year!

Comment

Congrats on the doe.

Comment

Meat in the freezer, congrats.

Comment

Glad you were able to get that second shot, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by rbwilkes View Post
                  Nice man congrats! Good luck this year!
                  Thanks man, you too. Lookin forward to seeing some kills

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                  Glad you were able to get that second shot, congrats!
                  Me too, I have no clue why she stuck around. I guess she was maybe in shock a little and didnt know where to go. Getting that second arrow on my string was the hardest thing
                  Last edited by Patton; 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                        X