Why are some 243 really loud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are some 243 really loud?

Is this true ? Are some 243 really loud to shoot? Why is that? I told em deer Gus are loud but they laugh at me? They all loud in a tin blind....what do you think ? Does your deer rifle bark?

No, but my dog does......

Comment

Most deer rifles are pretty loud. FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        Is this true ? Are some 243 really loud to shoot? Why is that? I told em deer Gus are loud but they laugh at me? They all loud in a tin blind....what do you think ? Does your deer rifle bark?
        Do you know the one whats called Pushbutton2 ?

Comment

Loud compared to what? No louder than hunting calibers that size/larger I dont think. Atleast I don't notice it. Unless gun has a brake etc I don't consider a 243 any louder than anything else unless your talking about a smaller caliber gun

Comment

Probably has to do with barrel length or brake

Comment

What is a “brake” and what’s its purpose? Why would a muzzle brake make a rifle louder?

Comment

What is a “brake” and what’s its purpose? Why would a muzzle brake make a rifle louder?
                It's supposed to help with recoil. I don't know if they make them much louder necessarily but you can feel the concussion a lot more with a rifle with a ported barrel.

My .223 seems louder than my 22-250 to me. It's also got a shorter barrel. The shorter the barrel the worse it's going to be. Take a .22mag for example. A rifle is no big deal. Not uncomfortable to shoot at all. But you put the same cartridge in a pistol and your ears will ring.
                Last edited by okrattler; 09-27-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Length of barrel. I think the longer barrels balance better too
                  Ear protection in a box blind is never a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Do you know the one whats called Pushbutton2 ?
                    Pushbutton 3

Comment

my 458 socom barks real loud,, short barrel (16")and a muzzle brake!

it takes a big bite too!!

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        It's supposed to help with recoil. I don't know if they make them much louder necessarily but you can feel the concussion a lot more with a rifle with a ported barrel.

My .223 seems louder than my 22-250 to me. It's also got a shorter barrel. The shorter the barrel the worse it's going to be. Take a .22mag for example. A rifle is no big deal. Not uncomfortable to shoot at all. But you put the same cartridge in a pistol and your ears will ring.
                        muzzle brake will always make them louder

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          muzzle brake will always make them louder
                          True. But to me the concussion makes it that much worse. I've shot a 45-70 with a ported barrel and it made my ear drums feel like they were going to pop.

My buddy shot a raccoon in the head with his AR-10 in .308 while I was standing next to him and I felt like my heart skipped a beat. That muzzle blast on rifles that have them are brutal. I'd rather have a rifle kick the crap out of me than to have to deal with that.

Comment

They are an 80/100 grain bullet. Hell yes they are loud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Try shooting a Model 70 Featherweight in .22-250 at a hog while sitting in the driver's seat and shooting out the passenger window--muzzle is inside the cab--and I forgot to put my muffs on. OUCH! Then pig #2 came back and I did it again--double OUCH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X