Rattle Snake Antivenim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle Snake Antivenim

It’s that time of the year...is the canine anti the same as a human antivenin? Is it available and how much should it cost? What do you do if you or your dog gets bit by a Copper Head? Thanks in advance

Not sure it's the same but for humans it's about $2000 a dose. And yes I know from experience.

Comment

They told my buddy 1650 Brown County......that just don’t seem right or...

Comment

Its roughly 30 to 40 dollars for a dog. You have to have it in them in advance. Its 2 rounds. Basically every 6 months. We have a place in west tx so my dog stays up to date

Comment

Idk about dogs, but when I got bit by a copperhead in 2017, just the bill for CroFab anti venom was $27,000! That doesn’t count the ER room, ambulance ride from halletsville to Victoria or the 3 days in the hospital. Still can’t wiggle the toes on my left foot and my big toe is always freezing cold!

Comment

We use to give our dogs old warm cooking grease when they were bitten I got nothing when a rattler bite me. I've heard the antivenin is sometimes worst than the snake bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              It’s that time of the year...is the canine anti the same as a human antivenin? Is it available and how much should it cost? What do you do if you or your dog gets bit by a Copper Head? Thanks in advance
              I've had 3 dogs bit by copperheads and all were fine in less than 24 hours. I gave them Benadryl but don't know if it was even necessary. My Brit got hit on Sun. and never slowed down. If his snout wasn't a little swollen and my terrier mix hadn't barked like crazy at the snake before she destroyed it I would have never known he got bit.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                Its roughly 30 to 40 dollars for a dog. You have to have it in them in advance. Its 2 rounds. Basically every 6 months. We have a place in west tx so my dog stays up to date
                You’re talking about the rattle snake vaccine. He’s asking about the antivenin for treatment. It’s much pricier than that

Comment

Give him benedryl for copperhead. Take off his collar.

Comment

Raw eggs for copperheads is all we ever did.

Does NOT work for cats. They always died.
                    Last edited by 3whunt; 05-14-2019, 09:44 PM. Reason: Cats

Comment

I just saw somewhere, that you should give dogs and cats children's liquid Benadryl. The same place I read that, said, if they get bit on the torso, there is not much that can be done for them.
                      I know growing up we had many dogs bit by rattlers, never took them to the vet, after they had been bitten a few times, they would not swell up much and would be fine a day later. Now we have a small dog and a cat, I don't think either would handle a snake bite like the german shepherds did.

Comment

I've always just heard of giving dogs benadryl if they get bit. I don't have any experience with the shots for dogs but I've heard they work.

What I'd do and what everyone else would do if they,or their dog were bit by a copperhead is completely different I'm sure. We'd both take Benadryl. I've had antivenin in my veins and it's expensive....way expensive. Most likely a finger or toe will turn black and rot off if it's bad. But the way I see it is there's a reason we were born with 10 of each. I have spares.

But no a dogs ain't the same as ours. I've tried Benadryl for a rattlesnake bite and it didn't work the same. I didn't really think about having a different immune system as a dog. The swelling in my hand and arm just got worse. I don't know the exact difference in the antidote for a snake bite for a dog compared to a humans but there's something different about it.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 05-14-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

My daughter has two Jack Russels that usually get bit at least once per year by copper heads. She keeps injectable Benadryl on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                            I've had 3 dogs bit by copperheads and all were fine in less than 24 hours. I gave them Benadryl but don't know if it was even necessary. My Brit got hit on Sun. and never slowed down. If his snout wasn't a little swollen and my terrier mix hadn't barked like crazy at the snake before she destroyed it I would have never known he got bit.
                            This ^^^ for copperheads and moccasins. 1 pill per 10 pounds of body weight up to 5 pills every 4-8 hours. Most dogs recover within 24 hours. My Lacy got hit on the chest, just below his neck. He needed 5 pills, but only once.

Rattlesnakes - my vet said the vaccine will buy you time, but get to the vet asap. Rattlesnake venom acts differently than the other vipers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              Rattlesnakes - my vet said the vaccine will buy you time, but get to the vet asap. Rattlesnake venom acts differently than the other vipers.
                              Yep. As mentioned, the rattlesnake vaccine usually ranges between $25-$50 depending on who is giving it. One of my dogs got bit on the nose last year. I was pretty sure it was dry but took her in to get treated just to make sure. The bill was a little over $1000 and that was for after hours treatment. Snake Avoidance training is probably the best advice and usually runs between $75-100.

Comment

Working...
                              X