opinions on tuning issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on tuning issue?

Bowtech Prodigy tuned by a trusted bow tech. Everything in specs. Shoot through paper multiple times. Bullet holes.

Get it home. Broadheads hitting 5-6" right of fieldpoints (two different heads). No signs of fletching contact on the QAD HDX

Try rest tuning but can never bring them together.

I'm hoping I'm not underspined (shooting Carbon Express BLU 250s), but if I do the adjusted draw weight on the CE chart, I may be. Bow is maxed out at 62 lbs. 28" draw. 100 gr. heads.

I tried backing the weight off 2-3 turns to see if that would help, but nothing changed.

Taking it back to the shop soon but wanted to see what you gurus think??

Chew try a stiffer arrow for grins. I don't think your under spined. Are your field points hitting right? Give me a call later to discuss

Comment

I shoot carbon express mayhem 250's and my bow is 60/28 and I have no issues with arrows. Spray your fletchings with a spray powder and shoot just to make sure there isn't fetching contact on the rest. When you say 5" to 6" off of field tips, is this at 20 yrds or farther?

Comment

Shoot Rocky a PM, he will get you lined out. The shaft is borderline IMO and if the arrow is running a little longer could be a problem. However, if you backed it off three turns it should have dropped in the mid 50's and shown some improvement. I'm assuming it was yoke tuned to get good tears through paper, if not that's something to check.

Comment

They are off that much at 20 yds.

My eyes are getting bad but I'm pretty sure I can see some tail kick/correction going on but can't tell which way.

I sighted in with FP then shot BH. Both slicktrick and Magnus stinger hitting way right.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            Shoot Rocky a PM, he will get you lined out. The shaft is borderline IMO and if the arrow is running a little longer could be a problem. However, if you backed it off three turns it should have dropped in the mid 50's and shown some improvement. I'm assuming it was yoke tuned to get good tears through paper, if not that's something to check.
            Yessir. It was yoke tuned to get it right. The bowtech laser on the cam thingy was used and hitting where it was supposed to.

Comment

Good deal, just reach out to Rocky he's the resident Bowtech expert. Most modern bows tune better to the stiff side and many times a weak spine is stressed more when shooting broadheads. But that being said it should still be able to be tune better than you are seeing, you aren't way out.

Comment

Here is a thought. Take bow back to spec. So cams in sync. Set rest at 13/16. And set cam lean so it’s straight at draw. Or at rest top cam the arrow is center of string at loop. Set arrow level and through the center of burger hole.

Now take two arrows one fletch and one bare. Shoot it at same spot at 20 yards. If bare shaft is to the right nock left or to the left nock right. Then it’s you or it’s not behind the power stroke. If bare shaft is low nock high then you need to stiffen up arrow. If high nock low then weeken the arrow. Very important to put bow back to factory settings first.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  Here is a thought. Take bow back to spec. So cams in sync. Set rest at 13/16. And set cam lean so it’s straight at draw. Or at rest top cam the arrow is center of string at loop. Set arrow level and through the center of burger hole.

Now take two arrows one fletch and one bare. Shoot it at same spot at 20 yards. If bare shaft is to the right nock left or to the left nock right. Then it’s you or it’s not behind the power stroke. If bare shaft is low nock high then you need to stiffen up arrow. If high nock low then weeken the arrow. Very important to put bow back to factory settings first.
                  I would bareshaft tune as enewman is describing, this is the method that gets me the best results with arrow flight and thus broadheads. I would add that high or low hits is more often an issue of vertical nock travel than spine problems in my experience. Can be either or both though. I always spec an arrow that is on the stiff side though so that I don’t have this problem. If you can get a stiffer arrow to try this with at the same time you’ll see quickly if it’s a spine issue or not though. I say that high or low hits are generally showing me nock travel instead of spine problems because I’m almost always shooting a slightly stiff arrow for my setup. If you think you may me too weak, I’d get a stiffer arrow to try so that I could see if the results changed. If they do, you have an arrow spine problem. If they don’t (or don’t clear up entirely with a stiffer arrow), you have a vertical nock travel problem.

Bareshaft tuning requires very consistent shot execution, or you’ll just chase your tail trying to tune out issues that are really to do with your shooting and not the bow tune. If you think this may be a problem for you, you could alternatively paper test at different distances. It’s possible that the arrow is porpoising or something and was a bullet hole at the distance you paper tested but wouldn’t have been 3-5 yards later/earlier. I’ve not tried this as I’ve always gotten the results I needed with bareshaft tuning, but plenty of others have done this successfully with paper at various distances.

D

Comment

High and low are good. It's left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      High and low are good. It's left and right.
                      Then your spine is probably fine. If you were too weak, you’d be seeing a high/low impact issue as spine problems in compound rigs tend to show up vertically.

If you’re sure you don’t have a contact issue, then the power stroke of the bow is not directly behind the arrow and that’s why your broadheads are hitting to the right.

You can bareshaft tune or just tune based on your broadhead impact which is showing you the same thing. Set the rest back to it’s centershot spec as a starting point. Make sure your grip is what it should be, plenty of videos around demonstrating what that should look like. Adjust your yokes to get the broadheads and FPs impacting together.

D

Comment

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post
                        Then your spine is probably fine. If you were too weak, you’d be seeing a high/low impact issue as spine problems in compound rigs tend to show up vertically.

If you’re sure you don’t have a contact issue, then the power stroke of the bow is not directly behind the arrow and that’s why your broadheads are hitting to the right.

You can bareshaft tune or just tune based on your broadhead impact which is showing you the same thing. Set the rest back to it’s centershot spec as a starting point. Make sure your grip is what it should be, plenty of videos around demonstrating what that should look like. Adjust your yokes to get the broadheads and FPs impacting together.

D
                        This ^^^^^^^^

Comment

Thank y'all. Appreciate the info

Comment

Did you change your set up from last year?

Comment

I had the same issue with Chill-R (I know different bow) but I had cam lean at full draw on the top cam. Had to break it down & swap the limbs from side to side. Took care of the issue. I was shooting 125gr Solids.

Comment

Working...
                              X