Surf fishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf fishing help

Going to Destin middle of June and my son wants to fish off the beach. What type of setup does he need? Bait? Thanks for any advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

med action rod , throw a silver spoon or I prefer a mann-o lure 1/2 oz. That time of yr there u can limit on mackerel off the pier in no time

Comment

Originally posted by hunterdrake View Post
      Going to Destin middle of June and my son wants to fish off the beach. What type of setup does he need? Bait? Thanks for any advise.

A little spinning rig is fine. Try to get a rod at least 7' and a PVC rod holder. There are several bait/tackle shops around (favorite one is Half Hitch) and they sell pompano rigs. Fresh dead shrimp is good off the beach on a pompano rig. Really easy fishing if no grass. Get a little bigger rig if you want to go after blacktips in the late evening/night. If you can't catch blacktips, you can't fish. :-) Fun to catch and good eating as well. Halfhitch has a website that is fairly informative as well. Sandfleas can be caught with a rake as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterdrake View Post

Go after pompano they are one of the best eating fish. You can use the pomp rig with fresh shrimp or even the small gulp crab or shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!

Comment

We are heading there for a week in late July.

I have fished salt in LA and TX all my life. Never in FL. I have read and heard the sand fleas work really well. I also plan to bring fish bites to try as well.

What I am curious about is bringing the kayak. I have heard you can paddle about 1/2 mile out and catch stuff like Tuna? Do not know if it is true, or what to even use, I have never been an offshore guy, always in shore targeting speck, red, and flounder. Does anybody know if its worth hauling the kayak? Or should I stay on land?

Can you catch specks and pompano on artificial in the surf there? Like on a DSL, gulp/popper, or mirrolure?

Comment

Never caught tuna but on calm days I’ll take a paddle board 1/2-1 mile out and catch bonito all day long (yeah it’s a type of tuna but they don’t taste great). Also got lucky once and got into a school of mahi but that is not super common. If you have a paddle drive kayak you can troll up and down the beach with silver ribbon fish and do a number on King mackerel. Just make sure you have wire leader.

Originally posted by Flex View Post

I have fished salt in LA and TX all my life. Never in FL. I have read and heard the sand fleas work really well. I also plan to bring fish bites to try as well.

What I am curious about is bringing the kayak. I have heard you can paddle about 1/2 mile out and catch stuff like Tuna? Do not know if it is true, or what to even use, I have never been an offshore guy, always in shore targeting speck, red, and flounder. Does anybody know if its worth hauling the kayak? Or should I stay on land?

Can you catch specks and pompano on artificial in the surf there? Like on a DSL, gulp/popper, or mirrolure?

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

I spent a week in Navarre, which is between Pensacola and Destin, and the surf fishing sucks. You may be able to catch some lady fish or a Spanish mackerel at best. Certain times of the year pompano run, but we didn't catch any. I used sand fleas, shrimp, and fish bites. I'm pretty sure I didn't even get a bite. I fished about 3 days from shore and didn't catch a single fish in the surf or get a bite. I would definitely haul the kayak and offshore fish. I ended up renting one and caught several kingfish within eye sight of the beach. There's a pier in Navarre an people were catching them from the pier. On the last day I went on a "guided" kayak trip offshore, and we caught red snapper, kings, and Spanish mackerel. The guy that took me told me it's not uncommon to catch dolphin. You definitely won't catch any trout in the surf. It's nothing like it is here in Texas or Louisiana.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                I spent a week in Navarre, which is between Pensacola and Destin, and the surf fishing sucks. You may be able to catch some lady fish or a Spanish mackerel at best. Certain times of the year pompano run, but we didn't catch any. I used sand fleas, shrimp, and fish bites. I'm pretty sure I didn't even get a bite. I fished about 3 days from shore and didn't catch a single fish in the surf or get a bite. I would definitely haul the kayak and offshore fish. I ended up renting one and caught several kingfish within eye sight of the beach. There's a pier in Navarre an people were catching them from the pier. On the last day I went on a "guided" kayak trip offshore, and we caught red snapper, kings, and Spanish mackerel. The guy that took me told me it's not uncommon to catch dolphin. You definitely won't catch any trout in the surf. It's nothing like it is here in Texas or Louisiana.
                Wow. Thanks for the advice. Last year my cousins caught some bull reds and small sharks off the beach. But they were just using sand fleas and shrimp.

I will have to watch more youtube and start reading more about kayaking it. I have never kayaked in surf and it makes me a little anxious! Will I be able to land bonita and macks on my in shore stuff? Like a 7'M with a leader?

Comment

What does floridas
                  fishing license run and where can u get it?

Comment

Working...
                  X