Snake dog??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake dog??

Well my family and I are in West Texas now and are fortunate enough to be building a house on the edge of a field. Rattle bugs seem to be fairly common out in West Texas and I was thinking about getting a dog that could handle a snake if it got in the yard. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name him Riki Tiki Taffey!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think his name would be unlucky. To get picked by a family then have to fight snakes for room and board. Lol

Comment

Get a JRT. They’ll kill a rattlesnake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s called barn cats

Comment

Get any ol dog you want and then get some guineas

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              It’s called barn cats
              ,^^^This^^^

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7fLCw-xc_w"]Cat vs. Rattlesnake - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

We live in Central Tx but have lots of rattlesnakes. We moved into a family house that was vacant for 5 yrs. Killwd 6 in a year from when we started working on it into living for a few months. We got cats immediately when we moved in. They are rat and mouse killing machines. They also cornered 2 rattlers that i killed (big ones, 4' plus) while they didn't kill the snakes, they were corned and buzzing like crazy, alerting me to their location.

I'm not familiar with a certain breed of dogs that will kill snakes...but i will say this. I've seen lots of snake bit dogs, some made it, some didn't. I don't recall ever seeing a snake bit cat.

Again a cat may not kill a bigger snake, but will drive the snake crazy either driving it away or at least alerting you to its location.

Comment

Bob Webster of KTSA 550 am says a pair of snake tongs are a must have for anyone living in the country.

Comment

If you are getting a dog for snake control follow these 2 rules: Keep your expectations low and buy cheap dogs.

Comment

I had a blue heeler that was a snake killing fool. He got hit several times but he always pulled through. Cats do fairly well on snakes too, but who likes a cat?

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                            Bob Webster of KTSA 550 am says a pair of snake tongs are a must have for anyone living in the country.

https://www.amazon.com/Gotobuy-Profe.../dp/B00R3WYFAE
                            Prefer a shotgun, myself...

Comment

We have had several dogs and cats get bit. All lived. Two of our cats had a Rattlesnake cornered last summer .

Comment

Working...
                              X