TBH Sam Rayburn Crappie weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    My only question for you is...............

Did you go buy a couple batteries for that trolling motor remote?

Heck yeah. It actually worked out for the better. It took me over an hour to get all our stuff loaded, and I needed to be back before 1pm so the rib wouldn’t get upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
      We need name tags for next year. And some volunteers to cook. I don’t mind cooking, but I ended up not getting to chat much unless you came by my fryer or grill.

I bet we be more organized next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Pines in beautiful and there's some cabins around there. Sounds like a plan.
        Plus Grandpa Buff lives up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
          I had several people ask for the recipe for the smoked fish dip on Friday night. The trouble is, I don't really have a recipe just watched my Dad make it for 30 years. And, I just ad lib each batch I make now with the seasonings, the brine is the same each time.

I will make another batch soon and actually measure out ingredients and amount of fish, then I will post it. Sure, was nice to get to met a lot of very nice folks from here, looking forward to another one.
          This was just going to ask for it too....great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            Pines or Sandlin in winter. I fish year round! No difference to me!! Spring is my least favorite time to crappie fish honestly. Summertime they're in a pattern for several months. Winter find the shad catch the crappie!!

Long as you wear that purty yellar shirt again, and how come you did not give us the teaching lesson on Friday evening?

Comment

Pines or Sandlin in winter. I fish year round! No difference to me!! Spring is my least favorite time to crappie fish honestly. Summertime they're in a pattern for several months. Winter find the shad catch the crappie!!

Pick the place and date - I’ll be there. Just make sure they have RV spots. Maybe I can borrow my wife’s motorhome again!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Long as you wear that purty yellar shirt again, and how come you did not give us the teaching lesson on Friday evening?

I'll be sure and bring it!! Marty said my lesson wouldn't have made a difference!![emoji2]

I don't know anywhere decent to stay around Pines or Sandlin but somebody might. CAT stayed at several places at Pines last summer and nobody had anything good to say and one guy in the state park got robbed! We stayed at the house and drove there. It's only 70 miles. Beats staying in a dump with homeless people digging through your stuff or waking up from the bedbug bites![emoji33]

Comment

Sandlin has a couple good camping spots with cabins and stuff. I camp there a few times a year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by duckmanep; 06-04-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Slew how do you target the big ones? Anything your looking for in particular? The tops we found seemed to have a ton of small ones on it.

Comment

What about Lake Fork? There are tons of places to stay, just avoid early spring when the bass are on the beds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                        Slew how do you target the big ones? Anything your looking for in particular? The tops we found seemed to have a ton of small ones on it.

Sometimes you can see better fish on your SI so you know what piles to fish. But usually it's trial and error. If I see a pile loaded with fish we stop and fish it for 5-10 minutes. If all were catching is small fish we leave. A lot of the better fish were suspended pretty high in the water column and would hit the jig pitched out and swam over top of them. If you pulled straight up on the pile first thing you scared those fish off. Most of our keepers came off main lake brush this year. Fishing the cove there around Jackson hill I think we only had 20 or so keepers in a couple hours Friday. Went out to the mainlake and pulled 15/20 off one pile. We had one pile in Jackson hill I think we caught 4-5 keepers off of Friday. Went back to it Sat afternoon and it was marked with a gatoraid bottle![emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          What about Lake Fork? There are tons of places to stay, just avoid early spring when the bass are on the beds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Fork in the summertime is good! Some big crappie there. Catfishing is good and I think the lakes known for big green trashfish as well![emoji106]
                          I have a camp at Pelican Point on the west arm in Williams creek.

Comment

Sometimes you can see better fish on your SI so you know what piles to fish. But usually it's trial and error. If I see a pile loaded with fish we stop and fish it for 5-10 minutes. If all were catching is small fish we leave. A lot of the better fish were suspended pretty high in the water column and would hit the jig pitched out and swam over top of them. If you pulled straight up on the pile first thing you scared those fish off. Most of our keepers came off main lake brush this year. Fishing the cove there around Jackson hill I think we only had 20 or so keepers in a couple hours Friday. Went out to the mainlake and pulled 15/20 off one pile. We had one pile in Jackson hill I think we caught 4-5 keepers off of Friday. Went back to it Sat afternoon and it was marked with a gatoraid bottle![emoji2]

I cant see the individual fish with my Lowrance Hook5 ( downscan ), do I need a higher end unit to see them, or is it possibly because my boat is so light it bounces in the waves too much it distorts or?

( Im the hushpuppy guy with the old jonboat )

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                              I cant see the individual fish with my Lowrance Hook5 ( downscan ), do I need a higher end unit to see them, or is it possibly because my boat is so light it bounces in the waves too much it distorts or?

( Im the hushpuppy guy with the old jonboat )

If you can see fish your good. All a larger screen does for you is gives you a bigger picture to look at. I run my lowrance 12 with side imaging scrolled across the bottom half. Map in the top left half and regular 2d sonar in top right. Bigger screen just shows you more detail when scanning. Take a 7" screen and split it in half for each side of the boat. Now run 80' on either side and scan. A brushpile the size of your boat is gonna look like the size of a pencil eraser. That's all a bigger screen does for you is makes the picture a little bigger especially when you go splitting screens up. You are getting some distortion from the light boat bouncing around as well. Down imaging is really nice to show you what's down there but side imaging is how you find it all. SI has completely changed fishing. No more guessing what's down there or if there's fish on it!!

Comment

I didn't realize this event was this weekend. We came up Saturday around noon. Spent most of sat and Sunday pulling the kids on the tube but did manage 20-30 crappie and about 20 bass. Didn't get any fish pics but got a few of the girls playing. Wish I would have known everyone was there, would have been nice to meet y'all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X