Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Oak - Looking for the right fertilizer for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Oak - Looking for the right fertilizer for it.

I bought a 15 foot Red Oak last year and I want to make sure it lives a long time.

What kind of fertilizer should I use?

I personally use the Jobe Fertilizer spikes. Hammer 3 around the canopy base in a triangular shape. Used them on Magnolias, Live Oaks and Red Oaks.

Comment

Comment

Put a nice mulch ring around it. Just don't let the mulch touch the tree.

Comment

Dynamite All Purpose 18-6-8 controlled release fertilizer provides a steady and continuous supply of macronutrients and micronutrients for up to 9 months.

I follow this.

Comment

Use a 3-1-2 formula at 1 cup per inch of diameter. I use 15/5/10. Spike it into the ground if possible. I spike mine into the ground but I have a spike i built to do it.

Comment

2 questions

1. Where do you have it planted ( meaning soil type )
              2. Where did the tree come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                I personally use the Jobe Fertilizer spikes. Hammer 3 around the canopy base in a triangular shape. Used them on Magnolias, Live Oaks and Red Oaks.

I really hate those things. Used them one year and went back to granular. They always broke off/busted up trying to drive them in the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always used the regular fertilizer, 13-13-13.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    2 questions

1. Where do you have it planted ( meaning soil type )
                    2. Where did the tree come from?

Grayson county
                    Grayson county tree farmer

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post

I used these spikes and now my leaves are turning brown. Hope this tree is not dying. We paid some good money for it.

Comment

I always had good luck with the spikes

Comment

Me as well!

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                          I always had good luck with the spikes
                          I've used Jobe tree spikes at my ranch for years, never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                            Grayson county
                            Grayson county tree farmer
                            That is excellent news. Too many people will get a tree from a tree farm that will be from the South east where the trees get lots of water and grow fast. Then that tree with genetics for the soil in the SE get to texas and they dont do well. Yellow in 3 years and dead by 5 no matter what soil amendments you try. I would ask the local tree farm what he is successful with.

I also always had better experience planting a smaller tree. They tend to recover faster and once get settled take off. Compared to a large tree that has been babied in a tree farm for 5-6 years getting watered regularly, constant fertilizer. They tend to get more shock and dont adapt to the real life as well. Takes them longer to get established.

Comment

Planting in April may have something to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X